The Continuing Decline of Google Search - 2013 - 2014

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Prepare to welcome back the content farms to your search results. All of them.

I was doing some searches on terms Elsmar used to rank highly for last year. These days sites like Ask.com, Ehow and "the usual subjects" (large companies) are back - Often they fill the whole page not counting the paid ads results.

To those of you who have been on the internet for a while, what is your opinion of Google search these days?

If you use other search engines, what do you use?

What search strategies do you use?

K

kgott

Re: The Continuing Decline of Google Search - 2013

I saw a TED presentation a year or so ago in which it was stated that the internet will be tailorised to suit each users details. Therefore what one sees when getting on the net will be different for each person. I frequent and international forum based in the US and in that I see advertisements for goods and services from my home town????

I have read that google makes sure that when doing a search for a type of website that is unpopular with the powers that be, such web sites are often now found right at the back pages which means that one has to scroll through all the pages to get to the back. That is, unless of course one types in the name of a particular website then it comes up

C

cSpeedy

I'm a long time Google user and (GASP!) also spent over a decade in SEO in my past. Google has been steadily going downhill and it's their own fault-
- Search results are now heavily influenced by money. If a company doesn't buy ads, good luck. The small business is especially hit by the squeeze. Good for stock shares, but it's like using a phone book only with some companies just plain omitted.
- Last year social media became critical. So every tom, dick and harry company had to create a facebook account. Is everyone tired of seeing TV ads asking you to join a company on facebook yet? Think about it. Hospitals, manufacturers, brokerage firms, everyone needs a facebook page to stay relevant in searches. And most just told all their employees to go on and like them.
- The blog became a great tool. But now that's been killed because now it's not the blog, it's how well the author is liked in social media. The circle continues!
I could go on.

But...yes, I'm still a google user. Before I used to get what I wanted on page one search results. Now I'll go deeper to page 2 and 3 and sometimes more, because the first pages are filled with garbage, or companies that I know paid to be there, or nothing of interest. I frequently put part of my key phrase in quotes to get better search results.
I've been foraying into yahoo and bing, and sometimes ask.com. If Google isn't careful, one of these days, I may not come back.
As to personalization, I delete my cookies, history, and other tracking data every time I close my browser, which may be multiple times per day. Maybe I've lost something in the new age experience, but the sheer volumes of data being collected on individuals - and the lack of regulation for data protection - is frightening.

Big Jim

Admin

It sure isn't what it used to be. It seems obvious that you are directed where Google wants to direct you. I'm certain that their are sources out there that Google just doesn't want to cough up.

Trying to find the lowest price on the internet today? It just doesn't seem too likely any more.

Unfortunately, Google is pretty much the only game in town. I hate it when you have a sole source provider and they seem to no long care about anything but themselves.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

I typically use Google, but I'm in cSpeedy's camp. Lots of quotes and other modifiers to get what I'm really looking for.

But, to me it's just the evolution of the internet in general. My level of disappointment of what the internet has become is part of it. It's so big now that it's easy to get lost in the maze, not to mention the degree of commercialization.

I use Google most of the time. Big Jim said it:
Unfortunately, Google is pretty much the only game in town.
It is also clear that it is not what it used to be (to the users), and one of these days that will bite them: We all know that an alternative will pop up when you lose your edge.

/Claes

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

I am still using Google. I am not having too much trouble, but I have adapted my search style by automatically adding more specificity and quotes as needed.

Occasionally, I will go to the advanced search to use the exclusion capabilities. I was doing a search on g & t-charts and hit three pages of nothing but rants from smarter solutions, and had to exclude all content from them.

I periodically will try Bing to see whether they have improved, but keep coming back to Google.

Jim G

Involved In Discussions

I still use Google as my number 1. As Big Jim says it's still the only game in town.
I dip into Bing and Ask now and again but they are not improving fast enough to overtake google.

D

db

I was Dogpile for a while, but they mostly return google results. I mostly use Bing now, and it seems to serve me well.

Top Bottom