Section 6.2.2.4 - Employee Motivation and Empowerment

K

Kerry

Section 6.2.2.4 Employee motivation and empowerment, states that "the organization shall have a process to motivate employees to achieve quality objectives, to make continual improvements, and to create an environment to promote innovation."

We have an employee suggestion program, which we promote heavily and which pays out on suggestions that are implemented. We also have profit sharing. I think both of these things encourage continual improvement and innovation. But, I'm concerned that this may not be enough. Has anyone seen any systems in place to address this requirement?

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Not sure what you are talking about, 9001-2000 section 6.2.2 is as far as it goes? Maybe you have a DIS copy?

A

Arte

Gpanter, I think this is of second edition (draft) of TS, In our organization we use a Club of ideas that achievement of continous improvement, and some of them are about innovations.
We also have a trainning program in the year to promote the quality concepts, policy and objetives and also use the Balance Scorecard like a way to measure the effectivness of those programs.
Regards
Arte

K

Kerry

Sorry - Arte was right. That is from the final draft of TS16949 and not from ISO9001:2000.

Does anyone actually have a system in place to assess current levels of employee satisfaction? Is that necessary, or am I reading too much into this?

A

Arte

Hi kerry, in our organization we use an anual survey, I don't know how i write in english but is like " Organizational Weather" if you need a copy a send you (is in spanish languaje), this survey assesment the objective, policy and other topics related with our QMS.
Regards
Arte:thedeal:

Randy

Super Moderator
Motivation is kind of an ambiguous term. Motavated to work, stay, be nice, cooperate, etc...

The key to motivation is to keep employees stimulated (throw ice water on them, put their feet to the fire?), show an interest in them (scan their Email and web visits?), provide them intellectual activity (create new rules, thou shalt's and thou shalt not's?), earn their trust (use ifo from open door policy to burn the snitchers and snitchee's?) and keep them interested (new management scheme of the month?).

You want to know about motivation? Call some companies of 1,000 employees or better that have an employee retention rate of at least 98%, and employees with over 40 years of service. Find out what they do to motivate. That kind of company exists. I know because I'm consulting to one right now.

:bigwave:

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Kerry,

You may want to do a search on Motivation. There is a ton of stuff here that migh help you understand what motivation is, and, is not.

Motivation is intrinsic. Only the individual can create motivation. The best management can do is to provide an environment where Motivation can flourish.

My thinking, if you learn more about motivation, you will figure out ways to detect whether motivation is there or not. Randy's comments are sadly true, but understand, throwing Ice Water creates Movement, not Motivation. I feel this distinction must be made.

Please read Fredrick Herzberg's paper "One more time: How do you motivate employees?" that you can find on the Internet in a few locations. It is worth your while.

Regards,

Kevin

A

Arte

Kevin i think that other people can influence strongly into other to motivate, for this reason exist lidership in the word. I agree with you that the Mangement shall create the "rigth" enviromental, but the other important part is that the management should be like they speak. It is like "lidership by example"
Ragards Arte:thedeal:

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Arte,

You are correct regarding folks in Leadership roles inspiring folks to find the motivation in themselves. Leadership by example - is there another way? Hopefully, leaders can create the right environments, share a strong vision, and create the following necessary to make change happen.

Regards,

Kevin

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
In order for an organization to achieve it's goals, it is very important for management to understand motivation and the factors that affect motivation. It has been said "for every negative there has to be 100 positives to make up. Most organizations are deep in the hole.

Last edited:
Top Bottom