TUR (test uncertainty ratio) based on Standard or Expanded Measurement Uncertainty?

ScottBP

Involved In Discussions
Hey gang,

Simple question with an important impact I'm having a hard time finding an answer to: Is the Test Uncertainty Ratio (T.U.R.) based on the standard uncertainty, or the expanded uncertainty? For example, if I calculate a 1 volt source to have a ±2 ppm standard uncertainty and my meter has a ±9 ppm tolerance, the T.U.R. is a nice 4.5. However, if the uncertainty is expanded to k=2 (4 ppm), then the T.U.R. drops to a measly 2.25. Which is right? If I need to calculate a guardbanding factor because of a low T.U.R., how do I do that? :frust:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Re: TUR (test uncertainty ratio) based on Standard or Expanded Measurement Uncertaint

I believe ANSI/NCSL Z540.3-2006 Clause 5.3 uses expanded uncertainty.....

However, that approach is two-tailed.....so twice the expanded uncertainty compared to twice the tolerance.....so long as tolerance is twice the uncertainty you have 4:1.....

I will post the specific language a bit later, I don't feel like digging it out right now.....

Now, if you have an extra couple of hundred bucks you can buy the Z540.3 Handbook which is finally out (only 2 years and 8 months after the standard).....it tells you how to do guardbanding to do the 2% false accept....

Hope this helps.....

ScottBP

Involved In Discussions
Re: TUR (test uncertainty ratio) based on Standard or Expanded Measurement Uncertaint

Now, if you have an extra couple of hundred bucks you can buy the Z540.3 Handbook which is finally out (only 2 years and 8 months after the standard).....it tells you how to do guardbanding to do the 2% false accept....

Is it the same one available for download at the NCSLI store for $90, or did someone else write a companion handbook? (A search for Z540.3 at the ANSI store turns up zero.)

Top Bottom