NCR (Nonconformance Report) vs. MRB (Material Review Board)

• Thread starter ttwerp65 - 2009
  • Start date
T

ttwerp65 - 2009

I am currently working on my non-conforming product/materials procedure. What I am trying to figure out is, the non-conformance report and the Mrb seem in alot of ways to be a duplication of information. Both have discrepacy and disposition. Under ISO9001:2000 can you use one form to accomplish both or am I misunderstanding these procedures.:confused:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: NCR vs MRB

You seem to be misunderstanding the purposes of the two; in most instances the NCR (Nonconformance Report) is input to the MRB (Material Review Board) process. The flow usually goes something like,
  • A nonconforming condition is discovered and documented via the NCR.
  • The material is segregated and marked (or perhaps segregated by marking it).
  • A copy of the NCR is forwarded to the MRB.
  • The MRB meets and determines a disposition for the NC material. Some possible dispositions are rework, scrap, use-as-is, return to vendor, etc.
If you have two different documents, you should tell us about them, and what purpose they serve.

T

ttwerp65 - 2009

Thanks for the response. First off, we are about 30 employees strong in our company. Many of us wearing diffrent shoes. When a nonconformance is detected we are alerted, material is tagged and segregated. We being Quality and manufacturing mgr. We investigate and determine the problem make adjustments and requalify program. This happens in the same office with the same people 5 feet away. This process seems to, at least in our situation, create extra paperwork for the sake of extra paperwork. I was wondering if this step could be combined and still comply.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I'm still not understanding. Do you have two different documents? No documents? The important thing is that some sort of record is created to document what happens, and you can use one or more, depending on what works for you.

T

ttwerp65 - 2009

I am currently documenting a procedure for N/C. There is at this time no system in place. They have been working off a Mil-i standard. I was hired to systemize organization. We have now began the process of working towards an Iso9001:2000 certification. This issued I have questioned has come to light due to my research on nonconforming material/product procedures I have seen done in other companies. I am trying to figure out what would work best in this organization and still comply to the standard. I have at this time have both forms, but they have not been activated.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

We're getting closer. You have "both forms." By this I take it to mean an MRB form and an NCR form? There's no reason that you can't (or shouldn't) combine them. Just out of curiousity, what information does the MRB form call for?

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

We do everything right on our Nonconforming Material tag. We identify the nonconformance, show disposition by the authorized personnel, keep track of rework hours and any subcontracted rework operations for job costing and, finally, show reinspection by the authorized personnel.

Our tag is posted somewhere around here...I'll look for it.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

Cari is right. It is best to keep it simple and only have 1 document for both the NCR and the MRB action.

T

ttwerp65 - 2009

Ncr#, tag#, customer, p/o, p/n, tag#, qty, sales order#, work order, drawing and description, customer contact, discrepancy, disposition, signature boxes: Q.A, manufacturing and customer reps, and of course dates. This was create within the company, not a purchased format.

Top Bottom