Training the Psychology of Quality

S

SimpleIsGood

So, Deming talked about "the psychology of quality" in his Theory of Profound Knowledge. As I put together a quality training program for our hourly assemblers (factory level, HS education), what should I include in talk about the psychology of quality?

• Do they need to know about how their OWN mind might look at, skip over, focus on or fuzz out over a quality problem?
  • Should I talk about the psychology of selling their improvement ideas up the chain of command?
  • What would YOU talk about with untrained, hourly assembly?
  • What do you think would be most helpful to them, and beneficial to the/my/your company?
  • What expectations would you set relative to mindset?

All suggestions welcome.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
None of the above.

The Psychology portion was directed at management. It covered motivation, learning/teaching styles, psychology of change and management of change. None of these are relevant to your target audience.

They would benefit from understanding variation and the impact of "tampering". That is things that are directly relevant to them.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
So, Deming talked about "the psychology of quality" in his Theory of Profound Knowledge. As I put together a quality training program for our hourly assemblers (factory level, HS education), what should I include in talk about the psychology of quality?

• Do they need to know about how their OWN mind might look at, skip over, focus on or fuzz out over a quality problem?
  • Should I talk about the psychology of selling their improvement ideas up the chain of command?
  • What do you think would be most helpful to them, and beneficial to the/my/your company?

All suggestions welcome.

SimpleIsGood,

Teach the top managers to lead and how to create and maintain a system that helps the assemblers do even better work.

Have the leaders remove the impediments to good productive work. This may include selecting and developing the people who enjoy assembly work. It usually includes removing the fear, listening actively and acting on what is wrong and what could be done better and easier. Workers want to see their ideas implemented every day.

Most assemblers need no behavioral training to tap into their desire to do better work but they respond to their leaders treating them with the utmost respect.

John

K

kgott

All suggestions welcome.

I would not talk about the psychology of quality to such people it will go way over their heads. I tell them their job is use the processes and documentation that management have authorised for use, (which they have been given to use.)

I tell they are use these processes and documentation correctly because management has planned and designed the process and documentation for it to done that way.

I tell them our quality management system is our project management and delivery system and nothing else.

Remember, people go back to basics, i.e., tell me /show what I have to do and I'll do it.

when they have become integrated into the organisation and they have been there for a while then you can start talking to them about the nice to know fluffly stuff.

Hope I don't sound theory x here because that is not intended. I have learned what I have said by visiting this forum and from learning the hard way.

Top Bottom