Screw Thread Inspection Methods

G

Gordon Clarke

I wrote the PDF attached in my posting in How to the Measure Minor Diameter of Internal Threads on page 5 on various screw thread measurement methods a few years ago and updated it recently as information in another post where it doesn't exactly belong.

Please note that it is intended for the methods used for inspection at the machine by the machine operator and does not include the type of (expensive) gauging normally associated with labs, calibration facilities and/or special temperature controlled measuring rooms. Furthermore, all methods described are for inspecting threaded components and NOT for measurement / calibration of gauges.

If anyone wishes to add to or discuss the advantages and disadvantages listed in the PDF I'll give it very careful thought and if anyone points out any actual mistakes then these will of course be rectified. The same applies to new addition methods that could be relevant to make the PDF as comprehensive as possible. The "perfect" screw thread inspection method probably doesn't exist, but each method has its advantages and disadvantages, so it is up to the user/buyer to decide the best "buy" to solve the task on hand. For example, I can't imagine a company buying special Go/No go thread rings or plug gauges for a 1 off or a trial order delivery (but still want to deliver a faultless product), although that might be the best long term solution assuming receipt of an order.

In short, all comments are welcome ;)

If we can get Wayne "gageguy" in on this thread then the gauging angle will be well covered :bigwave:

G

Gordon Clarke

Hopefully the updated version of :

Advantages and disadvantages of various thread inspection and measurement methods
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] can be found here now in the attachment.

Attachments

• 401b.pdf
    262.9 KB · Views: 526
Top Bottom