BECO Taper Screw Thread Specifications

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
I know it is a little weird, me asking for information on threads, but...
I was just wondering if anyone out there would be able to help me find information on the BECO taper thread form. This is a coarse thread mainly used in drill pipes (blasthole/mining/rock drilling). The only information that I have is the following:
Connection Sizes: 3-1/2" to 8"
2 Threads per Inch
3"Taper per Foot
60° included flank angle
If someone knows what standard this is and also where to find information on the screw thread profile details/specs. would be greatly appreciated.

I am not asking for free specifications, but even if the specifications can be purchased, where to go for them and what to ask for.

If this thread needs to be moved to a more appropriate place in Elsmar Cove, please feel free to move it.

Thanks all.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I know it is a little weird, me asking for information on threads, but...
I was just wondering if anyone out there would be able to help me find information on the BECO taper thread form. This is a coarse thread mainly used in drill pipes (blasthole/mining/rock drilling). The only information that I have is the following:
2 Threads per Inch
3"Taper per Foot
60° included flank angle
If someone knows what standard this is and also where to find information on the screw thread profile details/specs. would be greatly appreciated.

I am not asking for free specifications, but even if the specifications can be purchased, where to go for them and what to ask for.

If this thread needs to be moved to a more appropriate place in Elsmar Cove, please feel free to move it.

Thanks all.

Wayne,

From what I have been able to gather using Google is that this appears a drilling equipment manufacturing (BECO) company-specific thread. So the standard/specs may be maintained by that company only. I'll continue to explore. BTW, I noticed this question being raised on another forum as well...

This document contains some specifics about BECO threads. (Click on the various document tabs)

Stijloor.

Last edited:

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
From what I have been able to gather using Google …. I noticed this question being raised on another forum as well...
Stijloor;
Yes, I did the Google thing too. :cool: I saw the other post, and noticed that it is several years old with no replies; regardless; that is how I found the text for my post. :lol: Why reinvent the wheel; however; I did add to it some information which I learned in my search.
From what I have been able to gather … this appears a drilling equipment manufacturing (BECO) company-specific thread.
I agree with all of this, but I was unable to find the BECO Company. It is possible that this company is long gone. The screw thread seems to have been around for a lot of years.
… the standard/specs may be maintained by that company only.
While initiated by BECO (whoever they might be) the screw thread is in wide use in the drilling industry, mainly in mining.
This document contains some specifics about BECO threads
Yes it does have a basic sketch of a BECO screw threaded connection, but the other data given about the BECO screw thread is less than I have stated in my original post.

I have contacted some major manufacturers of API thread gages in USA and they do not have the information either.

The information that I have to date is the following:
2 Threads per Inch
3" Taper per Foot
60° included flank angle

The next piece of basic information for which I search is a list of standard BECO screw thread sizes. This should be the easiest to find.

What will be more difficult to find will be the tolerances used for this screw thread. It may be that because of the steep taper of the BECO screw thread, any male and female will fit together if made reasonably close to the basic size.

Thanks for your help, :agree1:

I am also continuing my search.

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Well I now have a list of the standard BECO thread sizes which I found on an oil field pipe supply website.

The standard sizes appear to be: 3-1/2"; 4"; 4-1/2"; 5-1/4"; 6"; 8"; 10".

I have come into a very poor copy of a 6" BECO Box and Pin. :notme: I think the drawing is of the product thread, not the gages. I do not know if the drawing was produced by BECO or by some third party. As poor as the drawing is, the place where I got the drawing has asked that I not share the drawing, :( so do not ask.

What I can see on the drawing is that I am looking for the Design Pitch Diameters.

From the drawing I can tell that the Design Pitch Diameters are not identical for box and pin of same size thread.

So, continuing my search for data...Does anyone have Design Pitch Diameters for BECO threads that they would be willing to share? :agree1:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Well I now have a list of the standard BECO thread sizes which I found on an oil field pipe supply website.

The standard sizes appear to be: 3-1/2"; 4"; 4-1/2"; 5-1/4"; 6"; 8"; 10".

I have come into a very poor copy of a 6" BECO Box and Pin. :notme: I think the drawing is of the product thread, not the gages. I do not know if the drawing was produced by BECO or by some third party. As poor as the drawing is, the place where I got the drawing has asked that I not share the drawing, :( so do not ask.

What I can see on the drawing is that I am looking for the Design Pitch Diameters.

From the drawing I can tell that the Design Pitch Diameters are not identical for box and pin of same size thread.

So, continuing my search for data...Does anyone have Design Pitch Diameters for BECO threads that they would be willing to share? :agree1:

Have you seen this Google Books page?

S

smartkj

BECO = Bucyrus Erie Company. Thread form, pitch, height, and taper being within limits, pitch cone (pitch diameter) is generally verified by use of precision ground plug and ring gauges. Nominal standoff for plug gauge to box (female thread) seal face is flush (0.000 inch). Nominal standoff ring gauge to pin (male thread) seal face is (unlike API Spec 7 RSC connections) 0.665 inch. Gauges available from PMC Lonestar. I regularly send my BECO gauges to Lonestar for calibration and verification against their masters. I do not work for Lonestar.

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Thanks lots DrillMaster1!
Eleven years... but Elsmar came through. o_O

The drawing looks very official, yet it is still missing pitch diameters (the best way to control a screw thread), but if this is the root design, then that is what must be used. :agree:

Thank you. :thanx:

Top Bottom