What Does This Represent to You?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
What Does This Represent to You? Is this NEW to you? Where do you think this is from?

improvement_steps.gif

It's kind of a long story as to why I ask this. I've been doing some reading and came across this. The document it was in cited the diagram as copyrighted. It is so general, so 'standard' in my view that to represent it as a copyrighted diagram is silly.

Please - Tell me your thoughts.

D

Duke Okes

Marc said:
What Does This Represent to You? Is this NEW to you? Where do you think this is from?
It's kind of a long story as to why I ask this. I've been doing some reading and came across this. The document it was in cited the diagram as copyrighted. It is so general, so 'standard' in my view that to represent it as a copyrighted diagram is silly.
Please - Tell me your thoughts.

I'm pretty sure the 5 categories of the steps (Initial through Optimized) are from the SEI Software Capability Maturity Model.

Marc

Leader
Is this unique in some way? All I can see is a standard improvement methodology.

In steps 2 and 3 they say 'process characterized for...'. To me 'characterized' is the same as 'evaluated'.

What am I missing here? Maybe I'm just getting old and think I've seen a lot, but I keep coming back to 'same thing said differently'.

Wesley Richardson

Wes R
Trusted Information Resource
Duke Okes said:
I'm pretty sure the 5 categories of the steps (Initial through Optimized) are from the SEI Software Capability Maturity Model.
Hi Duke,

The CMMI CMU/SEI 2002-TR-001 had:
Capability Level 0: Incomplete
Capability Level 1: Performed
Capability Level 2: Managed
Capability Level 3: Defined
Capability Level 4: Quantitatively Managed
Capability Level 5: Optimizing

This was copyrighted by SEI.

Wes R.

Randy

Super Moderator
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Marc, shame! Publishing copyrited material:jawdrop:

You're going to the big H for sure now.

Marc

Leader
Everyone seems to be avoiding the question - Other than the words, how this different from a standard improvement method?

1. You have a process.
2. Evaluate the process its self for improvement opportunities.
3. Evaluate the process at interaction points of the organization for improvement opportunities outside the immediate process.
4. Improvement opportunities lead to process control in part through established measureables.
5. Continuous Improvement. (E.g. EVOP)

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Marc,

This must be the work of some consultants. Take your watch and rename it time piece. Trying to create a new way to look at an old subject and if it suceeds in becoming the flavor of the month, he's in for some big bucks.

Marc

Leader
Duke Okes said:

Yes - You're right.

Has anyone seen this used outside of software?

Does anyone else see 'Six Sigma' in this?

R

roland_lu

Marc said:
Yes - You're right.

Has anyone seen this used outside of software?

Does anyone else see 'Six Sigma' in this?

I do not have any knowledge/experience of the maturity model. When I read the O.P., I thought it was another way of presenting 6 sigma's DMAIC.

Does it mean since it is copyrighted, we could not use the approach without paying them?

Top Bottom