Rockwell, Brinell, Vickers Conversion - Evaluating Aluminum 6061-T6 and 6063-T6

P

Phil Fields

I am currently in the process of evalauting aluminum 6061-T6 and 6063-T6 extruded samples from a supplier in China. I am having a difficult time determining the hardness. Does anyone know of a good conversion chart for hardness. (rockwell B, vickers, brinell)?
The test reports I have received specifiy HV 70. When testing them I get a Rockwell B value of 24

Thanks,
Phil

K

Kevin H

Re: Rockwell, Brinell, Vickers Conversion - Evalauting aluminum 6061-T6 and 6063-T6

For the "official" information, get a copy of ASTM E140, Standard Hardness Conversion Table for Metals, Relationship Among Brinell Hardness, Vickers Hardness, Rockwell Hardness, Superficial Hardness, Knoop Hardness and Scleroscope Hardness. Available from www.ASTM.org - if you want it in a hurry and have a credit card, you can charge the card and get a pdf download.

Many manufactures of hardness testing equipment will also supply charts free of charge to existing customers - try Wilson Instruments, or whoever manufactured or calibrates your hardness testing equipment

M

micron master

Phil,

The closest E-140 has is a chart for "Wrought Aluminum Products".

In it, your HRB 24 is off the chart ( the lowest HRB value listed is HRB28 which converts to HV80 (15Kg).

If you can test on HRE scale (1/8" ball) HV70 is approx HRE71.

Brinell(500Kg, 10mm) looks to be about 61 or so.

If you'd like a wall conversion chart, get ahold of me at
[email protected] with a mailing address and
I'll have one sent. Unfortunately, it will be for non-austenitic steels, not aluminum. :(

tim

D

dbulak

I checked my conversion chart from Wison Instruments and it does not show any conversion from the B scale to HV. You might want to call them and find out what they would do with aluminum. It has been my understanding that with aluminum there is no real reliable B scale rockwelling that can be done. Might want to check with an aluminum producer to see what they do.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
There may be a chart that shows comparative values in ASTM E 18.....I won't swear to it, but check there. E 18 is the calibration/check standard for hardness.

Hershal

M

micron master

As mentioned above, conversion charts are in ASTM E-140.

There are several different charts for different materials.

K

Kevin H

Cordon - my experience in running a materials testing lab, and a short stint years ago as a field engineer for engineering studies of process equipment reinforced that you always want to be able to fall back to knowing where the numbers come from - ideally basing them on a primary reference such as ASTM standards, SAE specifications, etc. If you've followed the standard/specification the numbers you generate can be defended - if not, you're always open to someone who has followed them.

The ones posted online may be fine - but how do you know they are - someone could have made a mistake in developing the numbers posted. I would use them as a reference, but would go back to a primary source such as the standards to check them.

Regarding Hardness - based on notes above you may need to do some sort of double conversion - Rockwell B to Rockwell H, and then H to vickers, or vice versa. When you do a double conversion, the numbers get a lttle "fuzzier", because each conversion is only approximate.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I am currently in the process of evalauting aluminum 6061-T6 and 6063-T6 extruded samples from a supplier in China. I am having a difficult time determining the hardness. Does anyone know of a good conversion chart for hardness. (rockwell B, vickers, brinell)?
The test reports I have received specifiy HV 70. When testing them I get a Rockwell B value of 24

Thanks,
Phil

There's been some very good advice in this thread so far, but I thought I would add another alternative, which would be to have the samples tested by an independent source. I think this is especially important when qualifying a far-away supplier, and might not be all that expensive when compared to the potential for bad things to happen. If you're not sure about your results--and conversions between different scales is a slippery slope--you're going to need independent evaluation if a dispute arises. Independent testing will tell you two things--whether the samples meet the standards, and whether or not your supplier's report is accurate.

Top Bottom