Differences between CV (Curriculum Vitae), Resume and Biodata

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hi,

Can I know the difference between the Biodata, Resume and CV ? I see these terms are interchanged freely.

Do all terms mean the same ?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Diff between CV, Resume and Biodata

I found this information at the following Website: http://www.cvtips.com/

A CV or curriculum vitae is a marketing tool. With your CV you will be able to promote yourself. Imagine the CV as being a brochure that will list the benefits of a particular service. The service being your time and skills! When writing a CV look at it from your employers point of view. Would you stand out against the competition (the other candidates) and would the manager want to talk you for a possible job? You have to ask yourself these questions when writing your CV or curriculum vitae.

As I read this definition, the CV is the same as a Resume, other than look at it from the Employer's point of view.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

There is a difference. ***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

There is a difference ***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

The linked article is not altogether accurate. For all intents and purposes, the usage of "C.V." in Europe is synonymous with "résumé" in the U.S. The forms and conventions are different as well, but the purpose of the document is the same.

In the U.S., "C.V." is used almost exclusively within academia, and is a listing of degrees, research, publications, etc. used to establish one's credentials within an academic or scientific discipline.

M

mirrorcrax

CV is short for Curriculumme Vitae which is a french word which i think means fast curricullum or something, so i think it means more of a quick glimpse of your professional credentials, i'm not sure if there's a difference between resume'and CV but i recall hearing that CV is the short form, while resume is the detailed form, but i do know there are different types of CV's

Professional: Focuses on your education and job titles

Chronological: Arranged in dates highlighting your activities collectively (traininging, then work, then ecuation, then work again...according to what you did)

there are other types i can't recall them.... but you could google "cv writing" i'm sure you'll find plenty

Domoreto

Registered Visitor
CV is short for Curriculumme Vitae which is a french word which i think means fast curricullum or something, so i think it means more of a quick glimpse of your professional credentials, .....

It is not French :bonk: , it is developed from ancient Latin and means "running of life" or "course of life" ...
Acceptable in this meaning all over the world ... except North America where it is linked to the Academic Achievements

F

fireonce

If a hunter ask you to offer a resume,you can use CV.
Biodata is not used frequently

P

PrashantMasodkar

CV stands for Curriculum Vitae & your academic, technical & other education details are focused. You use this when applying for the first job

Your hight, body type, color & some other things are focused in biodata.... this is mostly used when getting married

Your job experience, skills are focused in Resume. Mostly used when applying for a new job.

This is what I understand by these three..... [:)]

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
CV stands for Curriculum Vitae & your academic, technical & other education details are focused. You use this when applying for the first job

Your hight, body type, color & some other things are focused in biodata.... this is mostly used when getting married

Your job experience, skills are focused in Resume. Mostly used when applying for a new job.

This is what I understand by these three..... [:)]
As Jim Wynne notes in his post above, the nuanced differences between CV and resume are primarily cultural. Certain industries, regardless of geography, tend to use one term to the exclusion of the other.

Almost all of the ones I am aware of seem to expect a much more detailed listing of achievements and experiences, going back to one's academic years when asking for a CV, while most asking for a resume would probably not want much more than highlights of any experience prior to the most recent ten years.

Quite frankly, the only times I'd expect anyone other than my own doctor or insurance company to ask for my bio data might be if I were trying to become an organ donor or a sperm donor;)

I understand, though, there may be cultures where knowing a person's height, weight, age, hair color, eye color, and general health might be important. In the USA, however, there are discrimination laws which prevent employers from gathering such data from prospective employees, BUT that's all fair game AFTER employment is offered, especially with conditions for continued employment that the employee must be physically capable of performing the functions of the position, although some employers have to make equipment accommodations for "special needs" employees.

Top Bottom