Employee Motivation - MEASURE only?

S

SteelWoman

Okay, I have been known to have momentary memory lapses, but am I just crazy or didn't the FIRST verison of TS require not only a MEASUREMENT of employee motivation but also a process for IMPROVING that motivation? I'm thinking the first version I read some time back had a whole improving the motivation thingee, but when I'm reading the newest version I can't seem to find that.

Am I crazy or was that removed? Or am I crazy AND that was removed? :bonk:

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
SteelWoman said:
Am I crazy or was that removed? Or am I crazy AND that was removed? :bonk:
While you may be crazy, I don't see that anything was removed...
TS 16949:1999 4.1.6
The supplier shall have a process for motivation of employees to achieve quality objectives and to make continuous improvements.
TS 16949:2000 6.2.2.4
The organization shall have a process to motivate employees to achieve quality objectives, to make continual improvements, and to create an environment to promote innovation.

S

SteelWoman

It might be that old "measurement of employee satisfaction" section, right below the old section you quoted from 4.1.6 - that wording didn't make it to the new version. In the back of my mind I was thinking there was a part of that requirement that "scared" me, but it didn't make it to the new version so I dismissed it. I think it was probably the satisfaction thing - only 'cause our industry's rather "volatile" right now and I had no idea how I was going to measure employee satisfaction without getting stoned in an MRT meeting and REALLY no idea how to improve it!

howste

Thaumaturge
SteelWoman said:
It might be that old "measurement of employee satisfaction" section...
Yep, there was a requirement to measure employee satisfaction - not too easy to measure. I did see one company recently that had an objective related to employee retention though. Triggered from measuring the cost of poor quality, they had calculated the cost of employee turnover and found that it was pretty high. :mg:

S

SteelWoman

On this same subject, I read the current requirement as requiring that I measure employee motivation and understanding of the importance of their work - but as QS was FAMOUS for, I don't see any requirement that I then DO anything with that information? We recently completed our measurement and it was really good - not much room for improvement, so I don't know there's a lot we can do with it. But TS doesn't have anything really REQUIRING me to do anything with that measurement, right?

Don't worry, I'm not asking in terms of "gee, how little can I do and get away with it," I'm asking as a philisophical point, as in gee, maybe this is something the TS standard folks need to think about when they revise this again. IMHO, QS was famous for having you gather and present information but not requiring that the people you presented it to DO anything with that info. TS plugged a lot of those holes, but apparently not ALL of them.

howste

Thaumaturge
SteelWoman said:
...I don't see any requirement that I then DO anything with that information? We recently completed our measurement and it was really good - not much room for improvement, so I don't know there's a lot we can do with it. But TS doesn't have anything really REQUIRING me to do anything with that measurement, right?
You may be right, unless you lump it under the umbrellas of 8.4 and 8.5.1 which require analysis of appropriate QMS data and improvement of the effectiveness of the QMS.

Now let's just hope they don't require us to measure our level of innovation :whip:

howste

Thaumaturge
You're right. If we came up with the top 10 "things we'd like to see measured but nobody knows how," they'd be sure to include them in TS 16949:2005. :mad:

:topic: I think I should mention that I really like the new smilies. They rock! :rar:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
"The organization shall have a process to motivate employees to achieve quality objectives, to make continual improvements, and to create an environment to promote innovation. "

Those TS guys must not be Demingites!

Top Bottom