House of Quality Functional Requirement question

P

Phloogy

I'm hoping to find someone here with experience with House of Quality.

I am going through the House of Quality exercise and am struggling with the definition of the secondary requirements, also known as the "hows". These go into the columns under the roof while the VOC requirements go into the rows. The "guidelines" states that the functional ("how") requirements should be measurable, however I have plenty of requirements that technically do not have a measurement.

For example, I have a user requirement (VOC) that states: The connection between A and B should be intuitive.

The associated functional requirement (how) is: The connection between A and B shall require no tools.

Is that an appropriate secondary requirement despite not having a measurement? What would be the target or limit value then? A simple yes/no?

Thanks in advance!

VOC = voice of customer

J0anne

Joanne
Ok, thanks Phloogy I'm very surprised as I have never seen this used in the medical devices industry.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I'm hoping to find someone here with experience with House of Quality.

I am going through the House of Quality exercise and am struggling with the definition of the secondary requirements, also known as the "hows". These go into the columns under the roof while the VOC requirements go into the rows. The "guidelines" states that the functional ("how") requirements should be measurable, however I have plenty of requirements that technically do not have a measurement.

For example, I have a user requirement (VOC) that states: The connection between A and B should be intuitive.

The associated functional requirement (how) is: The connection between A and B shall require no tools.

Is that an appropriate secondary requirement despite not having a measurement? What would be the target or limit value then? A simple yes/no?

Thanks in advance!

VOC = voice of customer

Phloogy,

What are the abilities of the users?

What seems intuitive to the designers may not be intuitive to all the users.

Often they are surprised! But the designers need to specify the competencies of the users (perhaps as a design input). In doing this you may limit the market for the product.

Services and products comprise attributes as well as measurable characteristics.

John

Top Bottom