Isn't a CBs performance a reflection of their customer?

AndyN

Moved On
We frequently read about how Certification Bodies are failing the market. Yet, it seems to me that their "failure" - if it is, indeed, to be considered such - a direct result of low expectations by their clients! In my experience, only very few organizations have the maturity to get the best from their suppliers.

Often, purchasing is treated no differently than shopping for the lowest priced loaf of bread at the local supermarkets. The organization simply "shops". Will, therefore, Certification of management systems, ever improve, until organizations understand their supplier relationship?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
We frequently read about how Certification Bodies are failing the market. Yet, it seems to me that their "failure" - if it is, indeed, to be considered such - a direct result of low expectations by their clients! In my experience, only very few organizations have the maturity to get the best from their suppliers.

Often, purchasing is treated no differently than shopping for the lowest priced loaf of bread at the local supermarkets. The organization simply "shops". Will, therefore, Certification of management systems, ever improve, until organizations understand their supplier relationship?

Andy,

Purchasing is easily duped especially when they are desperately seeking a strange supplier (accredited registrar) in a hurry. Even so, Purchasing may get the help it needs from the quality professional.

Then, top management, or dare I say, the QM may opt for a cozy relationship to get and keep a certificate as smoothly as possible.

Or they may choose to develop a truly independent professional relationship to hold top management to the standard to improve the business. This stance may determine additional requirements (such as we have in the automotive industry) to avoid all real and apparent conflicts of interest. These additional requirements may increase the price and reduce the opportunity for the registrar to sell non-certification services.

I suggest the former relationship is more common than the latter. Indeed, we can see how the customer ends up with the registrar it deserves.

John

Top Bottom