Nonconformances in the Construction Industry

N

nabildabash

hi

I need to know more about NCR in construction, specifically I'm asking about the notice period to rectify the defect before issuing any NCR, does the ISO 9001 say anything about that?? Regards

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Is this a situation where a nonconformance is identified and a request for corrective action request is issued?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
hi

I need to know more about NCR in construction, specifically I'm asking about the notice period to rectify the defect before issuing any NCR, does the ISO 9001 say anything about that?? Regards

Nabil,

Work in progress may not conform until it is ready for inspection. Then if the product does not conform the NCR is issued.

Key to this are the pre-approved hold and witness points in the inspection and test plan (aka quality plan).

And it is better for the contractor to issue itself the NCR with a copy to the Engineer than for the Engineer's Rep. to issue the NCR to the contractor. But that usually depends on:

• Criteria used to select the bidders (must work to a management system that conforms to ISO 9001)
  • Terms of the contract
  • Terms of the pre-approved method statement

Study clauses 7.1 and 8.2.4.

Good luck,

John

AndyN

Moved On
hi

The simple answer is that ISO 9001 says nothing about time periods to respond to an NCR, except to say that - if it's an internal audit - management will take timely action. If you are talking about other types of NCR, say from a foundation poured from concrete which failed a slump test, then again, ISO 9001 doesn't say how quickly, but it would be a timeframe appropriate to the risk encountered. Usually, there's no "notice period" before issuing an NCR. The NCR is issued when the situation is encountered because the defect must be recorded and reported. It's not good to allow someone to fix something BEFORE an NCR is issued...

N

nabildabash

Thank you all,

Actually Marc the corrective action request included in the same NCR, that's exactly what I'm asking about, is that the correct procedure?

In my opinion, there must be a notification period say for 48 hrs to rectify the defect before issuing the NCR, because once NCR issued the contractor rehabilitation is affected in front of the client

As John said the conformity must be for the product ready to inspection, the engineer here issuing the NCR even without request for checking

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Nabil,

Presenting work as complete and conforming when it is nonconforming or incomplete may be evidence of incompetence, poor communication of acceptance criteria or some other system nonconformity.

Beyond your proposed 48 hours for correction, this weakness in the project's QMS may be costly unless it is fixed for the benefit of both parties to the contract.

But an engineer flinging NCRs like confetti before work is presented for acceptance, I agree, serves no purpose except an ego.

John

S

Satybarole

You may probably find some very fancy definitions on the internet, but because we are talking about Construction Industry it?s always better to simplify things and be practical.
We can simply describe it as a Report which outlines:

• What went wrong (this is the ?nonconformity?),
  • Why it went wrong (Root Cause) and
  • What can we do in order to avoid that from happening again (corrective action).

IHI-E&C

Top Bottom