Product resourcing or transfer Checklist (APQP) to satellite metal stamping facility

M

Matt Swartwood

Good morning all. I am the Quality Manager in one of five metal stamping facilities within a corporation. We have worked very hard to beef up our APQP process and have incorporated checklists for new product, processes, tooling, suppliers, customers, expansion, facility needs, etc.

Due to transportation costs and logistics issues with JIT, we have begun a corporate-wide effort to strategically place satellite facilities near our customers. One satellite is in place and we are in the process of reviewing associated risks with product transfers from one facility to another. The planning checklist that we currently have in place is very cumbersome, labor intensive, and is not user friendly.

My purpose for this post is to see if there might be someone I could benchmark who has a proven process for product transfers. I will be communicating with several of my customers who might be able to provide a format to use, since they continuously resource one product from one supplier to the next.

Topics to be included might be: Supplier change requests to customer, buffer/safety stock required, APQP action items, previous PPAP approvals, Prints, FMEA's, Control Plans, hardware and material plans, tooling, fixtures and gages, Quality alerts and associated CAPA, safe launch plans, transfer PPAP approval, etc. Ultimately, I understand that questions to ask, but am looking for an easier flow/format example.

Thank you in advance for any input you could offer.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Product resourcing or transfer Checklist (APQP) to satellite metal stamping facil

My purpose for this post is to see if there might be someone I could benchmark...
I don't know about benchmarking per se, but I, and I'm sure others here, have some experience in die transfers to other locations, and to/from various customers / suppliers if you have specific questions.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Product resourcing or transfer Checklist (APQP) to satellite metal stamping facil

Good morning all. I am the Quality Manager in one of five metal stamping facilities within a corporation. We have worked very hard to beef up our APQP process and have incorporated checklists for new product, processes, tooling, suppliers, customers, expansion, facility needs, etc.

Due to transportation costs and logistics issues with JIT, we have begun a corporate-wide effort to strategically place satellite facilities near our customers. One satellite is in place and we are in the process of reviewing associated risks with product transfers from one facility to another. The planning checklist that we currently have in place is very cumbersome, labor intensive, and is not user friendly.

My purpose for this post is to see if there might be someone I could benchmark who has a proven process for product transfers. I will be communicating with several of my customers who might be able to provide a format to use, since they continuously resource one product from one supplier to the next.

Topics to be included might be: Supplier change requests to customer, buffer/safety stock required, APQP action items, previous PPAP approvals, Prints, FMEA's, Control Plans, hardware and material plans, tooling, fixtures and gages, Quality alerts and associated CAPA, safe launch plans, transfer PPAP approval, etc. Ultimately, I understand that questions to ask, but am looking for an easier flow/format example.

Thank you in advance for any input you could offer.

Some ideas:
  1. Develop a flow chart of the "product transferring" process
  2. Perform a (process) FMEA for the "transferring product" process.
  3. Develop a detailed task/activity checklist.
When performed and recorded in sufficient depth/detail, it will provide you with adequate controls to perform this process safely, effectively and efficiently. Try it, it works. :yes:

Stijloor.

M

Matt Swartwood

Thank you for the quick replies. I believe that we have adequate controls in place to ensure that we are delivering the documents, the tools, resources, and knowledge required to ensure a successful transfer that is seamless from a customer standpoint; however, the process that we use could definitely use a little 5-s.

I would hate to see a value stream map on the process we use. :nope: Basically, the way it works right now is a form floats from one step to the next (which could be up to 15 stops) until each respective area has found the time to provide all required items and the form is complete. When the form is completed, Quality and Engineering verify that everything is complete and the transfer commences.

I am interested in knowing if this is common practice, or if there might be some folks around that might be able to give some insight on a better way.

Top Bottom