AS9102 FAI - Detail vs Assembly FAI (Form 1, Box 13)

D

demir-ahmet

Can anyone explain what is the difference between "DETAILED FAI" and "ASSEMBLY FAI" which is required to selecet on Form 1, Box 13?

We make wire harnesses, we use standard catalog parts like contacts, connectors, backshells.

We assemble these parts and make wire harness.

So, when we perform an FAI on wire harness is it detailed or assembly FAI?

A

andygr

"We assemble these parts and make wire harness"
If all you are doing is putting the component parts together and are not modifying them from their published catalog data you are dealing with an assembly FAI.
Now say you are modifying a purchased component (catalog item) you are going to perform a FAI on the modification you performed you are now dealing with a detail FAI.

For the wire harnes example say you purchase wire and conectors and such. Now from the spool of wire you cut off a 1 ft length +/- .35 inch - per print- and strip the insulation off of the ends .25 inchs +/- .010 and then crimp the pin on and ensure that it has the required pull of strength.
This prepared section of wire that will go into your harness is a detailed part since there is variable data to check for compliamnce to design.

When you put 5 of these into the conector you now have an assembly since there is no variable data to check other than you have the correct componets.
Yes this is a bit simplified since there may be specific requirements for the fabrication of the conector such as typicaly a color code or wire size in a specific conector location but you get the idea I hope.
:2cents:

D

demir-ahmet

Thanks. Your commnet gives me a direction.
Just one thing, although we crimp the contacts, shrink the components we can verify all of them on assembled wire harness, including pull tests etc.

So, I think we can perform an assembly FAI and cover everything?

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Can anyone explain what is the difference between "DETAILED FAI" and "ASSEMBLY FAI" which is required to selecet on Form 1, Box 13?

We make wire harnesses, we use standard catalog parts like contacts, connectors, backshells.

We assemble these parts and make wire harness.

So, when we perform an FAI on wire harness is it detailed or assembly FAI?

DETAILED FAI = 1 product
ASSEMBLY FAI = Many product

If you do not manufacture any single product and all you do is purchase many products to make an assembly then check - ASSEMBLY FAI.

K

Kalvelis

I have a granite block that I am adding inserts to, am I correct that I would be doing a detail FAI since I am modifying my produced block with the addition of inserts (FAI to cover size, flatness, and parallelism of block; as well the placement pattern and location of inserts).

dsanabria

I have a granite block that I am adding inserts to, am I correct that I would be doing a detail FAI since I am modifying my produced block with the addition of inserts (FAI to cover size, flatness, and parallelism of block; as well the placement pattern and location of inserts).

Yes!:applause:

L

Leanmeister

Re: AS9102 FAI - Detail vs Assembly FAI (Form 1, Blocks 15 thru 18)

I have been in this business for 30+ years and since the introduction of AS9102 have for the most part seen pretty consistent FAIRs.
Sometimes there are differences in opinion as to interpretation of the standard. mad:

Questions are are as follows:

Form 1 Blocks 15-18.
Although conditionally required and optional, they way I've always understood, part numbers are listed here if subassy and detail parts are referenced on the face of the drawing only. Customers sometimes insist that you include the parts list. Anybody agree with this?

Form 2 Block 8.
Although conditionally required, this block is reserved for special processes and materials called out on the drawing or in the drawing notes only. Customers sometimes insist that you include supplier name and code despite referencing the Cert Number and attaching a copy. Any thoughts on this?

Form 3 Block 10.
Although conditionally required, specially design tooling is required only when designed specifically for verifying featuire or dimension. Customers often insist that you list ALL the tooling whether inspectioon or not. Thoughts?
:deadhorse:

bguarino

Starting to get Involved
What about if you are taking a bare PCB, applying a label and conformal coat. Would that be considered a detail or assembly FAI?

dsanabria

What have you assembled?. You just prepared a detailed part to be used or assembled with another product.

bguarino

Starting to get Involved
Well a PCB + label + coat material. In MRP or ERP terms it's an assembly since it has a bill of materials in our system. We outsource that process and provide the board and label to the company coating for us. Just want to know if we should expect a detail or assembly FAI.

And more generally, my company commonly will purchase assemblies turnkey from suppliers, like cables with button systems installed. Our drawing lists a bill of materials with internal parts and each has a drawing of it's own. Should we expect an assembly or detail FAI from them? If we perform the FAI because a supplier will not, do we treat it as detail?

Top Bottom