Tolerances For Angles - General tolerance for a bent metal bracket

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Can anyone tell me a general tolerance for a bent metal bracket? We want a 11* bend and would like to put an acceptable +/- general tolerance on it. ANy thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The tolerance should be decided by what's actually needed in end use and what the manufacturing process can reasonably achieve. In most instances it's not too difficult to sustain a +/- 1 degree spread, but if the product can stand a 10-degree spread there's no sense in making the tolerance any tighter.

Jim Wynne said:
In most instances it's not too difficult to sustain a +/- 1 degree spread, but if the product can stand a 10-degree spread there's no sense in making the tolerance any tighter.
Agreed. What it the bracket supposed to hold or fit with?

/Claes

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
gpainter said:
Can anyone tell me a general tolerance for a bent metal bracket? We want a 11* bend and would like to put an acceptable +/- general tolerance on it. ANy thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Most Customer's drawing I have seen gives a +/- 2 Deg

Coury Ferguson

S

streider

All depends on the material used and the application. I think " Machinery's Handbook" will give you bending allowances etc. Similar info is supplied in what we call a "Zeus book" but I'm not certain that it is available in the USA.

Most inspectors in the UK use the latter for many applications as it is pocket size. I've had one for many years. If you get the chance get one!

Good luck.

Top Bottom