AMS Specification QQ-N-290 - What does the class 1, Type IV (QS) mean?

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm wokring with a AMS QQ-N-290 specification and I was wondering what does the class 1, Type IV (QS) mean?

Thanks,

al40

B

BadgerMan

Re: Need information on a specification QQ-N-290

Class I is corrosion protection

Type IV is for "parts containing large amounts of sulfer or selenium"

al40

Class I is corrosion protection

Type IV is for "parts containing large amounts of sulfer or selenium"

Badgerman Thanks,

My next question is why would anyone call out this type of requirement "QQ-N-290 class 1, Type IV (QS)"?

We're working with 1070 steel not sure of the call out and why.

Also if you could point me to the document you pulled this info from it would help too.

Thanks,

al40

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Badgerman Thanks,

My next question is why would anyone call out this type of requirement "QQ-N-290 class 1, Type IV (QS)"?

We're working with 1070 steel not sure of the call out and why.

Also if you could point me to the document you pulled this info from it would help too.

Thanks,

al40

It can be had from here; note the cancellation information under "Title."

B

BadgerMan

I could not help you with the "why" question. That's a good question for your customer.

I just did a Google search for Class/Type information. ;)

al40

Well this leads me to a new question what is the difference between the AMS2423 : Plating, Nickel Hard Deposit and AMS2403 : Plating, Nickel, General Purpose ? We're using the nickel plating as a corrosion prevention on 1070 steel that will see some stressing. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on SAE specs that I may not need. Can anyone provide insight?

Thanks,

Al40

Last edited:

al40

Well this leads me to a new question what is the difference between the AMS2423 : Plating, Nickel Hard Deposit and AMS2403 : Plating, Nickel, General Purpose ? We're using the nickel plating as a corrosion prevention on 1070 steel that will see some stressing. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on SAE specs that I may not need. Can anyone provide insight?

Thanks,

Al40

Update, Found everything I needed in AMS2404 which leads to a quagmire of other specifications.

:bonk:
al40

Top Bottom