The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Information Resources - Papers - Articles - Etc. > The Reading Room > Registered Visitor Articles Archive
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13th June 2005, 09:57 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,982
Thanked 5,841 Times in 3,731 Posts
Karma Power: 1509
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Wes Bucey

Think of a Design of Experiments situation. We ask the designer to come up with a list of experiments. We don't know the correct experiment (the one resulting in the most favorable outcome) until we actually run it.
The purpose of any scientifically designed experiment should be to attempt to disprove a hypothesis. I've never seen a situation where anyone was asked to "come up with a list of experiments." I think you're confusing "test" with "experiment." A single experiment may include more than one test. Whether more than one experiment is necessary is wholly dependent upon the design and outcome of the initial experiment. An experiment is incorrect only if it's poorly designed, and an unbiased experimenter isn't looking for a "favorable" outcome. The outcome is what it is, and it either serves to support the hypothesis (by not disproving it) or it doesn't.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair

Last edited by Jim Wynne; 13th June 2005 at 09:59 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 13th June 2005, 10:03 AM
Deming Disciple

Registration Date: Feb 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 188
Thanked 1,290 Times in 705 Posts
Karma Power: 293
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
A few things to realize on this paper - 1st we are dealing with students working on an MBA, not experienced practitioners of the Deming methodology. Yes, there is some "soft" recommendations in there. 2nd - one of the students is an employee of the company in question. They were considerably concerned that we manage to protect his/her anonymity and the anonymity of the employer.

Steve Prevette
"A Passionate Statistician", ASQ CQE, ASQ Fellow
Sponsored Links

Old 14th June 2005, 09:10 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Mar 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 37
Spence B has less than 100 Karma points so far.
With all respect to the students and professor, the paper, which I have now read 3 times, seems OK to me for MBA level students. The Holy Grail for many Quality practitioners is culture change, and training, benchmarking, incentives, etc., are all accepted approaches. It is self-evident that performance and culture are "sub-optimum" when compartmentalized upper management indulges in the "turf disputes" the students describe, as I read it. So far so good for analysis. My own experience is that a culture of effective problem solving gets us away from sub-optimalization. Some managers (like almost everybody) snipe a bit, but after forming-storming-norming-...you know. Whether we call it PDCA, PDSA, 5-P, 8-D, K-T, or whatever, objective evidence will show whether we have done the right thing. Are we gathering and understanding that evidence? Have we sought to implement good solutions wherever they might apply? Is the customer demanding to do repeat business? Honestly focusing on these questions reduces sniping, and then we may subjectively notice a culture change.
Old 14th June 2005, 09:19 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,982
Thanked 5,841 Times in 3,731 Posts
Karma Power: 1509
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Spence B

With all respect to the students and professor, the paper, which I have now read 3 times, seems OK to me for MBA level students. The Holy Grail for many Quality practitioners is culture change, and training, benchmarking, incentives, etc., are all accepted approaches. It is self-evident that performance and culture are "sub-optimum" when compartmentalized upper management indulges in the "turf disputes" the students describe, as I read it. So far so good for analysis. My own experience is that a culture of effective problem solving gets us away from sub-optimalization. Some managers (like almost everybody) snipe a bit, but after forming-storming-norming-...you know. Whether we call it PDCA, PDSA, 5-P, 8-D, K-T, or whatever, objective evidence will show whether we have done the right thing. Are we gathering and understanding that evidence? Have we sought to implement good solutions wherever they might apply? Is the customer demanding to do repeat business? Honestly focusing on these questions reduces sniping, and then we may subjectively notice a culture change.
I don't know whether we're straying off topic here or not, but I've seen far too many people at all levels of corporate hierarchies who tenaciously hold on to closely-held beliefs in spite of undeniable objective evidence that the beliefs are full of poop. What's missing in nearly all CI plans is plans for dealing with people (again, at all levels) whose personalities become significant obstacles to improvement.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 14th June 2005, 12:18 PM
Deming Disciple

Registration Date: Feb 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 188
Thanked 1,290 Times in 705 Posts
Karma Power: 293
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
I do not know if anything has or is becoming of the paper at the company in question. We may not know until they (if they are able to) go to press with the "story of their success".

The paper I think could serve to open some eyes, and then I suspect the company would need to look more into the details of how to pull off improvements, and how to measure them, and how to determind success.

I will say this was the most interesting paper of those that came to me. One paper was simply a case study from past literature at a company no one in the group worked for. This was a nice paper in that it was "near and dear" to at least one of the students in the group.

By the way, I will be running the MC550 course next winter with another batch of students. I hope at least one of the papers will be as interesting as this one was.

Steve Prevette
"A Passionate Statistician", ASQ CQE, ASQ Fellow

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Information Resources - Papers - Articles - Etc. > The Reading Room > Registered Visitor Articles Archive

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?