The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20th April 2005, 11:16 AM
Involved - Posts

Please Help! List of NCR (NonConformance Report) Defect Cause & Corrective Action Codes

We are developing an on-line non-conformance reporting (NCR) system to capture all defects found, their root cause and corrective action. We need to assign and insert codes for defects, causes and corrective actions to make the data usable to spot trends and systemic problems.

Our industry is automotive.

Our company does CNC machining, injection molding, blow molding, painting and some low volume assembly.

REQUEST
The first NCR system implementation is in the machining area. Does anybody have a reasonably sized list of defect, cause & corrective action codes they could post here? I need to populate the database / library of each section of the NCR system.

Last edited by wslabey; 20th April 2005 at 11:20 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 20th April 2005, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your thread to the this board where you may get a better response.

CarolX

Theater is life, film is art, and television is furniture.
Sponsored Links

Old 20th April 2005, 01:46 PM
Involved - Posts

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by CarolX

I moved your thread to the this board where you may get a better response.
I did think I might have posted in the wrong place. I was trying to avoid all the NCR threads on audit NC's. This system is for part defects from making widgets.
Old 25th April 2005, 07:53 PM
An Early Cover

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by wslabey

Does anybody have a reasonably sized list of defect, cause & corrective action codes they could post here? I need to populate the database / library of each section of the NCR system.
Wslabey

Here is all I could quickly find ( about 15 slides in)

***DEAD LINK REMOVED*** Quest Design Structure

This is bugging me - somewhere I recall seeing a massive list...but I can't think where..perhaps Jurans Handbook?

At my last job (fiber optics) they had build a huge NCR system in Lotus Notes. There were hundreds of defect codes, and hundreds of root causes.

The defect codes were useful for Pareto analyis, but the root cause codes were useless, there were too many, most of them were symptoms.

One idea would be to set up your system to allow new codes to be defined on the fly. This would let you start with a very few codes and let users define/propose new ones on the fly.

Then every so often, you could look at the data and either accept the code or change it to an existing code.

We are presently working on corrective actions and they are hardest of all, a subject matter expert is needed. Most of ours tend to be so vague as to be useless e.g. "adjust and recheck".

Good luck with this, if I find anything else I'll post it.
Old 26th April 2005, 02:22 PM
Appreciated Information Resource

I have also operated a system with fault codes and cause codes, and also found the cause codes to be wooly and of little use for analysis.

I would suggest brainstorming a cause and effect diagram, and that should give you all your potential failure modes.
Old 28th November 2005, 06:27 PM
Involved in Discussions

NCR data bank

Iīve been trying to resume all the NCR of 2005 in my job in an Excel file. The root causes and the NC have already codes, but unfortunately all of these information, added to some other that we need to registar in this file are increasing so much that Iīm afraid that Excel wonīt be enough for what I wanted...
Maybe only in Access or in an spencial software...
Old 28th November 2005, 08:29 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Beware of too many defect codes. You may end up with people having problems classifying many defects.

I can't remember off hand whether there is an Access nonconformance database posted here in the forums or not.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Old 28th November 2005, 08:50 PM
Involved in Discussions

The Access File

Iīve saved the access files that Iīve seen once in the cove, but I couldnīt attached them (maybe they are too big). One is for customer complaint and the other for internal audit. My question is: what would be the ideal way to see the whole NCRs without encoding them? I use an Excel file, and I use codes because each description of cause or NC is different. So, if we want to use Excel filter or dinamic functions, the fewer words is the easier way, isnīt it?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Nonconformance and Corrective Action

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?