Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Nonconformance Report example template or form - Page 2

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 18th May 2005, 02:05 PM
RCBeyette

Total Posts: 2,834
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by forestfan 1000

HI Again,
so what do i think should be on a form, well i always work on a basis of : what, why, how,when, who,
so on that theory i suppose we have to determine a fault has been found,
why the fault has arisen , how is it to be corrected, when is is to be completed by, and by whom. that is my interpretation of it, so if you think im way of the line im going throw it all in the bin,
thanks for your help
Just me playing devil's advocate here (because I love that job...I really should have that title on my business card! ) what constitutes a "fault"? Is it possible to varying degrees of "faultness"?

Not knowing about your organization or products/services, let me just that at my company we can make bad product...but the level of bad product resolution is determined on (a) amount of bad product made and (b) characteristics of the bad product.

If only x amount of product had a characterisitic y, then we might simply disposition the product accordingly and get on with our lives.

If, however, x amount of product had a charasteristic z or X amount of product (where X > x) had characterisitic y, then we might require root cause analysis, and so on.

To help us out, we have a guidelines matrix that tells us the possible bad things that could happen and to what level it must happen in order for us to take the appropriate action. Afterall, no point in killing a mosquito with a flame-thrower, right? Just as you wouldn't go after an alligator with only a toothpick.

Keep in mind, as well, that when you do the root cause section, people know to look for the true reason behind the abnormality...not just the symptoms. The old adage of "ask 'why' five times" is a good rule of thumb. Why? "Operator unaware of new process." Why? "Operator not trained." Why? ... well, you get the idea.

Qualitygoddess is absolutely correct in ensuring user-friendliness of the process, too! Prior to my starting, the form used here was 3 pages in length! No one wanted to report bad product. The form was then modified to 1 page to keep the users happy while ensuring the tools were there to adequately address the abnormality. It is now 2 pages in length and electronic. It suits the needs of Business Management System, allowing for abnormalities in the Environmental or Safety side of things, has a fishbone diagram (in case the 5 'why' approach doesn't work), and has drop-down menus that change depending on the selections checked-off at the beginning of the form.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 3rd June 2005, 12:34 PM
wslabey

Total Posts: 119
Generic NCR form

Here is an Excel based template you can start with for your company. It still relies up codes to define standard defect, cause and corrective action codes. You'll need to develop those for your business and product your produce. I know of no generic list.

Worksheet one is DEFECT. It is written to identify defects. A part can have multiple defects.

Worskeet two is Cause and Corrective Action

Workhsheet three is Disposition which can be completed prior to defining root cause and corrective action.

We just moved the system on-line so everything can be completed on line and routed to the affected parties. On-line system is undergoing beta-test.

Typically, a defect is found on the floor or in the inspection room. The person finding it enters the information and it is submitted to the QA manager for review and approval. (Incomplete info is the most like reason for it not being accepted.) Once accepted it get routed to the MRB for disposition and person responsible for identifying the root cause and corrective action. QA approves and accepts the root cause and corrective action
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls Generic NCR form.xls (32.0 KB, 1717 views)

Last edited by wslabey; 3rd June 2005 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 6th March 2007, 01:24 AM
Marc

Total Posts: 24,565
Re: Nonconformance Report - Seeking an example template or form

Also see AUDIT NONCONFORMANCE REPORT FORM.doc, Corrective Action Form-qs-141A .doc and NonConformanceRecord.doc in the Elsmar Cove Free Files directory.

Also browse the Elsmar Cove Forums Post Attachments Listing
  Post Number #12  
Old 19th March 2007, 10:41 PM
MARTIND

Total Posts: 1
Re: Nonconformance Report - Seeking an example template or form

Hi ForestFan

I can add that managing each non-conformity (taking the immediate actions) is quite different from regular reviews of all of your non-conformities to correct systematic problems.

I was analyzing over 500 per year, and found that the problem with identification of the root cause of each NC was our weakness. (it was not done).

So my recommendation would be to take immediate corrective/preventive actions, but keep in mind that documenting the root cause or causes would be essential to be able to make systematic improvements.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?