The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
six sigma (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24th May 2005, 01:40 PM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Aug 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 44
jackylpt has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Spin! What is really six sigma? Is a culture? A way to solve problems?

Hi there,

I knew six sigma is hot in the world, especially in american company.

But I have a question is what is really six sigma? Is a culture? a way that solve problem , just some change of quality control or something? Because I have discussed with some black blets about it? But nobody can get a clear answer.

Does anybody can help me? thanks

Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 24th May 2005, 01:56 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Feb 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 80
Karma Power: 222
D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.D.Scott is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to D.Scott
Six sigma itself refers to the capability of your process. It is a measurement of variation in your process calculated from the process average to the closer of the upper or lower engineering specification. A six sigma process would have a Cpk of 2.0 which indicates a low number of parts outside the specifications (bad parts).

Six Sigma (note the capital letters) has also become a quality "culture". It incorporates many of the old or standard quality tools but in such a way as to work within a disciplined system. It is certainly a tool in problem solving but it isn't a magical system that works without any help.

Dave

"Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time"
Sponsored Links

Old 24th May 2005, 02:01 PM
Statistician

Registration Date: May 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 240
Karma Power: 143
Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to Statistical Steven
Six sigma is TQM repackaged and sold to top management. Since there are projects to acheive different levels of belts...and since it does not require alot of top management attention, it sold itself.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by jackylpt

Hi there,

I knew six sigma is hot in the world, especially in american company.

But I have a question is what is really six sigma? Is a culture? a way that solve problem , just some change of quality control or something? Because I have discussed with some black blets about it? But nobody can get a clear answer.

Does anybody can help me? thanks

Michael

Steven Walfish
When in doubt, ask your company statistician!
Old 25th May 2005, 11:51 AM
Email Address Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Jul 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 19
Karma Power: 0
qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Statistical Steven

Six sigma is TQM repackaged and sold to top management. Since there are projects to acheive different levels of belts...and since it does not require alot of top management attention, it sold itself.
AH, another SS cynic. Wonderful!

Six Sigma has certainly become the next "fad" of the quality world. Because the focus is on saving $$, management likes it, and it may stick around longer than anticipated. For a fun read on this topic, and more, try James Lamprecht's book, Quality and Power in the Supply Chain (what industry does for the sake of quality).

For those interested in a simple, yet effective intro book, try Six Sigma for Managers by Greg Brue.

If you just want to look over a simple powerpoint on six sigma, try this one. I use this as an introduction to it in a college class.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: ppt Six Sigma lecture.ppt (214.5 KB, 1656 views)
Old 25th May 2005, 12:14 PM
Statistician

Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Statistical Steven is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Not trying to be a cynic, but when a statistician with 20 yrs experience and a CQE cannot get a job as a six sigma black belt you know that it is no longer about quality improvement, but rather about creating hype.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by qualitygoddess

AH, another SS cynic. Wonderful!

Six Sigma has certainly become the next "fad" of the quality world. Because the focus is on saving $$, management likes it, and it may stick around longer than anticipated. For a fun read on this topic, and more, try James Lamprecht's book, Quality and Power in the Supply Chain (what industry does for the sake of quality).

For those interested in a simple, yet effective intro book, try Six Sigma for Managers by Greg Brue.

If you just want to look over a simple powerpoint on six sigma, try this one. I use this as an introduction to it in a college class.

Steven Walfish
Old 25th May 2005, 12:21 PM
Statistician

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by qualitygoddess

As I reviewed your slides had I not seen SS, I would have assumed you were discussing the philosophy of Deming and Crosby. DMAIC is just PDCA cycle of Deming, and of course the cost of quality is a Crosby"ism". Maybe I am bitter, but my belief is that SS is nothing new.

Steven Walfish
Old 25th May 2005, 12:24 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,051
Thanked 5,993 Times in 3,820 Posts
Karma Power: 1531
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:

As I reviewed your slides had I not seen SS, I would have assumed you were discussing the philosophy of Deming and Crosby. DMAIC is just PDCA cycle of Deming, and of course the cost of quality is a Crosby"ism". Maybe I am bitter, but my belief is that SS is nothing new.
I agree wholeheartedly, except that the slide has it right--it's the cost of poor quality, not "cost of quality." There's a significant difference, especially with regard to Crosby, who famously said, "Quality is Free."

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 25th May 2005, 02:51 PM
Email Address Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Jul 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 19
Karma Power: 0
qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.qualitygoddess - 2010 is appreciated, and has over 500 Karma points.
Quote:

Stat Steve (an SS himself!):

Absolutely, I'm in agreement with all that you say. You would have to see the lecture 1 and 2 to see the overview of Deming, Crosby, Juran, Feigenbaum, Box, and others. I even tell my students that SS uses most (perhaps 99.999973%) of stuff we quality types already know.

Interestingly, a pal who has had his CQE for 10 years just studied a bit and took the SSBB cert exam and passed. His reasoning -- it opens a few more doors in the job search arena. He has had more "hits" on his resume since that time. Sad, but true.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?