The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 19011 - Auditing Quality and Environmental Management Systems > Internal Auditing
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
auditor qualification requirements and certifications, employee training and qualifications, internal auditor training, internal audits, qualification (personnel), training requirements

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 29th June 2005, 10:11 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: May 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 39
sweetmeg has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Question Internal Auditor Qualifications - What qualifications should I include?

Hi guys,

My boss wants me to include auditors qualification (for internal auditors in our organization) in the Internal Quality Audit Procedure (IQA).Can you give me an idea what parameters can I include? I consider the education, work experience(should I include this?), Audit experience….auditors training qualification criteria(what does this comprise?)
How will I include this in the procedure?? I am planning to make it as an attachment in the procedure and generate a simple matrix (any example from you guys??)

Lastly, I am planning also to include auditor’s effectiveness(part of evaluating auditor’s) here, I needed to generate an evaluation form, again asking for your help what will be the content of this form.

Thanks in advance..

All advises you’ve shared to me really helps me lot.

Thank you guys..
meg
Thanks to sweetmeg for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
Old 29th June 2005, 11:45 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,306
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,770 Posts
Karma Power: 645
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Parameters range from on-the-job experience to an internal trainig course, to a contracted training course and also to certification such as with ASQ. There might also be some shadowing to ensure the interpersonal methods are appropriate and the planning/execution phases are followed through as the organization has planned out.

So there you have it: training and performance evaluation by a superior.

I like matrices because they give a lot of information, including what is missing as well as what is accomplished. A quaity manual can point to a training document that lists such matrices or they can perhaps simply be used to show training has been accomplished and not called out specifically. Wherever possible, I would avoid making anything that has to be kept updated and formally revised.

As well as the other questions--does anyone here have an auditor's evaluation form?

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Sponsored Links

Old 30th June 2005, 01:43 AM

Hi Jennifer

Thanks for the inputs..

A follow up regarding auditor’s qualification...(reference to section 8.2.2.2 of ISO/TS manual)

I considered drafting a flow for auditor’s qualification and effectiveness.

Start of Flow is the selection of Propose auditor’s which is appointed by department managers of each section here.
Some of the proposed auditors have no auditing experience yet… Is that okay? What qualification criteria can I add in?
Some auditors have auditing experience of QS 9000 and ISO 14001.(I think there will be no problem with that).

One of the reasons why I planned to include internal auditors qualification on the procedure because during our internal quality audit this is one of the observation of the auditor.
First, the auditor asked “who are the qualified internal auditors?” we gave her the list of auditors who attended the ISO/TS awareness and Internal audit course. But she made a comment that was not enough to claim that list of auditors were qualified.
Then she’s looking for an auditors qualification and effectiveness process which in our part cannot show her.

Going back to draft flow..after selection of propose auditor what will be the next flow?? Is it training??
How can I ensure that all internal auditors are competent to audit ISO/TS requirements?

Hoping for your advise…

thanks
Old 1st July 2005, 04:15 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Feb 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 299
Karma Power: 106
antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to antoine.dias
Auditor qualifications

FYI, attached please find the qualification we are using.
It is based on ISO 19011 with use of some automotive influence.

Best regards,

Antoine
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: doc Internal auditor qualification - example.doc (25.0 KB, 1858 views)
Thank You to antoine.dias for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 1st July 2005, 05:35 AM

Hi antoine,

Thanks a lot!
This will be useful as my baseline...

regards,
sweetmeg
Old 28th December 2007, 09:00 PM

Registration Date: Dec 2007

Karma Power: 27
Jipsy has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Internal auditor qualifications - What qualifications should I include?

Hi to all!

I would like to ask your help regarding the qualifications of Internal Auditors. Currently, I am now revising our Internal Audit procedure to include the Auditors Qualification. What i did was, i made a draft of the Internal Auditors Qualification /Evaluation Guidelines. To test the competentcy of our Internal Auditors I would like to make an examination for them like a case study where in they will do the analysis based on the requirements of TS 16949...Does anyone of you have a sample of a case study which I can be used as reference?

Tnx
Jipsy
Old 29th December 2007, 04:21 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,184
Thanked 4,509 Times in 3,194 Posts
Karma Power: 1543
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Internal auditor qualifications - What qualifications should I include?

Hello Jipsy,

Welcome to The Cove Forums!

The best way to determine competency (which is defined as "the ability to apply knowledge and skills") is to have your Internal Auditors perform an actual (mini) audit that you observe. Folks that look good on paper (paper and pencil tests), do not always perform well in real action.

I use the following example during my internal audit training courses: "I can explain to you how to swim, and I can have you do a test on how to swim, but unless I throw you in a pool, you and I will never know."

By the way, you've mentioned ISO/TS 16949:2002. Yes that's OK, but you know what? It's more important that your Internal Auditors understand the internal process requirements.

Happy New Year!

Stijloor.
Thank You to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 29th December 2007, 12:00 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Feb 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 4,404
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,248 Posts
Karma Power: 853
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.AndyN is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyN
Thumbs up Re: Internal auditor qualifications - What qualifications should I include?

Since the issue of competency has correctly been identified, we must not only focus on the technical qualifications of auditor candidates, but some of the other characteristics which will help them be effective:-
Interpersonal skills, credibility, management 'potential', reading, writing, comprehension skills etc......

'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.....

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 19011 - Auditing Quality and Environmental Management Systems > Internal Auditing

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?