The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Information Resources - Papers - Articles - Etc. > Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
rework, rework and repair procedures

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 7th July 2005, 10:52 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 8,811
Thanked 5,007 Times in 3,178 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
I Say... Rework - Definition

Rework: Defined as action that returns the object back to drawing specifications. Does not require customer approval.

Elsmar Cove Rework discussion threads.

Elsmar Cove Wiki: Rework.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown

Sponsored Links
Old 8th July 2005, 09:55 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Oct 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 35
Karma Power: 80
Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Ron Rompen is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.
I would question the 'Does not require customer approval' statement. Although this may (generally) be true, there may be exceptions to that.

Eg. Parts are electroplated and are stored in WIP for a period of 45 days. Prior to shipment, dock audit detects that the surface roughness of the parts is unacceptable.

In consultation with the coating supplier, it is determined that parts need to be stripped and replated.

Strip method is to acid wash, followed by 'burn', followed by wash, followed by re-plate and reinspect.

Parts are SAE4130, hardened to HRc 38-44. There is a potential risk for the following failures:
i) Hydrogen embrittlement (yeah, I know, but they raised that one one me)
ii) Tempering of hardness to below the lower limit (hardness is an SC)
iii) Pitting of part surface, leading to stress risers (this one is a REAL stretch on the part of the design engineer, but I don't have the knowledge to refute it).

The reasons above (if nothing else) are sufficient cause to notify the customer of your 'rework' process, and obtain acquiesence, if not outright approval.

JMO

Ron S Rompen
Goju Ryu
Kitchener, Ontario

Do other dogs think that poodles are members of some strange religious cult?
Sponsored Links

Old 9th July 2005, 11:06 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,982
Thanked 5,832 Times in 3,728 Posts
Karma Power: 1509
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ron Rompen

I would question the 'Does not require customer approval' statement. Although this may (generally) be true, there may be exceptions to that.

Eg. Parts are electroplated and are stored in WIP for a period of 45 days. Prior to shipment, dock audit detects that the surface roughness of the parts is unacceptable.

In consultation with the coating supplier, it is determined that parts need to be stripped and replated.

Strip method is to acid wash, followed by 'burn', followed by wash, followed by re-plate and reinspect.

Parts are SAE4130, hardened to HRc 38-44. There is a potential risk for the following failures:
iii) Pitting of part surface, leading to stress risers (this one is a REAL stretch on the part of the design engineer, but I don't have the knowledge to refute it).

The reasons above (if nothing else) are sufficient cause to notify the customer of your 'rework' process, and obtain acquiesence, if not outright approval.

JMO
Ron,
You raise an excellent point. I have been in situations where bad things happened because of exactly the sort of metallurgical phenomena you describe. Speaking from a customer standpoint, I want to know when rework is going on for this type of reason, but also because if it gets to be a habit, sooner or later I'm going to pay for it. Realistically, suppliers aren't going to notify customers when they've screwed up, especially if they think that they can rework material without causing any problems for the customer. But as this case shows, there are times when the supplier may lack the expertise or general knowledge to know when what seems to be inocuous rework can cause problems. The solution? A contractual obligation for the supplier to divulge. That won't cause the supplier to divulge in every instance, but it does provide a measure of liability protection if something goes wrong.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 11th July 2005, 04:35 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 8,811
Thanked 5,007 Times in 3,178 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Also see this thread: Definition of Repair

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Old 12th July 2005, 01:07 PM
E-Mails Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Jun 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 0
Jim Howe is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Jim Howe is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.Jim Howe is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.
rework vs. repair

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Ron Rompen

JMO
Ron,
Your example is exactly why the rework/repair and/or MRB authority is negotiated upfront with the customer. I doubt that the original specification for the plate called for an acid wash to strip. This very act would classify this as a repair not a rework (imo) and so would require customer approval.

Again, imo, (from many years on MRB) these kind of situations were exactly why MRB was composed of a cross section of talent including design engineering, quality engineering and yes in many cases the customer. It helped prevent the declaration of rework in the face of a repair.

I might add that some WS (weapon specifications) for soldering considered the act of reflowing a solder joint on a PCB a repair where MIL-S solder specs considered this to be rework. The WS's position was that the very act of putting heat to the solder joint could very well degrade the fiberglass board material. Under the WS a simple solder touch up was often referred to MRB. In another version of WS when solder joint touch ups surpassed three the PCB was then sent to MRB for disposition. Again all pre-negotiated with the Customer.
Old 19th July 2005, 09:06 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 13
Karma Power: 53
wslabey is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.wslabey is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
All are excellent points. We also do aviation work governed by the FAA here at our facility. Rework / repair all have to be approved according to the original design (which always includes the blueprint dimensions and how the part or component is made). A non-conforming part (at any stage of manufacture) is dispositioned in the MRB and any rework or repair must follow a specific, pre-approved procedure (if allowed at all). If rework is done without approval the part or parts are quarantined until the customer (FAA or other) approves the rework or repair procedure.

Why so stringent? The answer is simple. No one wants to be asked to explain a smoking hole in the ground when a airplane crashes due to your rework or repair procedure.

Last edited by wslabey; 19th July 2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 19th July 2005, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Jun 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 471
Karma Power: 284
CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.CarolX is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Howe

This very act would classify this as a repair not a rework (imo) and so would require customer approval.
Agree, this is a repair, not a rework.

CarolX

Theater is life, film is art, and television is furniture.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Information Resources - Papers - Articles - Etc. > Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?