The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Career and Occupation Discussions
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 15th February 2006, 08:25 PM
Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Dec 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 15
Karma Power: 42
Cognizant has disabled his/her Karma.
Question Job Decision Making - Post Interview Followup

I had a Job interview (with 5 big people)on Jan 23rd at plant location which was paid by the campany itself..I gave a follow up call on Jan 27 and came to Know that they r interviewing couple more people following week. After couple weeks on 02/10 I called them again and found out that decision was not made yet. I left a msg on phone , emailed the VP (key person in hiring) showing my strengths and Interest towards the Job on 02/10. In the mean time I had another Job which has to be postponed to feb 27th because of this Job's decison which I like the most. I dunno wat else to do.

I emailed VP to let me know the status of the Job at his earliest convenience...Still I have'nt heard from him....

As u guys suggested I dont want to use other job as the leverage on this Job decison making.
I called VP couple times today which went straight to msg but i dint leave any msg.

Wat s the good way / approach to know the decison.

I am planning to Call HR as well as VP tomorrow..what do u suggest???Please advice......

Cognizant
"Impossible itself says I 'm Possible"

Sponsored Links
Old 15th February 2006, 08:44 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,049
Thanked 5,975 Times in 3,810 Posts
Karma Power: 1529
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Cognizant

I had a Job interview (with 5 big people)on Jan 23rd at plant location which was paid by the campany itself..I gave a follow up call on Jan 27 and came to Know that they r interviewing couple more people following week. After couple weeks on 02/10 I called them again and found out that decision was not made yet. I left a msg on phone , emailed the VP (key person in hiring) showing my strengths and Interest towards the Job on 02/10. In the mean time I had another Job which has to be postponed to feb 27th because of this Job's decison which I like the most. I dunno wat else to do.

I emailed VP to let me know the status of the Job at his earliest convenience...Still I have'nt heard from him....

As u guys suggested I dont want to use other job as the leverage on this Job decison making.
I called VP couple times today which went straight to msg but i dint leave any msg.

Wat s the good way / approach to know the decison.

I am planning to Call HR as well as VP tomorrow..what do u suggest???Please advice......
OK, for those of you scoring at home, here are the totals thus far:

1-27: Followup call
2-10: Followup call
2-10: E-mail to VP
Date uncertain: E-mail to VP
2-15: Two unanswered followup calls
2-16 (Tentative): Phone call to HR
Phone call to VP

This is all in addition to a thank-you letter immediately after the interview. Cognizant, do you think it might be time to back off a little? If you call these people tomorrrow, what could you possibly tell them that they don't already know? I think that at one time or another most of us have had to sit on the edge of our chairs waiting for a phone call from a prospective employer, and I know it's not easy, but you really need to back off at this point.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Sponsored Links

Old 15th February 2006, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Jun 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 48
Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,651 Posts
Karma Power: 923
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Randy is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Randy
Look for another job.....

We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. Joe Galloway
Old 15th February 2006, 11:06 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 509
Thanked 2,990 Times in 1,931 Posts
Karma Power: 1175
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
OK! We've all been positive up to this point, but I see Jim and Randy are starting to lose patience and they aren't even in the direct line of fire.

Here's some pointers from the hiring side of the desk:
  1. No matter what YOU (the candidate) think, I (the employer) am in charge. Any candidate that tries to "manage" me by keeping up a constant barrage of hounding me (my interpretation of more than 2 follow-up communications in less than three weeks) is proving to be the kind of pesky employee I don't want.
  2. If you are not using impeccable English spelling and grammar in your communications to me (versus typical email shorthand of "u" for "you"), you are giving me second thoughts about your ability to write documents and correspondence relating to my business.
  3. If you refuse to accept an answer that I have other things to do before I make a decision, that tells me you may not be very good at understanding instructions on the job.
Frankly, if the communications you have posted here are similar to your communications with this employer, each new communication reduces your probability of being hired.

The problem for us here in the Cove is that we haven't experienced you in person. You may have put on a brilliant show in front of these folks in person. The other side of that coin is that you may be completely deluding yourself about the impact you made in the interviews with these folks. We simply don't have enough data to form a worthwhile opinion about your interview skills, but I've seen enough to tell me your written communication needs refining if the posts you have written are typical of how you write and make your case.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Old 16th February 2006, 06:43 AM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Jan 2000

Thanks Given to Others: 5
Karma Power: 150
Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Aaron Lupo is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Not to be mean but it sounds like they are not going to hire you. On the other hand if they were considering it they may not now as you appear to have made a nuisance of yourself. I have to agree with everything that Wes said.

It may be the job you really want but not the job you are going to get. Heck if we all got the jobs we wanted and applied for it would be a much happier work force.

My advice let it go.
Old 16th February 2006, 06:57 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Sep 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 8
Karma Power: 40
ezorangee is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.ezorangee is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Time to move on

If I deal in the area of Quality, proper communication is required. I agree...first is being patient. When you are anxious to receive a telephone call, minutes seem like days, days like weeks, etc.

If I am getting no feedback and communication.....I am gone.
Old 16th February 2006, 07:31 AM
Cunning Planner

Registration Date: Jun 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 49
Baldrick is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.Baldrick is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.Baldrick is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.Baldrick is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.Baldrick is appreciated, and has over 400 Karma points.
I agree with the points made above. It can be frustrating - if they're not going to hire me, why can't they tell me?

In my experience, these delays often indicate that they have offered the job to someone else and are waiting for him/her to accept or decline the offer. It is quite embarrassing to go back and offer the job to the second choice candidate after you've told him/her they weren't successful.

Sweden has a 100 percent literacy rate, Leo, 100 percent! How do they do that?
Well, maybe they don't and they also can't count....
Old 16th February 2006, 07:43 AM
Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Dec 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 15
Karma Power: 42
Cognizant has disabled his/her Karma.
Noo....No I never do those spelling mistakes in any formal letter I check atleast 4-5 times before sending the letters to the employers ..I had this problem in earlier stages and I rectified it .......

Cognizant
"Impossible itself says I 'm Possible"

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Career and Occupation Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?