The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 10013 - Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
7.5.2 - validation of processes, audit nonconformances and findings, special processes, quality manuals - structure contents and examples

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 5th January 2011, 12:49 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 18
Karma Power: 30
masimr has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! List of Special Processes in Quality Manual

In recent audit we got an NC for not identifyin 'special processes' (caluse 7.5.2) in our quality manual. We operate & maintain a power station and many of our processes could fall in special process category e.g. de-salinating and purifying water, fuel atomization etc. All processes are automatic with different checks & controls, warnings, alarms, trip settings etc. backed by well documented inspection, calibration and maintenance regimes and are managed through operating manuals and operating instructions by well trained staff with traceable competency records. This is what we have elaborated in the manual. CB however dictates that we list all such processes and identify relevant procedures within the manual. If we go with CB finding we'd end up with a page long list of such processes and listing of more than 400 instructions in addtion to the list of technical and operating manuals. Expert advice requested.

Sponsored Links
Old 5th January 2011, 01:08 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Mar 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 1,413
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,598 Posts
Karma Power: 490
somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.somashekar is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to somashekar
Re: List of special processes in quality manual

Hello Sir.

You may be having a list of processes requiring validation, or perhaps a validation plan. This can be an objective evidence but certainly need not be in the quality manual. Perhaps the auditor must have meant quality management system. If you have a documented procedure for addressing your clause 7.5 requirements then this can be mentioned within the quality manual, and the validation plan can be a part within this procedure. Perhaps he is coming strongly on the 4.2.2 b) requirement of iso 9001, within the manual.

Best Regards...
Somashekar BV, INDIA
Sponsored Links

Old 5th January 2011, 01:21 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 8,817
Thanked 5,012 Times in 3,181 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: List of Special Processes in Quality Manual

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by masimr View Post

<snip> CB however dictates that we list all such processes and identify relevant procedures within the manual. If we go with CB finding we'd end up with a page long list of such processes and listing of more than 400 instructions in addtion to the list of technical and operating manuals. <snip>
I would ask the CB to show me the requirement. If they told me it was in their (the CB's) requirements I'd boot them out the door and find a new registrar.

There is no standard that I am aware of which requires such a list to be in the company quality manual.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Thank You to Marc for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 5th January 2011, 03:41 AM
Appreciated Information Resource

Registration Date: Oct 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 376
Karma Power: 181
Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

In recent audit we got an NC for not identifying 'special processes' (clause 7.5.2) in our quality manual. We operate & maintain a power station and many of our processes could fall in special process category e.g. de-salinating and purifying water, fuel atomization etc. All processes are automatic with different checks & controls, warnings, alarms, trip settings etc. backed by well documented inspection, calibration and maintenance regimes and are managed through operating manuals and operating instructions by well trained staff with traceable competency records. This is what we have elaborated in the manual. CB however dictates that we list all such processes and identify relevant procedures within the manual. If we go with CB finding we'd end up with a page long list of such processes and listing of more than 400 instructions in addition to the list of technical and operating manuals. Expert advice requested.
Just for clarification - when you say you got an NC for 'not identifying the special processes in the manual' - are they actually asking for a list or are they asking you to explain/describe the fact that you have some processes which fall into this category?

Certainly, I agree with Marc that there is no requirement to have a list of them all in the manual - or anywhere else for that matter - but if you have a traditional manual in which you explain how each of the clauses will be met, you should probably explain the fact there are some of these processes and I personally would give 1 or 2 examples. Plus I would mention some of the methods of controlling them.

If you think training is expensive, try ignorance
Old 5th January 2011, 04:10 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Jul 1997

Thanks Given to Others: 146
Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Howard Atkins

masimr
As I said in your previous question
Management review input and output the requirements for a QM are very limited.

As others have said what clause is stated in the NC

Lean starts with your documentation
Save trees
Old 5th January 2011, 07:06 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 18
Karma Power: 30
masimr has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Thanks guys. Marc, CB auditor actually asked me to list/identify the special processes and linked procedures, saying that this is what he would look for during the next audit. I most certainly agree with the booting idea but my manger, who has no clue of any standards i.e. ISO 9001, 14001 or any other, thinks that CB is doing a great job.
Old 5th January 2011, 10:00 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Jul 1997

Thanks Given to Others: 146
Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Howard Atkins is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to Howard Atkins

Quote:

Thanks guys. Marc, CB auditor actually asked me to list/identify the special processes and linked procedures, saying that this is what he would look for during the next audit. I most certainly agree with the booting idea but my manger, who has no clue of any standards i.e. ISO 9001, 14001 or any other, thinks that CB is doing a great job.
This is an example of "do as I say" not what the standard requires.

Lean starts with your documentation
Save trees
Thanks to Howard Atkins for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 5th January 2011, 10:16 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 8,817
Thanked 5,012 Times in 3,181 Posts
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

Thanks guys. Marc, CB auditor actually asked me to list/identify the special processes and linked procedures, saying that this is what he would look for during the next audit. <snip>
Like I say, I would ask the auditor to cite the requirement for there to be a list as you describe in the quality manual. If that doesn't work I don't know what to tell you other than that I have seen companies that followed the 'requests' of auditors for them to do things that were not required by a standard and the next thing you know it's all about what the auditor wants to see rather than the requirements. Things can get ugly fast.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Thanks to Marc for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 10013 - Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?