The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 1st May 2006, 03:22 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,305
Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,770 Posts
Karma Power: 645
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Please Help! Formatting an Excel .xls spreadsheet to alarm out-of-calibration status

Suppose a program has spreadsheet worksheets with their lists of gages, their cal due dates and other calibration-relevant data and the supervisors are responsible to know when their worksheet's gages are coming due. The practice of browsing a list of gages to find an out-of-calibration date could be improved upon, I think.

For example, I have seen cells that turn red under certain parameters (some kind of logic function) and I think it's cool but I haven't figured out how to do that. Can anyone tell me how it's done?

I have had trouble with logic functions using dates. Other than Julian date (which would work) can a cell be so formatted to show a message "Danger Will Robinson!" (okay, I'm kidding about the message) based on a past-due date?

Thanks in advance!

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow

Sponsored Links
Old 1st May 2006, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Jun 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 71
Karma Power: 418
Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Al Rosen is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via AIM to Al Rosen
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jennifer Kirley

Suppose a program has spreadsheet worksheets with their lists of gages, their cal due dates and other calibration-relevant data and the supervisors are responsible to know when their worksheet's gages are coming due. The practice of browsing a list of gages to find an out-of-calibration date could be improved upon, I think.

For example, I have seen cells that turn red under certain parameters (some kind of logic function) and I think it's cool but I haven't figured out how to do that. Can anyone tell me how it's done?

I have had trouble with logic functions using dates. Other than Julian date (which would work) can a cell be so formatted to show a message "Danger Will Robinson!" (okay, I'm kidding about the message) based on a past-due date?

Thanks in advance!
Look up "conditional formatting" in Excel Help. It will explain it

Al
Sponsored Links

Old 1st May 2006, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 29
Karma Power: 153
Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Tim Folkerts is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer,

Use the "Conditional Formatting" option on the "Format" Menu.

The simplest method is to compare the cell value to a specific number. For instance, you could apply a format when ever a number is less than zero, or when it is between -3 and +3.

The next option is to campare to another cell. For example, you could calculate the upper control limit and then compare a series of cells to that cell.

The final option (I I just recently discovered) is to create a formula as a condition. When the conditional formatting box is open, look at the left most drop-down menu and choose "Formula Is". For example, if you select a range (starting at cell B4) and type the formula

=B4<TODAY()-30

it will test if something is 30 days past due. If you add a second condition like

=B4<TODAY()+7

it can test if it is coming due in the next week.

After you set the condition, you can have the cell color change by selecting "Format", the "Borders". Perhaps a month over due is red, slightly overdue is orange, and due in the next week is yellow.

I could attach a simple example if it would help...

Tim F

To wonder is to begin to understand.
Old 1st May 2006, 04:00 PM
Forum Moderator

Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Tim Folkerts

I could attach a simple example if it would help...Tim F
Let me fool with it a bit and see what I come up with.

Thanks guys!

Always learning...

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Old 1st May 2006, 04:28 PM
Forum Moderator

The color formatting (I used red for 1st formatting: past due, and gold for 2nd formatting: dates within a week of due date) didn't work when the referenced date was more than a month away from any of the listed due dates.

Old 1st May 2006, 04:38 PM
Courtesy Access

Registration Date: May 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 155
tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.tomvehoski is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Try this:

Condition 1:

Cell Value Is Less Than =TODAY() Format is Red

Condition 2:

Cell Value Is Less Than =TODAY()+7 Format Gold

Once a condition is met, Excel stops evaluating further conditions. So even though a past due gage is also less than today + 7, Excel never checks since condition 1 was met. Make sure you enter the = sign.
Old 1st May 2006, 04:59 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks Tom! I will try that this evening I think.

Old 2nd May 2006, 12:10 PM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Jul 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 59
Dave Dunn is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Dave Dunn is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Dave Dunn is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Dave Dunn is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Dave Dunn is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Dave Dunn is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Dave Dunn is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
If the gages are listed in a long worksheet and have the calibration due date listed, you could sort the worksheet using the due date. That way you not only could find the ones that are overdue, but you could keep track of the ones that are coming due.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?