Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)
Forum Username

Wooden Line

How to determine the values of k1, k2, k3 in Gage R&R - Page 2

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
gage r&r (repeatability and reproducibility), msa (measurement system analysis)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 12th December 2007, 08:22 PM
Alex.G

Re: How to determine the values of k1, k2, k3 in Gage R&R

I still don't clearly see where the problem is from, PV or TV?
I review my spreadsheet and I tried to insert the values from the MSA reference manual 3rd edition p 113, with my spreadsheet I get exactly the same value as p114, my excel is wrong or not? did they made a mistake in the book?

My excel used the old constant values before and I only change it with the new value in 3rd edition, so i didn't change the way to calculate.

below is my excel :
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls General MSA Report.xls (73.5 KB, 761 views)
Thanks to Alex.G for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
Old 12th December 2007, 09:37 PM
Yew Jin

Let Me Help You Re: How to determine the values of k1, k2, k3 in Gage R&R

I came to this question few years ago and had done some further study on them.......We need to use the Appendix C - d2 table for K constants calculation.

K1 - Used for Repeatability, Equipment Variation (EV) calculation
Find the d2 from Appendix C - d2 table,
focus on the subgroup size(m) for number of trials we used in GR&R study, number of subgroups (g) for parts x number of operators we used in GR&R study. If the parts x number of operator greater then 20, find the d2 at the bottom of the table.
K1 = 1/d2

K2 - Used for Reproducibility, Appraiser Variation (AV) calculation
focus on the subgroup size(m) for number of operators we used in GR&R study, number of subgroups (g) is set as 1 as there is only one range calculation in this study.
K2 = 1/d2

K3 - Used for Part Variation (PV) calculation
focus on the subgroup size(m) for number of samples we used in GR&R study, number of subgroups (g) is set as 1 as there is only one range calculation in this study.
K3 = 1/d2

AIAG MSA guideline used formula K = 1/d2, all the sigma (EV, AV and PV) calculated used the original formula with K value replaced and %PT Ratio = (100x 5.15 x sigma R&R)/product specification.

Larry B. Barrentine used formula K = 5.15/d2, all the sigma (EV, AV and PV) calculated used the original formula with K value replaced BUT divided by 5.15 backand %PT Ratio = (100 x 5.15 x sigma R&R)/product specification.

Noted: We do not use the factor 5.15 or 6 in GR&R% calculation (compare to process variation), it is only apply in PT Ratio calculation (compare to product specification)
Thank You to Yew Jin for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 12th December 2007, 10:05 PM
Miner

Yew Jin is exactly correct. MSA 2nd ed used 5.15 in the formula, and 3rd ed simplified the formula by removing it and using the new constants.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:04 AM
Alex.G

So if I understand, my excel sheet was wrong before because we used the constant K without dividing by 5.15, now it should be ok.
I tried with the value from MSA reference manual 3rd edition example p113 and I get the same result.
So means my excel is good, right?
Someone can fastly review it for me to confirm ?

thanks a lot
Old 13th December 2007, 08:49 AM
antoine.dias

The problem is not in your Excel.

If you compare the 2nd version results with the 3rd version there is no significant difference when calculating in relation to the total variation TV.

The problem starts when you calculate in relation to the tolerance.
In version 2 you can (have to) use the tolerance width, in version 3 you have to divide the tolerance by 6 ( See page 116 in the MSA manual )

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Antoine
Thanks to antoine.dias for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 13th December 2007, 08:09 PM
Alex.G

ok i found it :

TV = 5.15 (process variation/6) in 2nd edition

and TV =process variation/6 in 3rd edition,

So that mean I have to divide TV = sqrt(GRR^2+PV^2) by 5.15, right?

thanks everybody I think I will have a perfect excelsheet soon,
Old 13th December 2007, 09:19 PM
Alex.G

I read again the book and if I understand, it is only in the case, my analysis is based on the tolerance I have to divided by 6. In my case it is on Total variation, There is something I can't understand, if the form in the 2nd edition is based on total variation and 3rd edition too, i don't have to change the excel sheet except for the constant. but change the constant change considerably the result.
That drive me crazy
Some one can please review fastly my excel.

--> I noticed if I replace in my excel the value from 3rd edition p113, I obtain the result from p114 of 3rd edition, so my excel is good?

Thanks for your help
Old 14th December 2007, 12:42 AM
Atul Khandekar

Alex, I quickly scanned your Excel sheet, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this.

As regards %Tol, IMO, there should not be a very BIG difference between 2nd and 3rd editions.

The 2nd edition directly calculated the value of the "Full spread" of GRR error, which was 5.15* GRR_Standard_Deviation. %Tolerance = Tolerance / (Full GRR) = (Tol)/(5.15*GRR_Stdev) = (Tol/5.15) / (GRR_Stdev)

In the third edition we calculate Standard_deviation of GRR (and also EV,AV, TV,PV etc). % Tol = Tolerance / (Full GRR), where full GRR spread is 6*GRR_StDev. This is the same as (Tol)/(6*GRR_Stdev) = (Tol/6) / (GRR_Stdev)

The difference in %Tol will only be to the extent of using 6 in place of 5.15.
Thanks to Atul Khandekar for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?