Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Career and Occupation Discussions
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Quality Assurance Manager - Tasks and Responsibilities...?

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 18th May 2006, 10:33 AM
MonikaG

Total Posts: 13
Question Quality Assurance Manager - Tasks and Responsibilities...?

Hi,
I have recently been appointed to the QAM role for my company. That's nice but at the same time very challenging. I have been with the company for 5 years now. I have worked as an IT manager for 4 years (with previous experience from IT ) and as a project leader/quality developer for 1 year. I have no formal education in quality, I have only made Internal Revisions education and learned little about ISO. We are ISO 9001 certified company.
My company has 80 employees. We develop and sell advanced systems within telematics. Our business is to develop and sell solutions of quite complicated character. Very often we sell as much knowledge as physicall things (project management, development, installation). We don't have any production in house. We cooperate with many subsuppliers. We buy mostly production of our products but even some part of development.
Allthough we are quite small now, we used to be a part of a large and well known company and our quality system has a good base from this time.

For a few yeras we've had a consultatnt as a QAM and now I'll get this job.

My company is quality minded. We have inherited our quality level from our previous organisation. But I see that we don't focus on quality any more. Quality has become something uncomfortable to talk about - to work with. We are good and so it is. But I think that if we will not develop and go further in our quality thinking than we will not be good in future.

Anyway, I've got a new position but my boss (GM) don't tell me what I am expected to do. Yes I know I must manage our re-certification which we'll have later this year. But what more? How would you act if you were in my shoes? What should a QAM do in this type of company? I am going to write down an action plan for the coming year but I don't know really how ambitious I should be. I must learn more and get some experience to begin with.... As you se I am quite confused (but not scared:-)Any advice will be apreciatted.

Monika G

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 18th May 2006, 11:11 AM
morgand - 2006

Total Posts: 133
Monika,

I wear multiple hats and was "asked" to fill this role for about 80 persons as well, but that was a few years ago (I survied and still have a job with the same firm).

Since you had consultants in the past, you might want to review the following:
Contract with the consultant
any notes, etc left by said consultant,
all of the current documentation.

You should look for defined duties and responsibilities assigned to your new role. Many of them should be in the consultant contract if it is detailed. Make a list and go over it with the GM. The GM will likely have an opinion then.

If your company is still interested in making your customer's happy and having little waste due to rework, then you are still "Quality Minded." If the quality words are uncomfortible, change them. You have a lot of company experience and should have access to a lot of management material. You might want to consider elimiating the word "quality" from the quality managment system and making it just an overall "management system" and addresses quality as well as everything else. If things are working well, you should already be running a management system verses a quality management system and a management/business system or plan anyway. We have become against separating quality out as its own thing as the years have gone on. Everything we do is quality. Why run, maintain and manage more plans than you need to?
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 18th May 2006, 11:26 AM
ScottK

Total Posts: 2,529
Similar to what morgand said - document. Write yourself a job decription based on the former consultant's contract. Then go over it with the GM and and get him to sign off on it.
From there you can make goals for the next year.
  Post Number #4  
Old 18th May 2006, 11:36 AM
MonikaG

No contract exists

Hi,
thanx for very quick responses. The idea about the contract is very good, but I know there was no contract with this consultant. He is a QM in the company that used to be our sister company - he was well known to the people in our organisation so I think they just decided to hire him on half time basis to run the quality management. I have asked him this question but he couldn´t give me the ansver I am supposed to get from GM.
/Monika
  Post Number #5  
Old 18th May 2006, 11:44 AM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,855
Lightbulb

Hej Monika, och välkommen hit till the Cove
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by MonikaG

I have recently been appointed to the QAM role for my company.
Congratulations are in order then

Quote:

I have no formal education in quality, I have only made Internal Revisions education and learned little about ISO. We are ISO 9001 certified company.
Internal audit training is not half bad as a way to learn about quality and quality systems, but there is a bit more to the QA mgr position, and I think you should get more training.
Quote:

Allthough we are quite small now, we used to be a part of a large and well known company and our quality system has a good base from this time.
That sounds good. Just one thing: When a small company uses a system left by a biggie, it may not be all that well adapted to the needs of the smaller one. Something to have a look at.
Quote:

For a few yeras we've had a consultatnt as a QAM and now I'll get this job.
Interesting. I do hope he is still around, so you can make a smooth transition?
Quote:

We have inherited our quality level from our previous organisation. But I see that we don't focus on quality any more. Quality has become something uncomfortable to talk about - to work with.
Also interesting. Can you put your finger on why?
Quote:

I think that if we will not develop and go further in our quality thinking than we will not be good in future.
That would be the probable result, yes.
Quote:

Anyway, I've got a new position but my boss (GM) don't tell me what I am expected to do.
That is really bad form. Of course you are entitled to know what you are expected to achieve.
Quote:

Yes I know I must manage our re-certification which we'll have later this year. But what more?
It the sole objective is to acieve re-cerification, I would say that the aim is set pretty low. That, after all, is nothing but a piece of wall decoration.

Above all the system should be useful. Is it?

/Claes
  Post Number #6  
Old 18th May 2006, 11:50 AM
morgand - 2006

Total Posts: 133
No contract? Yikes.

There went the easy answer. Here is a list of the non-contract specific things I normally handle.

Ensures documentation of quality procedures and work instructions
Develop and maintain a quality system in accordance with ANSI/ISO/ASQC Q 9001:2000 Quality Management Systems-Requirements (2000-12-15: Third Edition) and ANSI/ISO/ASQC Q 9001:2000.
Enforces adherence to the Quality Manual, procedures, work instructions, and ANSI/ISO/ASQC Q 9001:2000 Quality Management Systems-Requirements (2000-12-15: Third Edition).
Train auditors
Schedules and communicates information on external audits
Prepare and implement the audit schedule
Interface with project managers and site manager
Interface with team leads
Interface with purchasing, system engineer, and quality control
Retain or monitor the retaining of quality records and their anaylsis
Participates Monthly Management Reviews and Corprorate Program Reviews
Chair any ISO 9000-based/Process meetings
May attend department product quality meetings
Take notes at the Management Review meetings with the site manager
Perform, schedule, create process awareness training for staff
Acts as mediator or impartial chair in meetings as ask by management
Interfaces directly with management on process manament resourse needs
Informs management of any negitive trends
Manage and validate the corrective and preventive action system
Manage on the job training database
Cordinate process activities between teams
Process Cheerleader- rewards for good process and quality related activities & tours to the customer
  Post Number #7  
Old 18th May 2006, 11:50 AM
Groo3

Total Posts: 175
With regards to the role of a QAM, that is dependent on the nature of the company and the size of your facility and whether or not you are wearing multiple hats or just one...

Our facility has approximately 250 employees and some of the roles of our Quality System Manager (comparable to a QAM I believe) are as follows:
* Management Representative for our ISO Audits
* Manage and oversee our Internal Audit Process, including the responsibility for overseeing the training and development of our Internal Auditors
* Manage and oversee our Corrective Action Process
* Assist in the effective resolution of our Customer Complaints
* Manage and oversee our Quality System Documentation
* Organize and schedule our Management Reviews
* Help support our Supplier Management Program (in conjunction with our Purchasing and Maintenance functions)
* Assist in the Quality Planning portion of Product Realization
* etc.

PS: Our Quality System Manager currently wears one hat.

Just our slant on things...
  Post Number #8  
Old 18th May 2006, 01:46 PM
MonikaG

My own thoughts are verified by you

Thanks to everyone!
I see that my expectations and thougths about my coming tasks are verified by your answers.
I think I can start to write my own job description to discuss with the GM ...and then I'll write down my goals for the rest of this year.
As a beginner in the area I must have some way to measure my own progress to know that I am moving forward.
I'll ask for more training of course, but I want to deliver some results also...to do this I will try to write down some measurable objectives and review the results by the end of the year ...

I am very greatfull for all help I've got.

Regards,
Monika

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Career and Occupation Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?