The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Essentials > Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 21st May 2006, 11:03 AM
Registered Visitor

Question Raw Material - AS9100 Definition Of A Raw Material

AS9100 requires periodic validation of raw material test reports (7.4.3). Is there an official AS9100 definition of what a raw material is?

DAHSR

Sponsored Links
Old 21st May 2006, 11:23 AM
Post Responsibly

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by DAHSR

Is there an official AS9100 definition of what a raw material is?
No, there is not.

Sustainable conformity assessment must add value to all stakeholders
Sponsored Links

Old 21st May 2006, 06:04 PM
Appreciated Information Resource

AS9100 Raw Material

This requirement usually involves metals but I have seen several companies test their resin, paint and chemicals.

Danny
Old 31st May 2006, 04:55 AM
Registered Visitor

Re: Raw Material - AS9100 Definition Of A Raw Material

There was a thread here a few weeks ago where I asked the forum for examples of how this is being interpreted and audited. I have seen a few different views of how the periodic validation of test reports for raw material is undertaken. I had heard a trainer from an international CRB indicate that a narrow interpretation of raw material makes this clause less onerous than would otherwise be the case. Can't say I agreed with him and encourage you to take a practical approach to the definition of raw material depending on the aerospace component you manufacture. Each company will have different raw materials but the clause (7.4.3) is quite clear:

"Where the organisation utilises test reports to verify purchased products, the data in those reports shall be acceptable per applicable specifications. The organisation shall periodically validate test reports for raw material."

Both sentences in the requirement are related, where test reports are used they need to be periodically validated. By limiting the interpretation of raw material you may escape some of the periodic validation requirement but I do not believe this meets the intent of this clause.

One of the company's I audit select their top suppliers of raw material (mostly metals) and periodically validate a sample of material certificates at a training laboratory thereby minimising the costs, as the tests are done by students in an accredited laboratiory. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Old 11th September 2006, 03:47 PM
Appreciated Information Resource

The auditor at one of my AS9100 certified clients indicated that based on the requirement in 7.4.3, the company has to list all their raw materials and indicate the frequency of validation.

Is this correct? If it is, why didn't the standard say "all raw materials".

Thanks,

Danny
Old 12th September 2006, 01:43 AM
Registered Visitor

Hi Dany
The clause is quite clear:

"Where the organisation utilises test reports to verify purchased products, the data in those reports shall be acceptable per applicable specifications. The organisation shall periodically validate test reports for raw material."

So I guess the auditor is right but as I indicated in this thread, there are some interpretations of "raw material" and "periodically" does not specify a minimum period. My advice is to discuss it with your client's major aerospace customers and agree what their definition of raw material and periodic is. Evidence of this should be shown to the auditor as your consideration of the customer related processes under clause 7.2.

I see my role as an auditor matching the requirements of AS9100 with those specified by the customers. In some cases, I have found myself being far stricter than than the customer's auditor and at other times too lenient. It is a balancing act that comes with experience and you may find that your actions to specify the customer's requirements with respect to raw material and periodic inspection will be providing the auditor a bit of added experience with the auditing of your client.

I'm looking forward to reading other responses to your post, particularly from other auditors.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris
Old 4th June 2009, 01:26 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Very interesting topic! I have been auditing and been audited to AS9100 for over six years now and never had an issue with raw materials until recently. One contract auditor this year decided to take it to a level that I am not comfortable with. He looks at raw material as anything that has a test report that can be validated. In other words, Loctite, conformal coat, RTV, roll solder, solder paste, flux, alcohol, etc..
I my opinion this does not make sense as most if not all of these products are third party tested by the manufacture with objective evidence readily available.
Good news is I hear this requirement is being removed from rev (C). I would think instead of removing they could have simply clarified the requirement. I can understand the need in certain circumstances.
Old 4th June 2009, 03:14 PM
Aerospace Man

I Say... Re: Raw Material - AS9100 Definition Of A Raw Material

I distinguish between raw material and 'other' material as material not purchased to a part number or stuff that does not require a first article per AS9102.

AS9102 requires raw material to be listed seperately on the bottom of form 2. Whereas purchased items are listed on form 1 and are subject totheir own first articles as applicable.

Therefore, forgings castings, and other 'processed' raw material is not raw material and (by my definition) not subject to raw material testing requirements on the purchaser.

The requirement should be imposed on the 'processor' of the raw material.

And remember " There is no finish line"

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Essentials > Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?