Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
definitions, sop (standard operating procedure), work instructions (wi), policies and policy statements, procedures (general), differences (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 28th January 2007, 04:59 AM
$ Contributor

Registration Date: Oct 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 395
Thanked 1,029 Times in 590 Posts
Karma Power: 188
Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Procedure vs. Work Instruction (WI) - What is the difference?

Kathy, the areas you mention such as management review and HR can certainly be addressed in the manual if you wish. Perhaps you need to think about where would be the easiest place for people to access them. If you think anyone needing the information would look in the manual and find it OK then fine. However, you mention that your manual looks like the standard and I don't think that the standard makes easy reading.

There are many manuals that look like the standard and they get by OK, though it is not my preference to use the words of the standard. Generally, in procedures we can use more 'everyday language' (without the swearing!!) and simply tell people what is expected of them in language they understand.

Keep posting until you get what you want. Colin.

If you think training is expensive, try ignorance

Sponsored Links
Old 28th January 2007, 10:21 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jan 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 33
katschance has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Colpart View Post

Kathy, the areas you mention such as management review and HR can certainly be addressed in the manual if you wish. Perhaps you need to think about where would be the easiest place for people to access them. If you think anyone needing the information would look in the manual and find it OK then fine. However, you mention that your manual looks like the standard and I don't think that the standard makes easy reading.

There are many manuals that look like the standard and they get by OK, though it is not my preference to use the words of the standard. Generally, in procedures we can use more 'everyday language' (without the swearing!!) and simply tell people what is expected of them in language they understand.

Keep posting until you get what you want. Colin.
Colin,
How funny, the ISO is very hard to understand. What do you mean by easy access for people? We have our procedures with our manual.

I have wrote a procedure for Management Responsibiltiy and Review, Training and Resources, and of course Document and Record control. I am working on Nonconformance right now. Some of the department managers are writing for their section and are asking me questions about procedure vs WI especially engineering and manufacturing. Can you have procedures without WI? Are WI controlled? Sorry for all the questions, but I am very new and this site is the only place I get real answers. By the way, we only have 6 employees in the engineering and R&D facility. Thank you for taking time with me. Kathy
Sponsored Links

Old 28th January 2007, 01:50 PM
$ Contributor

Registration Date: Oct 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 395
Thanked 1,029 Times in 590 Posts
Karma Power: 188
Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Colin is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

By 'easy access', I mean that people can readily find the information they are looking for. If you have a manual of say, 20 pages and perhaps 12 procedures with 3 or 4 pages in them, that is a lot of pages for people to go through in order to find what they need.

Personally, I keep the manual separate from the procedures because it only tends to be used infrequently while procedures are more likely to be used more often.

Certainly you can, and most often will, have procedures without WI's. WI's are only needed where you need to explain something in more detail. I would control WI's in a similar way to procedures because they may be subject to change and if they are, you will want to know who has copies and what version they are at.

If you think training is expensive, try ignorance
Old 30th January 2007, 08:14 PM

Registration Date: Mar 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 11
Karma Power: 135
Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Greg B is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by katschance View Post

Colin,
How funny, the ISO is very hard to understand. What do you mean by easy access for people? We have our procedures with our manual.

I have wrote a procedure for Management Responsibility and Review, Training and Resources, and of course Document and Record control. I am working on Non conformance right now. Some of the department managers are writing for their section and are asking me questions about procedure vs WI especially engineering and manufacturing. Can you have procedures without WI? Are WI controlled? Sorry for all the questions, but I am very new and this site is the only place I get real answers. By the way, we only have 6 employees in the engineering and R&D facility. Thank you for taking time with me. Kathy
Welcome Kathy

1: Here is my basic description of what all the documents mean. I have made it into a schematic called the Document Pyramid
Procedures: Defines Who, What, When, Where and Why (Broad Picture)...whereas
Work Instructions: Answers How we do IT! (More specific).
2: YES..You can have Procedures without WI. Our Management Review Procedure and Internal Audit procedures do not link to a WI.
3: Although WI do not have to be controlled if that is what your system SAYs..I strongly advises that they be controlled as you need to ensure they are kept current
4: Never be sorry for asking questions. That is what we do here...We Ask, Debate (sometimes roughly LOL) and try and answer questions
Here is my Power Point presentation on Why we have Quality Systems and Process Mapping. The first presentation is a hands on classroom exercise and contains notes for the instructor/facilitator.

- Greg B -
'Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare'
Thank You to Greg B for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 30th January 2007, 11:27 PM

Registration Date: Jan 2007

Karma Power: 33
katschance has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Thank you so much!!!
Kathy
Old 11th September 2007, 06:34 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Jul 2007

Karma Power: 30
LUTTO has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Hi,

Agree with all of the above. Have a look at ISO10013 - Guidelines for Quality Management System Documentation is you can get your hands on it.

It explains the hierarchy of Policy, Procedure, Work Instruction and Support Docs. Work Instructions Level is typically quite broad as it tends to include many other documents types such as SOPs, PCPs etc.

Rgds,

Owen
Old 11th September 2007, 06:46 PM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,902
Thanked 5,436 Times in 3,409 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ISO 10013 title

Technically, ISO 10013 is titled "Guidelines for Developing an ISO 9000 Quality Manual". I can't speak to the content because I don't have a copy of it.

A Search is a terrible thing to waste!
One Test is Worth 1000 Expert Opinions - The plural of anecdote is not data - Correlation does not imply Causation
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Unknown
Old 11th September 2007, 06:59 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Jul 2007

Karma Power: 30
LUTTO has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Apologies, I should have said AS ISO 10013:2003 or ISO TR 10013:2001 which provide more info on documents as well as the Quality Manual.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?