The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Line Clearance - What is the ISO 13485 / regulatory guidance?

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 6th June 2006, 10:30 AM
John Martyn

Question Line Clearance - What is the ISO 13485 / regulatory guidance?

Hi all,
A quick question with regard to line clearance. What is the regulatory guidance on line clearance? It is not very well highlighted in ISO 13485: 2003 but yet is a critical tool to prevent mix-ups and ensure traceability, etc. Can anyone point me to guidance docs/ regulatory docs for use in creating a policy?
All help greatly appreciated.
John M.
P.S. Thanks Al for your redirection. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 7th June 2006, 02:26 AM
Gert Sorensen

Re: Line Clearance - What is the ISO 13485 / regulatory guidance?

I think you're looking for the cGMP. As far as I recall it deals with lineclearance. You are quite right that it is essential to ensure a smooth and secure production so obviously ISO13485 don't deal with it in a timely and efficient manner
Sponsored Links

Old 19th April 2008, 01:23 PM
km214

Hello all,
As I am currently working with a company that must address this issue for the first time in their 17 year history and with my experience I find that tying line clearance with ID and traceability suits the purpose just fine. As this is addressed in ISO as Prod ID traceability I think it helps to be thorough in implementation. In our case we are dealing with several different shaped machined parts...custom for the most part. I too must implement a line clearance procedure but one that will flow with machinists and their machined parts....pretty tricky when it comes to securing lots of parts or segregating them as they travel through the many processes in finishing the parts...Once I have the segregation issue worked out ...line clearance is easy. BUT I have to implement a general line clearance ASAP due to a customer audit that I must get closed out in less than two weeks....I have addressed all the other BIG issues already in the month and a half I have been on site....(including 4 validations that needed polishing while I was contracting from MA for the month I was packing and moving...but I have no doubt I will find something here that can help me in my quest. I hope my sharing will help and if I can provide greater insight on any topic more specific to your needs please let me know.
Best of luck
Old 19th April 2008, 10:25 PM
Ajit Basrur

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by John Martyn View Post

Hi all,
A quick question with regard to line clearance. What is the regulatory guidance on line clearance? It is not very well highlighted in ISO 13485: 2003 but yet is a critical tool to prevent mix-ups and ensure traceability, etc. Can anyone point me to guidance docs/ regulatory docs for use in creating a policy?
All help greatly appreciated.
John M.
P.S. Thanks Al for your redirection. Much appreciated.
Hi John,

Welcome to the Cove

Yes, Line Clearance is very much required as per FDA and is mentioned under "PRODUCTION SYSTEM" and "PACKAGING AND LABELING SYSTEM" in Compliance Guide . FDA insist on having a procedure for Line Clearance and Documentation resulting there from.

For your info, I got this procedure and templates on Line Clearance titled -
SOP - Procedures for Line Clearance, Line Opening and Line Cleaning

Though not explictly mentioned in ISO 13485, I feel it is mandatory as ISO 13485:2003 specifies requirements for a quality management system where an organization needs to demonstrate its ability to provide medical devices and related services that consistently meet customer requirements and regulatory requirements.
Old 28th April 2008, 09:37 AM
Roland Cooke

ISO13485 does have specific requirements for traceability. Not every line in every company would need to be cleared, which is maybe why not more is stated in the issue, but I agree that some extra detail in the section would be useful.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485 and ISO 14969 - Medical Devices - Quality Management Systems

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?