The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 21st June 2006, 04:50 PM
Quality Team

Registration Date: Jun 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 138
Karma Power: 212
ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ralphsulser is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Question Six Sigma Green Belt Training varies from 3 days to 3 weeks? Why such a disparity?

We have been looking around for some meaningful, and economical six sigma green belt training. I am seeing courses with exams with a duration of anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks.
Both the 3 day and 3 week providers are well qualified institutions.
I am trying to figure why such a disparity in training time to achieve a green belt certification. Anyone have information or experience with reasons why the differences?

"Nothing is constant except change"

Sponsored Links
Old 21st June 2006, 04:59 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 61
jmp4429 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.jmp4429 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.jmp4429 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.jmp4429 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.jmp4429 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.jmp4429 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.jmp4429 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
Six Sigma Green belt training

This is purely speculation, but I wonder if the difference could be the amount of time spent on basic statistical principles. “Green Belt for Engineers” could conceivably be a much shorter class than “Green Belt for Art Teachers,” but much longer than “Green Belt for Statisticians.”
Sponsored Links

Old 21st June 2006, 05:11 PM
Courtesy Access

Registration Date: Jun 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 8
Karma Power: 120
Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Duke Okes is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Six Sigma Green belt training

There is a lot of variation in the training provided for both GBs and BBs. There are really no widely accepted standards ... anyone can design a course and call it a GB course.

It really depends on what you expect GBs to do ... e.g., support BBs on their projects, or do their own projects, but with a narower scope. Just SS, or also lean? Some GBs courses focus primarily on statistical/analytical tools. Some also in include some lean tools.

In my opinion, a decent GB course should be about 10 days in length.
Old 28th August 2006, 11:26 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2006

Karma Power: 35
Johnson is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Re: Six Sigma Green belt training varies from 3 days to 3 weeks? Why such a disparity?

I would like to say that 3-day training for Six Sigma green belt is nothing. I had attended a 3-day so called six sigma fundamental training If fact it was a training for 7 old and new quality tools. It covered the concept of six sigma and an example of six sigma project report.

I had also attended a 4-week ( 8 hour per day) six sigma green belt training conducted my employer. Even this 4-week course was arranged one month after month. During one month the assignment must be completed and the six sigma project should have progress. This training really helps a lot.

For black belt training, we spent another 3 weeks.

Why the training could last 3 days to 3 weeks ? I assume some is making money only while neglecting the result...

Best Regards,
Johnson Shao
Old 28th August 2006, 02:41 PM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 173
Karma Power: 292
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
BIG Smile Re: Six Sigma Green belt training varies from 3 days to 3 weeks? Why such a disparity?

I've had 16+ years of Green Belt training...

never mind.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Old 28th August 2006, 06:49 PM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 502
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,899 Posts
Karma Power: 1166
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Six Sigma Green belt training varies from 3 days to 3 weeks? Why such a disparity?

Let me suggest the only true comparison is the Body of Knowledge in which the course purports to help the student become proficient.

Ask the course provider to provide that in advance as well as to disclose the prerequisite knowledge the student is expected to bring to the course.

Will the course have a "practical" application of the tools on a real world situation or will everything be "PowerPoint?"

Will the course provider supply references of satisfied clients? Will they supply samples of pre-and post-course comprehension tests?

If not, why not?

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857
Old 10th September 2006, 04:24 AM
Six Sigma Consultant

Registration Date: Sep 2006

Karma Power: 32
Paul06 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Six Sigma Green Belt Training varies from 3 days to 3 weeks? Why such a disparity?

It depends on the content for the aim of the course. Our training is 1-week long and we expect people to work on an active project for 50% of that time in class while learning theory in the other half. We stick to the methodology and the quality tools and dont go down the statistics path. I definitely dont understand a 3 week class and if I was in charge in my organisation I certainly wouldnt allow anyone to go on training for longer than 5 days for a green belt project.
Old 10th September 2006, 09:20 AM
Quality Manager

Registration Date: Sep 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 502
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,899 Posts
Karma Power: 1166
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Wes Bucey is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Six Sigma Green Belt Training varies from 3 days to 3 weeks? Why such a disparity?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Paul06 View Post

It depends on the content for the aim of the course. Our training is 1-week long and we expect people to work on an active project for 50% of that time in class while learning theory in the other half. We stick to the methodology and the quality tools and dont go down the statistics path. I definitely dont understand a 3 week class and if I was in charge in my organisation I certainly wouldnt allow anyone to go on training for longer than 5 days for a green belt project.
Welcome to the Cove, Paul!

How do the instructors determine the students are competent after training? How are the instructors selected and evaluated on proficiency in training?

Many of the folks here will attest folks who are proficient in a Body of Knowledge are not always able to help other folks learn that BOK.

Who designs the curriculum? Who determines whether students may need different style or method of learning to assimilate the material?

I don't mean to put you on the spot - only to point out that time, alone, is not the major criterion for a successful course of education.

"Few minds wear out; more rust out"
Inscribed over the entrance of Louis Pasteur School, Chicago
Christian Nestell Bovee (1820-1904) in Thoughts, Feelings and Fancies, 1857

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?