Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

How do I calculate Gage R&R (GR&R) with 1 tester, 1 operator, 3x4 units?

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 12th July 2006, 04:49 PM
iii_v

Total Posts: 1
Question How do I calculate Gage R&R (GR&R) with 1 tester, 1 operator, 3x4 units?

hello all,

I apologize in advance if this is has been hashed out (or so basic it's not worth asking). but i couldn't do a good search to find what i need.

by the way, I'm spanking-new to QA.. and I'm frantically trying to figure out what I'm trying to calculate... so please bear with me.

A customer has asked for GR&R information on our test setup. I think we have data to generate the value, but I have no idea how to calculate it.

1 test equipment
1 operator
3 control units that has 4 channels (essentially 3x4=12 separate measurements per test)
50+ tests (yes. 50x12 data points!)

I can get stdev for each separate channel (have 12 separate stdev). after that, what do I do? also another stupid question is, what unit is GR&R and what does it really mean? (e.g. GR&R=1 vs GR&R=10, 20, etc. I guess I'm sort of looking for a rule-of-thumb guidlines like, GR&R=y is ideal, GR&R=z is very bad, etc).

help!
Linda

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 12th July 2006, 10:24 PM
Miner

Total Posts: 3,577
Re: How do I calculate GR&R with 1 tester, 1 operator, 3x4 units?

You cannot determine GRR with this setup. The best that you can do is determine repeatability, but not reproducibility. Given your criteria, I recommend performing the AIAG Stability study. A calculation shown in this method will provide the repeatability of the measurement system. Is there a reason that you cannot use multiple operators?

GRR results are either 5.15 or 6 standard deviations in the same measurement unit. However, this is typically converted into a percentage of the tolerance (P/T Ratio) or as a percentage of the process variation (% GRR). The rule for these ratios are: < 10% is ideal, < 30% may be acceptable depending on the importance of the characteristic, the feasibility of improving the measurement system, etc. and > 30% is not acceptable.

P/T Ratio is used to determine whether the gage is acceptable for inspection purposes. %GRR is used to determine whether the gage is acceptable for process control, capability studies or process improvement.

Last edited by Miner; 12th July 2006 at 10:30 PM.
Thanks to Miner for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 13th July 2006, 04:53 AM
jrubio

Total Posts: 546
Re: How do I calculate GR&R with 1 tester, 1 operator, 3x4 units?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by iii_v

hello all,

I apologize in advance if this is has been hashed out (or so basic it's not worth asking). but i couldn't do a good search to find what i need.

by the way, I'm spanking-new to QA.. and I'm frantically trying to figure out what I'm trying to calculate... so please bear with me.

A customer has asked for GR&R information on our test setup. I think we have data to generate the value, but I have no idea how to calculate it.

1 test equipment
1 operator
3 control units that has 4 channels (essentially 3x4=12 separate measurements per test)
50+ tests (yes. 50x12 data points!)

I can get stdev for each separate channel (have 12 separate stdev). after that, what do I do? also another stupid question is, what unit is GR&R and what does it really mean? (e.g. GR&R=1 vs GR&R=10, 20, etc. I guess I'm sort of looking for a rule-of-thumb guidlines like, GR&R=y is ideal, GR&R=z is very bad, etc).

You need:

1 test equipment
2 operators, Just see the Templete. See Atachement

Althoug this Version is now Obsolet, The costant has changed, Update it.

10 meassurements times two for Every Operator

By two Operators means 40 meassurents, See templete.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: xls GRR Delphi.xls (86.5 KB, 395 views)

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?