The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 18th August 2006, 10:24 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Aug 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 33
Vestvera has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Six Sigma Project on Reducing Plastic Injection Molding Rejects

Recently, i just started a six sigma project on reducing plastic injection molding rejects. Any reference or example to share? Thanks
Thanks to Vestvera for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
Old 19th August 2006, 06:50 PM
Heretical Statistician

Registration Date: Jan 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 1,229
Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,242 Posts
Karma Power: 374
Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Six Sigma Project on Reducing Plastic Injection Molding Rejects

well, what are the defects? what is the defect rate? ow many different product types what is the defect pareto? how many different pieces of equipment? are you working on one defect type? one product type?
what is the time series of defect rates by defect type?

we need more details. this isn't a cookbook exercise.
Sponsored Links

Old 20th August 2006, 07:15 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

JPSmith has less than 100 Karma points so far.

And give brief definitions of defects for the non-molders here.

Is this is a school project?
Old 20th August 2006, 07:28 AM

Hi, Thanks for your response. Currently my project statement is to reduce wheel assembly rejection rate from 30% to 5%. This wheel assembly process contain of the overmold process (two molding process). involving a lot of handling activities from process 1 to 2. This wheel assembly is TPE material that so soft and easily cause the defects. The current process performance in the pareto chart showed the dent and scratch were the highest defects of 10.2% and 7.3% representive. Any format and example to start off this project?

Last edited by Vestvera; 20th August 2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 20th August 2006, 11:15 AM
Heretical Statistician

Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Bev D is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

before I respond - I must ask what training you have had on six sigma? the questions you ask are very basic, whether you are "doing a six sigma project" or have simply been tasked to improve the process.

If you are in a six sigma training program your instruction in the first week shoudl have covered your questions
Old 21st August 2006, 04:18 AM

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Bev D View Post

If you are in a six sigma training program your instruction in the first week shoudl have covered your questions
What i referring is the powerpoint format to start off my project. This is the purpose of the presentation to my top management. Currently take off the six sigma black belt program. Just beginning of the program and hopefully can acquired as much knowledge as can. Any powerpoint format available? Thanks
Old 21st August 2006, 10:48 AM
Heretical Statistician

my recommendation would be to provide a Pareto-Trend of the defects currently experienced.
you might look at the last 6-12 months of data (whatever makes sense) and pareto by quantity of occurence (assuming that cost to fix is the same for each defect type - regrind? if cost isn't the same, then you might also pareto by cost for each defect type).
then take each of the top 5-10 defect types, trend the occurence rate for the same period of time as the pareto. (Do not trend cost only occurrence rate, monthly or weekly depending on volumes.) This show demonstrates whether or not the defects are stable, increasing, decreasing or if a spiek occurred and has since been corrected. it adds info to the pareto that will help with prioritization of which defects you should pursue.

I would aslo repeat this for each of the top product types - there are likely differences in some defect occurrences based on product types.

you would then select the top defect/products as the target for your project

In my handouts I use a portrait format with a tall pareto that has the trend charts positioned to the right of their pareto bar...in an overhead I show the pareto on one slide then the trend charts in pareto order on a second slide...
Old 21st August 2006, 01:33 PM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Nov 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 28
Karma Power: 57
gszekely is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.gszekely is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.gszekely is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.gszekely is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.gszekely is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.gszekely is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.gszekely is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.

Try here for template.
http://www.isixsigma.com/offsite.asp.../templates.htm
I 'm on holliday, if you are intrested later, I can check for my one.
Do you need anything else than the template ?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Six Sigma

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?