The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
registration to a standard, iso 9001 - quality management systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 19th October 2006, 01:41 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Dec 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 86
Karma Power: 88
al40 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.al40 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.al40 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.al40 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.al40 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.al40 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.al40 is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.
I Say... ISO 9001 Registration Pros and Cons

I have been asked by my boss to share best practices with a company in our area concenrning what we've done with our quality systems and how ISO registration has helped us.

So I've been asked to first present overview on the "Pros and Cons of ISO registration" in order to help them determine if they want to pursue ISO 9001:2000 registration or not.

Can anyone point me to a document or article that discusses the pros and cons of ISO registration, that I could use to develop an overview? I'm pro ISO and have never thought of ISO having any cons.

Thanks,

Al

Sponsored Links
Old 19th October 2006, 01:44 PM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 177
Karma Power: 297
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: ISO 9001 Registration Pros and Cons

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Allen M. View Post

I have been asked by my boss to share best practices with a company in our area concenrning what we've done with our quality systems and how ISO registration has helped us.

So I've been asked to first present overview on the "Pros and Cons of ISO registration" in order to help them determine if they want to pursue ISO 9001:2000 registration or not.

Can anyone point me to a document or article that discusses the pros and cons of ISO registration, that I could use to develop an overview? I'm pro ISO and have never thought of ISO having any cons.

Thanks,

Al
I don't have an overview but I think that the first and most common CON is cost.
Cost in man hours
Cost for registration
Cost for surveillance

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Sponsored Links

Old 19th October 2006, 01:48 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jan 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 323
Karma Power: 267
Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Craig H. is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Allen M. View Post

I have been asked by my boss to share best practices with a company in our area concerning what we've done with our quality systems and how ISO registration has helped us.
Does any cover have an overview on the pros and cons of ISO registration, that I could use to develop an overview? I'm pro ISO and have never thought of ISO having any cons.

Thanks,

Al
Al,

Sure there are cons. The cost of registration and audits are one, if the decision is made to go that route. There is also the cost of the time spent auditing, documenting, etc. (but we should be doing that sort of thing anyway, shouldn't we?). A perceived cost, or more correctly risk, is having outside eyes looking at sensitive areas of the company, but I don't know of any instances where this has become an issue in reality (anyone else?).

Another con is that it is something new, which will, in itself, generate fear. You can look at other threads here at the Cove for some great advice concerning limiting this, though.

The big one might be training and/or consulting costs.

Weigh these against the pros of a well-designed Q system, and I think things should balance nicely in favor of ISO 9001.
Old 19th October 2006, 01:59 PM
Post Responsibly

Registration Date: Oct 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 1,684
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,600 Posts
Karma Power: 920
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

I think that one of the biggest "cons" is the false sense of security that a certificate and zero non-conformities might provide. Many organizations mistakenly derive that, by being certified and not being written up by the external auditors, they have an effective management system in place.

Sustainable conformity assessment must add value to all stakeholders
Old 19th October 2006, 04:27 PM
Appreciated Member

Thanks Given to Others: 29
Karma Power: 96
RCW is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.RCW is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.RCW is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.RCW is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.

Trying to look out of the box a little more and adding another con, is this company going to be venturing in other fields where there are requirements above and beyond ISO 9001? If the company ever ventures into automotive, aerospace, medical (and I'm sure I missed a couple), they will have to be registered specifically for that or those specs.

There are others at the Cove here whose companies are "multi-functional", that is reaching across several of the disciplines listed above. I'm sure they also have "fun" keeping track of concurrent quality systems.

Wasn't ISO 9000 suppose to be the one and only quality system?
Old 19th October 2006, 05:46 PM
Post Responsibly

Thanks Given to Others: 1,684
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,600 Posts
Karma Power: 920
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Sidney Vianna is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by RCW View Post

Wasn't ISO 9000 suppose to be the one and only quality system?
Not really. Never intended as such. I hope the OP does not need help with "pros". So far, he's got none.

Sustainable conformity assessment must add value to all stakeholders
Old 20th October 2006, 08:19 AM
Appreciated Member

Thanks Given to Others: 29
Karma Power: 96
RCW is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.RCW is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.RCW is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.RCW is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Sidney Vianna View Post

Not really. Never intended as such. I hope the OP does not need help with "pros". So far, he's got none.
My bad! I should have used a facetious emoticon to qualify my statement.

How's this for a pro? When a company acknowledges it needs are real plan to operate its business and goes to the effort of establishing an industry standard quality system, why shouldn't they take the credit for the work they have accomplished? Let the rest of the business world know that your company is ready to compete and deliver to its customers. This can best be done by having a third party registrar come into the company and recognizing those efforts by certification.
Old 20th October 2006, 08:50 AM
Moderator here to help

Registration Date: Jan 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 941
Karma Power: 479
Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Coury Ferguson is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by RCW View Post

My bad! I should have used a facetious emoticon to qualify my statement.

How's this for a pro? When a company acknowledges it needs are real plan to operate its business and goes to the effort of establishing an industry standard quality system, why shouldn't they take the credit for the work they have accomplished? Let the rest of the business world know that your company is ready to compete and deliver to its customers. This can best be done by having a third party registrar come into the company and recognizing those efforts by certification.
But it gets down to: Certification does not guarantee product and customer's expectations are met.

My Pro: It establishes and validates evidence that the Business System and practices are consistent within defined parameters.

"The one thing I want to leave my children is an honorable name." "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." Theodore Roosevelt Chicago, IL, April 10, 1899

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Quality Management Systems > ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 - Questions and Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?