The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
spc (statistical process control), microsoft excel .xls .xlsx spreadsheet, spreadsheets, control charts (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 16th March 2000, 12:49 AM
dbulak@psteel.com
Unregistered Guest

Question How to build an SPC control chart in an Excel .xls spreadsheet

Does anyone know where I can get easy step by step instructions on how to build a control chart in the Excel spreadsheet?

Sponsored Links
Old 26th March 2000, 09:40 PM
Marloun
Unregistered Guest

You might want to try the SPC Kiss software. No, I am not too familiar with it so you have to ask another one for more info (if anyone's who knows SPC Kiss is reading this, please help out!!!). If I would like to make a control chart using excel, what I do is that I graph four sets of data (upper limit, lower limit, x-bar and the actual data), with the upper and lower limits and average having the same values upto the nth data point (i.e. if you have 10 data points, you will have ten U.L. values of say 43 units, another ten L.L. values of 23 units and another 10 values for the average of maybe 33 units) and only the actual obtained data will be variable. If youl'd like more help just email me and I'll give you an excel file attachment. Rgds.
Sponsored Links

Old 27th March 2000, 02:54 PM
mbruner
Unregistered Guest

Here is a website that gives some examples of creating control charts in Excel. www.qualitydigest.com/oct97/html/excel.html
Old 16th April 2000, 05:30 AM
Don Watt
Unregistered Guest

I'm no statistical expert, but I've managed to produce control charts and capability calculations using excel. If anybody wants a copy/explanation of the formula I'd be happy to oblige.

Preference for using excel is to avoid having to learn a "canned" package, plus most of my colleagues are already familiar with excel.

One are I am having a bit of difficult with is that although I can produce histograms it's a bit of a long winded process in sorting and sub-totalling data. Does anybody have a simple method for histograms in excel?
Old 16th April 2000, 05:46 PM
BWoods
Unregistered Guest

Lightbulb

A simple and not too expensive way to get SPC for Excel is purchase the following book. It comes with a disk full of SPC charts, etc., written in Excel. All you have to do is copy to your computer and start using them.

I can't remember what I paid for this, but it wasn't a bad price.

Statistical Quality Control Using Excel
By Steven M. Zimmerman, et al
ISBN 0-87389-393-X
ASQ Press

With the ISBN you can get it almost anywhere, or order from:

www.asq.org

Old 17th April 2000, 09:50 AM

Registration Date: Sep 1999

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 207
Sam is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Sam is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Sam is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Sam is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Sam is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Sam is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Sam is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Sam is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Sam is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.
BIG Smile

I purchased a canned version of excel charting By the name of the "QI coloring Book", 59.95 and well worth the price.
1-888-468-1535/1537.
Old 17th April 2000, 10:01 AM
Your Elsmar Cove Host

Registration Date: Jan 1996

Thanks Given to Others: 9,482
Thanked 5,162 Times in 3,278 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Marc is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Covering Ass

Hot Off the Quality Press

Statistical Quality Control Using Excel (with software)
by Steven M. Zimmerman, Ph.D., and Marjorie L. Icenogle, Ph.D.

Quality practitioners from every industry have long used statistical quality control (SQC) to ensure that their products and services meet customer expectations. Too often, however, those less experienced with SQC find it difficult to interpret the complicated mathematical formulas and detailed sampling results associated with the application. As a result, many professionals have successfully turned to Excel® software to simplify their SQC endeavors and quickly reap the benefits of actually exceeding customer requirements.

Whether you’re new to SQC or the software product Excel, you’ll find all the information you need to understand and incorporate the two in Statistical Quality Control Using Excel. Nonmathematical descriptions guide you through the basics of both SQC and the methods of creating control charts using Excel. You’ll discover easy-to-read explanations of statistical distribution, outliers, and the analysis required for SQC methods. Statistical process control methods such as p and np control charts and Pareto charts are also demonstrated. This book will quickly become your most used source, as it will help you:

* Master the basics of structuring SQC problems using control charts and graphs
* Train those moving from Lotus 1-2-3® to the Excel spreadsheet software
* Reduce costly calculation errors

Practice problems, definitions of key terms, examples, and end of chapter summaries help make this book an outstanding tutorial for your desktop.

CONTENTS (Summarized): SQC and Spreadsheet Programs • Microsoft Excel Basics • Learning More About Excel • Statistical Fundamentals Using Excel • Distributions • Selected Functions and Data Analysis Tools • X Bar and Range Control Charts • X Bar and Sigma Control Charts • p and NP Control Charts • c and u Control Charts • Process Capability • Pareto and Fishbone Diagrams • Individual, Moving Average, and Moving Range Control Charts • Binomial and Hypergeometric Distributions • Operating Characteristics and Power Curves • Average Outgoing Quality

Additional Information:
System Requirements: Excel template disk will only run on Windows 95 running Excel 7
1998. 375 pages. ISBN 0-87389-393-X. 7 x 10 softcover.
Item: H0982 Member Price: $45.00 List Price: $50.00

This is a recently added title to our Quality Press collection and may or may not be listed in our Quality InfoSearch or our current Quality Press Publication Catalog. To save time, please call ASQ’s Customer Service Center at 800-248-1946 or 414-272-8575 to order this title.
Old 25th April 2000, 05:24 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Nov 1998

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 67
BRoyal has less than 100 Karma points so far.
I use the SPC KISS software, which is marketed by Air Academy Associates in Colorado Springs. It's inexpensive, fast, and very easy to learn and use. A bunch of other stuff is bundled with it, like Pareto charts, cumsums, etc.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?