Definition Error Proofing vs. Mistake Proofing - Differences?

S

sathis

Is there a difference in Fool proofing, Error proofing, Mistake proofing ?

SATHIS

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Fool Proofing, Error Proofing, Mistake Proofing - Differences?

Yes!

Fool proofing is disrespectful and you shouldn't use the terminology!:nope:

Some people will tell you that mistake proofing happen after a problem has happened. Error proofing happens before any problems occur.:agree1:

Andy

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

I pretty much agree the only difference is "tone of voice." One of the main complaints about the Japanese term "Poka Yoke" is that it is an inelegant phrase roughly comparable to English "idiot proofing."

My personal preference is for the term "mistake proofing" regardless if it happens in the design phase (during FMEA - Failure mode & effects analysis) or as a corrective action to prevent discrepancies noted in actual production.

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions

i believe "idiot proofing" is "baka yoke" is japanese, "baka" being a deregatory word. That is the term is changed to "poka" which means mistake.

reynald

i believe "idiot proofing" is "baka yoke" is japanese, "baka" being a deregatory word. That is the term is changed to "poka" which means mistake.

I see i have a lot of type errors in here, my keyboard is not "mistake-proofed". :)

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

Is there a difference in Fool proofing,Error proofing, Mistake proofing ?

SATHIS

From Shigeo Shingo's book on Poka Yoke:

Poka Yoke roughly translates as mistake proofing and is typically applied to the PROCESS to prevent the cause of the mistake, shut the process down if the mistake occurs, or trigger an alarm if the mistake occurs. This was originally called Misu Yoke, or fool proofing, but was quickly changed, when Japanese sensibilities were offended by the term fool (anyone can make a mistake).

Shingo uses the term Error Proofing to refer to actions applied to the DESIGN to prevent errors from occurring. This could include the addition of design features to prevent misassembly defects such as reversed, upside-down, etc. This could include making the part asymetrical so it can only be assembled one way, or making it perfectly symetrical so it does not matter how it is assembled.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Yes!
Fool proofing is disrespectful and you shouldn't use the terminology!:nope:
Andy

Could this be a British interpretation? The term is common in the US, and the "fool" part of it isn't considered synonymous with "idiot"; it's "fool" in its intransitive verb sense of being taken in by some sort of trickery or unexpected circumstances.

D

David Hartman

Is there a difference in Fool proofing,Error proofing, Mistake proofing ?

SATHIS

To answer your question succincly: There is really no difference, it is just a matter of semantics. It depends on the person using the terminology, but for the most part the intent is the same no matter what verbiage is used.

But as others have pointed out, the more politically correct would be Error proofing or Mistake proofing.

gard2372

Tomato Toma'to, Potato Pota'to!

S

sanjayARYAN

i thnk this is the waste of time by questioning & answering such type of questions.Administrator must do some type of fool proofing so that such questions will be avoided & we can concentrate more on serious questions.

Top Bottom