The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Click the graphic above.
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 20th December 2006, 08:48 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: May 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 168
Karma Power: 44
luciano has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Question Relationship between Calibration and a Gage R&R study?

Hello all of you,
Can somebody explain to me the relation between calibration an RR study ?
I really donít understand it.
Right now I am in charge to do a in house calibration procedure, an I need your help because I really donít know which are the stages of this procedure.
Thank you very much.

God bless you and a Happy Christmas

Sponsored Links
Old 20th December 2006, 08:59 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,047
Thanked 5,973 Times in 3,809 Posts
Karma Power: 1529
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Relation between calibration an RR study ?

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by luciano View Post

Hello all of you,
Can somebody explain to me the relation between calibration an RR study ?
I really donít understand it.
Right now I am in charge to do a in house calibration procedure, an I need your help because I really donít know which are the stages of this procedure.
Thank you very much.

God bless you and a Happy Christmas
It's really pretty simple. "Calibration" is comparison of a measurement device to an accepted standard. It confirms that the gage is capable of working as designed, to accepted levels of accuracy and precision.
R&R (and other forms of MSA--measurement system analysis) is used to determine whether or not a given device is appropriate for the intended application. A tape measure may be calibrated to determine whether or not its graduation markings are accurate as compared to a standard. The fact that it is acceptable in that regard doesn't mean that it will be appropriate to use in all applications.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Sponsored Links

Old 20th December 2006, 09:21 AM
Involved - Posts

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

It's really pretty simple. "Calibration" is comparison of a measurement device to an accepted standard. It confirms that the gage is capable of working as designed, to accepted levels of accuracy and precision.
R&R (and other forms of MSA--measurement system analysis) is used to determine whether or not a given device is appropriate for the intended application. A tape measure may be calibrated to determine whether or not its graduation markings are accurate as compared to a standard. The fact that it is acceptable in that regard doesn't mean that it will be appropriate to use in all applications.
thank you very much.

Some advices for calibration procedure stages ?
Old 20th December 2006, 09:33 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,047
Thanked 5,973 Times in 3,809 Posts
Karma Power: 1529
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by luciano View Post

thank you very much.

Some advices for calibration procedure stages ?
You're welcome. Use the Search function--you'll find lots of information on calibration and calibration procedures. You can start with the list of related threads down near the bottom of this page. Then, if you have specific questions, please post back and we'll be glad to help.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 20th December 2006, 09:38 AM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Jul 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 8
Karma Power: 51
martin elliott is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.martin elliott is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Re: Relation between Calibration and a Gage R&R study?

If you are at the start of structuring a calibration laboratory from a clean start then perhaps ISO17025 and ISO5725 can provide some guidence.

It certainly won't be harmful to read up principals.

Martin in England
Getting Older but no Wiser
Old 20th December 2006, 10:40 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jul 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 94
Karma Power: 50
DsqrdDGD909 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.DsqrdDGD909 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.DsqrdDGD909 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.DsqrdDGD909 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.

What kind of measuring device(s) and for what application(s)?
Old 29th December 2006, 03:55 PM
Involved - Posts

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by DsqrdDGD909 View Post

What kind of measuring device(s) and for what application(s)?
It's a torque screw. I need to calibrate in-house this torque screw. I never did it before and I need some advice.

It' necesary to introduce in my procedure a chapter about R&R study ?
tank you very much
God bless you in this new year.
Happy new year
Old 29th December 2006, 08:02 PM
Metrologist-Auditor

Registration Date: Mar 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 299
Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Hershal is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Relationship between Calibration and a Gage R&R study?

I would not include a section abut R&R, but certainly would about measurement uncertainty.....

For a calibration to be considered traceable, two things are required: (1) an unbroken chain of comparison to National or international standards; and (2) stated uncertainty at each step.

The unbroken chain will only require documenting the link to the calibration standard by including the description or number of the calibration standard, its next calibration due date, and the certificate number from its last calibration.

The uncertainty can be calculated for the type of application or for each specific calibration.....I would examine how many of the calibrations are to be done in order to decide which to do.

The uncertainty tells you how much error exists in the calibration and what the error is.....it includes the calibration standard, the instrument being calibrated, environmental conditions, and any other influences that might affect the measurement.

As for procedure steps, I would start with a visual and functional check of the instrument; required items to effect the calibration; connections or similar; the specific tasks to effect the calibration; documentation including traceability and uncertainty.

Also, obtain a copy of The Metrology Handbook, available from ASQ.

http://www.asq.org

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > ISO 17025 and related Metrology Topics - Measurement Devices, Calibration and Test Laboratories

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?