Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Aerospace and Aviation Standards and Requirements > AS9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Inspection Measurement Documentation - AS9100B Clause 8.2.4.1

Wooden Line
Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 14th February 2007, 03:59 PM
wassup

Please Help! Inspection Measurement Documentation - AS9100B Clause 8.2.4.1

Hi All,

This is my first use on my own. I have previously tuned in when my colleague was viewing the forum, but now I would like to participate myself as I am an active member of our certification task force now.

I have a question concerning the AS9100B requirement that states "measurement reqt's for product...documented. ...but shall include d) type of measurement instruments required and specific instructions associated with use.

My company has very generic process sheets as we are more of a job shop and do one-offs. Our inspection record lists all of the dimensions and features from the customer print with the actual measurements. We indicate acceptance or rejection. Although we have a column for Methdo, we do not use this. At the bottom of the sheet we list the inspection tools that were used by serial number with no other descriptor. There is no direct correlation between the measurement equipment and any specific feature being measure.

The inspectors are trained in the use of the appropriate equipment as far as accuracy, etc.

We are preparing for AS9100B certification and I have mentioned that this may not satisfy the requirement. We have used this system for years and have many aerospace customers that conduct their own audits. This has never come up as an issue.

Could you please provide feedback for this? Are there any of you that have received registrar findings? I need to have some good objective evicence to take to our team leader that we have to change our system.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 14th February 2007, 05:56 PM
Jeff Frost

Re: Inspection Measurement Documentation - AS9100B Clause 8.2.4.1

This clause of the AS9100 is requiring that inspection actions must be documented. These actions may be done on a separate inspection instructions or within the body of your routers, travelers, etc. The instructions must define the criteria for acceptance and rejections through the use of dimensional characteristics, visual inspection or performance characteristics.

The instructions must define when and where the inspection is to take place within the process and a method of recording the information required in clause “a” through “d” and the type of Inspection instrument to be used.

Within my organization we use the following methods:

• Work Instruction defining “Key characteristics” to be inspected. We use tolerance rage of dimension to be inspected as the driver. We maintain a 4:1 ration during inspection and have a reference chart with list standard tolerance ranges of dimensions to be inspected. This chart then indicates the appropriate gage to be used to inspect the dimension.

• Work order routing contains inspection points such as first piece set-up, in-process inspection and final inspection along with the required sampling plan/method.

• Verification results of inspection are recorded directly on the drawing which remains with the work order package. Our work orders defines the process of manufacturing and when completed becomes our record for the process. Any test reports or process certifications are also attached to the work order.

Review your current manufacturing/service process with the eye to how they currently meet the requirement of the standard, adding those missing elements in the simplest way possible. Just be ready to explain how your manufacturing process meets each requirement of this clause to an auditor.
Sponsored Links

Old 15th February 2007, 12:17 PM
andygr

you have quoted
the AS9100B requirement that states "measurement reqt's for product...documented. ...but shall include d) type of measurement instruments required and specific instructions associated with use.

There is a key word missing from the requirement. Just before "specific" there should be the word "any".

The intent that I see from this is that if you have an inspection process that is complex enough that your inspector training program and qualification program does not suport the inspector(s) capability to consistantly perform the inspection you need to provide clear dirrection for the tools required such as a test instrument, cmm, type of Fluke meter and how to use them.

As addressed in the header para of this section of the AS spec ( para 8.2.4.1) the information can be in the process document but is not required to be there if covered somewhere else.

The intent is not to document to the nth degree that inspector that is require to measure the overall length of a part has to have an inspection plan that calles out which caliper to use and specific instruction on how to perform the measurement.
You can write detailed process planning like but I find that a ballanced approach between a good training program and process instruction works best.

Of course if you are working under the AS 9100 QA system you are also most likley compying with the FAI to AS9102 and there you do need to provide the detail of which inspection tool was used.

As always my thoughs
Old 15th February 2007, 02:39 PM
Cari Spears

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=7997

See post #8 - I received a nonconformance for just this issue - see nc #1. The attachment is how we corrected with the non-part specific measuring instruments on the process drawing.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: pdf sample process dwg w meas inst.pdf (72.8 KB, 226 views)
Old 15th February 2007, 03:02 PM
Al Rosen

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Cari Spears View Post

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=7997

See post #8 - I received a nonconformance for just this issue - see nc #1. The attachment is how we corrected with the non-part specific measuring instruments on the process drawing.

Hope this helps.
Cari, #8 appears to be a hole, but is calling for a Height Gage for the measurement.
Old 15th February 2007, 03:23 PM
Cari Spears

LOL - doesn't it figure I'd grab one with an error?
Old 15th February 2007, 03:51 PM
Al Rosen

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Cari Spears View Post

LOL - doesn't it figure I'd grab one with an error?
$h1t happens
Old 16th February 2007, 10:04 AM
wassup

Dear All,

Thank you all for your advice. I like your approach Cari, but since our jobs are generally small lots; can be 1 piece and the drawing belongs to the customer, we wouldn't want to use the drawing to identify the inspection device.

I think the general chart for usage based on tolerance might be feasible for us because it gives the inspector the flexibility to use any device that is appropriate for the feature.

I also feel that our training records would show that the inspectors have the experience to decide on the correct device and that its effectiveness could be assessed by observation of practice.

So do you think even though we have column for method on our form that is not filled out, the assessor will not have an issue with this? And does it seem satsifactory just to list a device serial number rather than a description?

Darla

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Aerospace and Aviation Standards and Requirements > AS9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?