The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
cleanroom, cleanroom classification

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26th March 2007, 05:55 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jun 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 42
celon has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! IC ISO Cleanroom Classification - ISO Class 7 (10k), ISO Class 8 (100K), ISO Class 9

Is there an existing study or detailed recommendation on what cleanroom classification is desirable or sufficient for a specific field of application? We're a semiconductor test facility. We test IC's (electrical and mechanical) of various package configurations, we also test wafers. Our wafer test facility is currently an ISO class 7 (10k) cleanroom. Our Test facility for packaged IC's is ISO Class 8(100K). This is the way it is since 10 years ago (though previously, classification was of FED 209). I am looking for specific risks to product quality or process operation should my facility cleanliness go beyond classification limits. Wouldn't ISO class 8 be sufficient for wafer testing? or ISO Class 9 for packaged IC testing?

Sponsored Links
Old 29th March 2007, 10:39 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jan 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 4
Karma Power: 40
jeffrey_Chang is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.jeffrey_Chang is appreciated, and has over 100 Karma points.
Re: IC ISO Cleanroom Classification - ISO Class 7 (10k), ISO Class 8 (100K), ISO Clas

The classification of air cleanliness is very simple as the class equates to the number of particles per cubic foot of air equal to or greater than 0.5µ (micron). I have attached a simple matrix that details the particles per cubic foot of air with particle size from 0.1µ to 5µ for class 1 to 100K.

In the microelectronics industry, we are concern with static as well as contaminations caused by particles, fibers and electrostatic charges where it will cause malfunction of the product.

A clean room can be divided into critical and general area. The critical area near the point of production where contamination can cause direct contact with the process and products. The critical area will often need to be protected by localised laminar flow.
The general area is the rest of the clean room where contamination will not have direct contact to the products but should be kept clean because of the transfer of contamination into the critical area.

My company also provides modules and wafer testing services to the industry. The clean room class we have for modules testing is at 100K 0.5µ and wafer test is set to class 10K 0.5µ but for wafer test, there are some specific requirements from our customer where they required the area surrounding the probers, transfer tools and scanners to be at class 1K 0.5µ. Note the critical and general area mentioned above to serve as a guideline.

The clean room class to follow will depend very much on the code of practise in your company as well as the product or services requirements.

thks.
jeffrey.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: doc particle.doc (22.5 KB, 449 views)
Thank You to jeffrey_Chang for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 26th April 2007, 05:54 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Jun 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 42
celon has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: IC ISO Cleanroom Classification - ISO Class 7 (10k), ISO Class 8 (100K), ISO Clas

thanks Jeff, i've been browsing for industry practices and came across these IEST RP's... i'll try if we could purchase the docs so that I could have some baseline
Old 26th April 2007, 06:08 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 36
Karma Power: 37
gereard_kgb has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Jerrey,
On thing:
the classification is based on particles content in cubic FOOT or METERS???

I was sure this were meter...

The matrix you supplier - is there any standard that it is based on or this is rather general approach?

Old 26th April 2007, 07:40 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Dec 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,759
Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,677 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by gereard_kgb View Post

Jerrey,
On thing:
the classification is based on particles content in cubic FOOT or METERS???

I was sure this were meter...

The matrix you supplier - is there any standard that it is based on or this is rather general approach?

Hi Gereard,

Classification can be done based on both cubic feet and cubic meters. Refer the attachment, where I have pasted the values for both.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: doc Airborne cleanliness.doc (30.5 KB, 405 views)

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you haveMaya Angelou
Thank You to Ajit Basrur for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 26th April 2007, 07:47 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Mar 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 36
Karma Power: 37
gereard_kgb has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Thanks Qualityalways,
You're details as usually.

I checked EN ISO 14644-1 standard and counted cubic meters for cubic feet - now everything seams to be adding up...

Old 26th April 2007, 08:45 AM
Email Address Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Dec 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 0
Eric York - 2010 has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Celon,
I'm not a packaging expert so this response is more anecdotal in nature than anything else. Your cleanroom classes are in line with what I have seen at sites both within my company and at several assy/test subcontractors. A couple of risks (although I do not know what the real probabilities are...) are enough "gunk" collecting in the bond pads to prevent good bonds, and shorts between bond pads. It seems to me that if you are assembling products with very small, closely spaced pads, class 100k at wafer test could be asking for trouble.

Also, in my experience, a real problem that can arise with class 10k or class 100k cleanrooms is a lack of adherence to protocol by the personnel. This can create a much greater risk to product that is not formally tied to whether the cleanroom conforms to it's particle spec, but it seems to occasionally arise nevertheless.

Eric
Old 26th April 2007, 12:18 PM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Dec 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,759
Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,677 Posts
Karma Power: 400
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Ajit Basrur is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by gereard_kgb View Post

Thanks Qualityalways,
You're details as usually.

I checked EN ISO 14644-1 standard and counted cubic meters for cubic feet - now everything seams to be adding up...

My pleasure

Cleanrooms and related topics are my favourite and I enjoy writing on it.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you haveMaya Angelou

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?