The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2007, 03:28 PM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 173
Karma Power: 292
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Please Help! Root Sum Square and Statistical Tolerancing help needed

A customer told us that they are accepting of RSS when developing tolerances.
I've never heard of it until today.
Googled, found some equations, found some papers on the internet, dug around here for some threads but I'm still not entirely sure how it works.

Does anyone have a real life example of RSS method?

thanks.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile

Sponsored Links
Old 2nd May 2007, 03:52 PM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Dec 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 89
Karma Power: 68
Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.
Re: a little Root Sum Square and Statistical tolerancing help?

Haven't seen this applied myself but a quick search turned up this article, quite interesting I thought:

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oce/llis/0713.html
Thanks to Benjamin28 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd May 2007, 03:54 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jun 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 61
Karma Power: 57
Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.

Here is another article an Engineer told me about.

http://www.variation.com/techlib/ta-2full.html

"I am like any other man. All I do is supply a demand." -Al Capone
Thanks to Frank T. for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 2nd May 2007, 04:02 PM
Deming Disciple

Registration Date: Feb 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 189
Thanked 1,296 Times in 710 Posts
Karma Power: 293
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Discordian View Post

A customer told us that they are accepting of RSS when developing tolerances.
I've never heard of it until today.
Googled, found some equations, found some papers on the internet, dug around here for some threads but I'm still not entirely sure how it works.

Does anyone have a real life example of RSS method?

thanks.
I have a training example I use for the red bead experiment. Split the paddle into two halves, and count each half as two different sources of variation. If you average 10 red beads for the whole paddle, each half will average 5 red beads. If we assume the number of red beads in the paddle is Poisson (or you can physically do this and calculate the standard deviations), the standard deviation for each half is the square root of 5.

Let's add the two numbers together. We should average 10 with a square root of 10 as the standard deviation. Indeed, if I add the square of the square root of 5 (which is 5) to the square of the square root of 5 (which also is 5), I get 5 + 5 = 10. I then take the square root of 10 and indeed get the expected answer.

Steve Prevette
"A Passionate Statistician", ASQ CQE, ASQ Fellow
Thank You to Steve Prevette for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 2nd May 2007, 10:18 PM
Involved - Posts

Registration Date: Feb 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 2
Karma Power: 71
Paul F. Jackson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Paul F. Jackson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Paul F. Jackson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Paul F. Jackson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Paul F. Jackson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Paul F. Jackson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.Paul F. Jackson is appreciated, and has over 700 Karma points.

Linear tolerance stacks typically are performed to verify critical clearences/interferences using a RSS value of the stacked tolerances involved but that value is typically multiplied by 1.5 (Thanks to Mr. Bender).
He wrote an SAE paper in the 60's that advised a safety factor of 1.5*RSS to predict critical stacked tolerance values.

With the modern emphasis on +/-4 or +/-5 sigma statistical capability of the individual tolerance contributors to those stacks some have abandoned the traditional safety 1.5 factor which would set the stacked value at +/-4.5sigma.

Paul
Old 19th November 2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Feb 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 3
Karma Power: 40
Chitchat has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: Root Sum Square and Statistical tolerancing help needed

Is RSS the correct method for combining the calibration tolerances of two similar pieces of equipment for comparison purposes?

For example, we use an IR camera to measure the temperature of the laser beam. In order to verify the correct operation of the IR camera, the laser is set to 200 degrees and a second IR camera is aimed in the path of the laser beam and the readings from both cameras compared. If the IR camera has a calibration accuracy of ±3 degrees, what is the acceptable error in order to verify the correct operation of the IR camera? Given that the RSS would be 4.24, is 200 ±4.24 correct?

Thanks!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?