The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
total variation, definitions, variation (measurement), processes (general), differences (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16th July 2007, 12:16 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Aug 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 33
9876543219 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Question Process Variation and Total Variation - Relationship and Definitions

hi,everyone ,who could show me the correlation of process variation and total variation ,and what's the definition of process variation thank you

Last edited by 9876543219; 16th July 2007 at 01:12 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old 16th July 2007, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Sep 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,501
Thanked 2,981 Times in 2,067 Posts
Karma Power: 701
harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.harry is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: the relation between process variation and total variation

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by 9876543219 View Post

hi,everyone ,who could show me the correlation of process variation and total variation ,and what's the definition of process variation thank you
Welcome my friend. I noticed that you are already searching for information on your own - that's very good.

Pending replies from fellow Covers who are well versed in this subject, perhaps you would like to look at this thread and other links contain therein.

Have a good time here.
Sponsored Links

Old 16th July 2007, 01:30 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Apr 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 603
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,304 Posts
Karma Power: 439
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Relationship between Process Variation and Total Variation

Quote:

[StdDev(total variation)]^2 = [StdDev(process variation)]^2 + [StdDev(repeatability)]^2 + [StdDev(reproducibility)]^2 + ...

^2 means "squared"
StdDev(xxxxxx) means the standard deviation of (xxxxxx)

Standard deviations cannot be added, the variance (StdDev^2) can be added.

I have seen PT variously interpreted as Part Variation or Process Variation. It is the variation of the parts used in the MSA. Ideally, the variation of these Parts equals the variation of the Process that they came from, so Part Variation should equal Process Variation.

"A fool can learn from his own experiences; the wise learn from the experience of others." - Democritus, 460-370 B.C.
Old 17th July 2007, 12:16 AM

fisrt of all ,i getta say thanks to you all moderators for your replies ,your answers has kind of enlightened me .
yeah, that's what got me confused ,i don't know the exact formula for Total variation , so is the total variation equal to the sum of the three items ,and what does the dots behind mean? is there any more items shall be added to the previous ones ?

and from your words i feel may be in some situation the part variation is not equal to process variation ....right ,so that's the key problem casting me into confusion ......
is that all that i should concern ,i mean the total variation = deviation from process +deviation from measurement system ? and the process variation ideally equals part variation (sometimes at least we should consider the effects from ambience right ?) and the measurement system consists of only two parts : repeatability and reproducibility ?

i appreciate very much ..........
Old 17th July 2007, 03:15 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Feb 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 301
Karma Power: 107
antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.antoine.dias is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Skype™ to antoine.dias

In the MSA study it is best that parts chosen for the study represent the process.
Keeping this in mind it is very important how you collect the samples for the study.
Like Miner said the variation of the chosen parts should represent the process variation.
A lot of mistakes are made when samples are collected and people just grab 10 pcs from the machine shop to be used in the study. Result is: not enough variation in the parts, resulting in high percentage of EV and AV in relation to the calculated TV together with a very low ndc.

So take care to choose the right samples.

Best regards,

Antoine
Old 17th July 2007, 07:39 AM
Forum Moderator

Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Miner is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:

fisrt of all ,i getta say thanks to you all moderators for your replies ,your answers has kind of enlightened me .
yeah, that's what got me confused ,i don't know the exact formula for Total variation , so is the total variation equal to the sum of the three items ,and what does the dots behind mean? is there any more items shall be added to the previous ones ?

and from your words i feel may be in some situation the part variation is not equal to process variation ....right ,so that's the key problem casting me into confusion ......
is that all that i should concern ,i mean the total variation = deviation from process +deviation from measurement system ? and the process variation ideally equals part variation (sometimes at least we should consider the effects from ambience right ?) and the measurement system consists of only two parts : repeatability and reproducibility ?

i appreciate very much ..........
The dots mean that there are other terms that might be added if significant such as an operator x part interaction. This sometimes is a significant part of measurement error, but not always. The ANOVA method breaks it out separately, and the Range method includes it in Repeatability.

The post after your question about part and process variation aswered this nicely.

The measurement system also includes Bias, Linearity and Stability, which includes the effects of ambient conditions.

"A fool can learn from his own experiences; the wise learn from the experience of others." - Democritus, 460-370 B.C.
Old 24th July 2007, 01:56 AM

Let Me Help You Re: Relationship between Process Variation and Total Variation

hi miner ,today i get the formula in MSA handbookTV= process variation/6 (page 116 of MSA manual)as you've listed a formua quoting : [StdDev(total variation)]^2 = [StdDev(process variation)]^2 + [StdDev(repeatability)]^2 + [StdDev(reproducibility)]^2 + ...
so don't you think these two are kind of contradictory of each other
i am new in this field , and easy to get confused ...... thank you

Last edited by 9876543219; 24th July 2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 24th July 2007, 09:41 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:

hi miner ,today i get the formula in MSA handbookTV= process variation/6 (page 116 of MSA manual)as you've listed a formua quoting : [StdDev(total variation)]^2 = [StdDev(process variation)]^2 + [StdDev(repeatability)]^2 + [StdDev(reproducibility)]^2 + ...
so don't you think these two are kind of contradictory of each other
i am new in this field , and easy to get confused ...... thank you
These equations are not really in disagreement. The MSA process actually calculates these various components separately, so that you do not see the equation that I provided at one time. However, the MSA calculations are indeed based on this formula.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > ISO (International Organization for Standardization) Standards > ISO 17025 - General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories > Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?