Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Old 23rd August 2007, 09:12 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Dec 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 89
Karma Power: 70
Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.
I Say... Effect of Inept Leadership and Mismanagement on an Organization

I was having a conversation...turned argument...the other day with a colleague. The question put forth was whether a business organization can succeed if top management is inept. My initial reaction is no, never going to happen. My friends stance was that it is highly possible depending on the caliber of talent in the operational staff. I was willing to concede that it is possible, if you have great talent in your staff but inept managment, for a business to survive, but I can't see any business really being successful if top management is chasing its own tail.

Well, anyway, I was looking for an example of mismanagement, just something to underscore my perspective on how poor top management can really cause a company to fall into a downward spiral and I found the story of Sigil Games, which I find to be quite fascinating. It's older news but if you have not read it before, it makes for an interesting read. I just find it amazing that you can gather so many talented folks together and end up with such a mess.

The short version...Sigil began developing an online game with the financial backing of Microsoft and some of the finest talent in the genre of online gaming. Due to gross mismanagement the company spent the first 4 years or so developing portions of a game but no real functional product. At this time Microsoft dumped the project as a lost cause, and SOE scooped it up and set a release deadline. The staff then broke their butts for a year, working long shifts every day, to develop a semi-functional product at release (what most gamers describe as a steaming pile of error ridden poo). Shortly after release, the entire staff was brought out to the parking lot and fired, by a production manager, the ceo wasn't even present. Allegedly he was never in the office the final year the business was operating.

One funny thing, during the intitial years of development of this game there was only 1 quality assurance tester. How in gods name would you expect one person to check that much code, and I wonder what his daily job was like.

Anyway, the story of this company just amazed me and I figured I'd put it up here to see what you all think of it. Below are links to two interviews, one with a staff member of sigil, and another with the CEO, two different perspectives on a very strange business debacle, and as I said, an interesting read.

http://www.f13.net/?itemid=562

http://www.f13.net/index.php?itemid=561

"Don't Tell Me the Sky is the Limit . . . . . . There Are Footprints on the Moon".

Sponsored Links
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:40 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Sep 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,424
Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,344 Posts
Karma Power: 400
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Inept Leadership and Mismanagement

I have, will, and will always maintain that for an organization to be effective, they must have competent management and leadership.

Many times in an organization, we wished we had freedoms to do as we see fit. Or... if I were boss, we would do...... I would surmise that both of these scenarios quickly dissolve into a quest for some semblance of leadership and wisdom. When I was a teenager, I was for sure my parents did not know anything. Funny how now I call my dad all the time for advice.

Any organization can compile all the best resources, talent, etc., but without leadership to guide the process, keep the process lean, and beat the competition doing it, mediocrity will rule at best.

And oh, as a subset of this thought... read through all the posts on failed quality systems (or failed anything) and see how many times upper management is held responsible.

If you appreciate The Cove, please consider contributing: http://elsmar.com/subscribe.html
Sponsored Links

Old 23rd August 2007, 09:52 AM
Deming Disciple

Registration Date: Feb 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 197
Thanked 1,383 Times in 754 Posts
Karma Power: 309
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Steve Prevette is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Sometimes I wonder if there isn't a "Hogans Heroes" element to management. That was an old TV show where the prisoners of a prison camp got away with all sorts of things while an inept German officer (Colonel Klink) ran the camp. In fact, the prisoners went to great links to make the Klink look good so he stayed on the job.

Steve Prevette
"A Passionate Statistician", ASQ CQE, ASQ Fellow
Thanks to Steve Prevette for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,213
Thanked 4,563 Times in 3,234 Posts
Karma Power: 1563
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Steve Prevette View Post

Sometimes I wonder if there isn't a "Hogans Heroes" element to management. That was an old TV show where the prisoners of a prison camp got away with all sorts of things while an inept German officer (Colonel Klink) ran the camp. In fact, the prisoners went to great links to make the Klink look good so he stayed on the job.
Hello Steve,

I believe that the "mushroom theory" applies upstream and downstream.
Many times, the top person is also "kept in the dark and fed sh*t."
The top person is surrounded with yesmen who all have a vested interest in the status quo. Examples? Look at the news......

Stijloor.
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:05 AM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 177
Karma Power: 297
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Let's separate management and leadership.

I think a company can survive without leadership. I was in such a company at one time. There was no leadership at the executive level. The CEO was prone to hissy fits and clearly played favorites - and the VPs were always jockeying for the favorite son spot.
But they were pretty good, if sometimes harsh, managers.
The company was always in the black and profitable enough to pay out some decent profit sharing.
But their growth was strictly through acquisition, not actually increasing efficiency in the existing plants or driving into new markets.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:10 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,051
Thanked 6,002 Times in 3,821 Posts
Karma Power: 1532
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Benjamin28 View Post

I was having a conversation...turned argument...the other day with a colleague. The question put forth was whether a business organization can succeed if top management is inept. My initial reaction is no, never going to happen. My friends stance was that it is highly possible depending on the caliber of talent in the operational staff. I was willing to concede that it is possible, if you have great talent in your staff but inept managment, for a business to survive, but I can't see any business really being successful if top management is chasing its own tail.
The problem is that your argument assumes its own conclusion, I think. If "inept" is defined as having a propensity to ruin the business, then you're certainly (and obviously) correct.

But I think there are degrees of ineptitude, and until the point of critical mass is reached, a business can attain some measure of success with a top manager who's not tightly wrapped. One of the measures of competence, though, is selecting competent underlings, delegating authority, and letting them do their jobs. If a CEO can't do that, then success will be hard to find.

A while back I started a thread about an article about the idea that the same deficiencies that create incompetence also prevent people from being aware of being incompetent. It's an interesting read, and relevant here.

In the end, what's most often described as lack of competence manifests itself as lack of leadership skills, and while a dearth of leadership might allow for short-term gains, it almost always ends with failure.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thank You to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:25 AM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Sep 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,424
Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,344 Posts
Karma Power: 400
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Steve Prevette View Post

Yes, that one is a thread to itelf; classic study of subterfuge. It also reminds me of first seasons of M.A.S.H. where Colonel Blake was projected mostly as inept, with the camp being ran by Radar. Also, the doctors could do anything they wanted. But, is effective management not also about delegation, to an extent? Does it matter who gets things done, just as long as they get it done?

If you appreciate The Cove, please consider contributing: http://elsmar.com/subscribe.html
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:32 AM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,435
Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,822 Posts
Karma Power: 655
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Great discussion, but the auditor in me looked for the original question: "...whether a business organization can succeed if top management is inept."

The operative words are "can" and "succeed", both of which are viewable in infinite shades of gray depending on qualifications of "can" and expectations of success.

Yes, it is possible succeed to survive: if __XYZ__. There are a lot of if's; just fill in the blank and keep going until you're sleepy or too agitated to continue.

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow
Thanks to Jennifer Kirley for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Elsmar Cove Forum Community Forums > Community Discussion Topics > Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?