Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki Sitemap More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar Cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Career and Occupation Discussions
Forum Username

Wooden Line

Using the Predictive Index for Job Candidates - Page 2

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
job interviews, jobs (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 8th August 2008, 04:59 PM
Kevin H

Total Posts: 489
Re: Using the Predictive Index for Job Candidates - Your Thoughts?

Wes, there were some other issues affecting the move back - wife more reluctant to move than originally stated, and an estate in disarray that needed to be settled. I could definitely have done a better job of vetting the company, but set aside my natural skepticsm for a change and decided to trust statements instead of looking for details. Any future changes will be looked at in a more Reaganesqe manner - i.e., trust, but verify.

About 1 week after accepting the offer to return to my prior employer, I received a call from 1 of the other leads I had been pursuing in the same area indicating they were ready to move ahead with interviews now and were very interested in talking with me - due to the recent return to emplyment I regretfully declined that opportunity.

Having a job isn't a major issue - the degree in Metallurgy from a major university and years of diversified experience mean I'm in somewhat of a demand right now. I'm more interested in having an interesting job and being able to contribute to the organization's success - something that applies with my current employer.
Thanks to Kevin H for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 8th August 2008, 05:15 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 10,982

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Kevin H View Post

Wes, there were some other issues affecting the move back - wife more reluctant to move than originally stated, and an estate in disarray that needed to be settled. I could definitely have done a better job of vetting the company, but set aside my natural skepticsm for a change and decided to trust statements instead of looking for details. Any future changes will be looked at in a more Reaganesqe manner - i.e., trust, but verify.

About 1 week after accepting the offer to return to my prior employer, I received a call from 1 of the other leads I had been pursuing in the same area indicating they were ready to move ahead with interviews now and were very interested in talking with me - due to the recent return to emplyment I regretfully declined that opportunity.

Having a job isn't a major issue - the degree in Metallurgy from a major university and years of diversified experience mean I'm in somewhat of a demand right now. I'm more interested in having an interesting job and being able to contribute to the organization's success - something that applies with my current employer.
I apologize!

Only after re-reading my post did I realize it read like a personal accusation. I did not intend it to be. I have added a bracketed phrase "[any of you readers out there]" to try to indicate it is a general comment addressed to ANYONE who is now in, or may join, the job hunt.
Sponsored Links

Post Number #11  
Old 17th May 2010, 10:00 AM
SteveWaterhouse

Total Posts: 2

I just had a discussion with a client about his applicants. He agreed that too few applicants have any idea what type of job they are applying for. How sad. While I believe that assessments like Predictive Index ® are critical to the hiring process, I also wonder why employers are not doing a better job of filtering onother criteria. If the candidate can't tell you a little about your company and the position they think they want, it might be a good signal that they won't do their homework on the job, either.

Steve Waterhouse
predictiveresults.com
  Post Number #12  
Old 17th May 2010, 02:07 PM
Wes Bucey

Total Posts: 10,982

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by SteveWaterhouse View Post

I just had a discussion with a client about his applicants. He agreed that too few applicants have any idea what type of job they are applying for. How sad. While I believe that assessments like Predictive Index ® are critical to the hiring process, I also wonder why employers are not doing a better job of filtering onother criteria. If the candidate can't tell you a little about your company and the position they think they want, it might be a good signal that they won't do their homework on the job, either.

Steve Waterhouse
predictiveresults.com
Steve, I welcome your insight about the predictive tests themselves, but I sense you have a blind spot about the shortcomings of many of the executives who choose to use your test (or any other similar test.)

I can tell you truthfully that in over 40 years as an executive in American business, I can count on one hand the number of executives who, as you wrote in an earlier comment in this thread, would use the results of the PI test to try to place the candidate in a position different from the one for which he applied
Quote:
PI is designed to find people who will be productive and happy in a particular job. Companies often look at the PI of applicants and refer them to other positions that may not have been posted.
Many executives may make a determination that a candidate's resume and cover letter might fit him for a different position (whether in rank or department), but I fear meeting the executive who would make such a determination based on the results of a PI test. (Have you ever seen the movie, Gattaca, where the person's job placement and rank were based on DNA analysis? It's a scary worst case scenario of "predictive ability" gone wild.) The PI test is no substitute for a resume and cover letter demonstrating the value a candidate may have for a specific job opening.

It would be economically unfeasible for potential employers to have a skilled psychologist on staff or on call to interpret the results of such tests and even then, there would have to be a counseling interview to determine the candidate's receptiveness to such "pigeon holing." To have a mere untrained staffer making such determinations from a "cheat sheet" provided by the test provider is really quite beyond the pale of human decency.

Even independent recruiters who think they have a great candidate and stand to make a big commission on placing the candidate in a high-paying position cannot afford the time, energy, and resources to figure out what position a candidate would really be best in.

Organizations which purport, for a fee, to administer PI and myriad other tests to help a client/candidate find his "true calling" more often have no better luck placing such candidate in a position where he is truly happy and productive than pure random luck.

Worst of all, in my opinion, a number of organizations which use PI testing for candidates are showing an innate distrust of the candidate when they attempt to use such a subtle test to determine if what the candidate writes and says about his aptitude and attitude are really true.
  Post Number #13  
Old 4th August 2010, 09:47 PM
Idiocracy

Total Posts: 1

Hi there Kevin H! Do you, or anyone else, still have access to the Predictive Index worksheets? The link appears to be dead. Thanks!
  Post Number #14  
Old 4th August 2010, 10:41 PM
Stijloor

Total Posts: 14,703

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Idiocracy View Post

Hi there Kevin H! Do you, or anyone else, still have access to the Predictive Index worksheets? The link appears to be dead. Thanks!
Link no longer active and removed.

Stijloor.
  Post Number #15  
Old 6th August 2010, 09:15 AM
Kevin H

Total Posts: 489
Re: Using the Predictive Index for Job Candidates

Hello, no links with the PI index work sheets and no more brushes with the index since my last encounter. back in 2007/2008 time frame. The only way I'd find anything more is by doing a search on google or another search engine.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Professional Employment and Occupation Related > Career and Occupation Discussions

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?