The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics > AQL - Acceptable Quality Level
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 13th December 2007, 04:03 PM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 27
Karma Power: 37
tahashamim has less than 100 Karma points so far.
What is AQL, Inspection Level, and Type of Inspection

Dear All,

I was going through "sqconline" website and it is asking for Inspection Level, AQL, and Type of Inspection. Can someone please walk me through with a practical example.

Such as what is the difference among reduce, normal, and tightened inspection type and what is the difference among difference levels and how should we intend to bring them in practice...

By the way, we are contract electronic assembly manufacturer and we have 100% final inspection. Before these assembeled boards get to final inspeciton, some of them also get functional test and go through "AOI - Automated Optical Inspection" for some defects, such as damaged components, wrong polarity, wrong components, missed components.

Generally the steps are as follows,

1- SMT (Electronic machine that places components and solder them)
2- Visual inspeciton on boards by quality inspector. (May go to AOI)
3- Through Hole (Manual placement of components on board
4- Wave soldering
5- Post Wave visual inspeciton
6- Manual Assembly
7- 100% Visual Inspection

So we would like to reduce this final 100% inspection. Any help. I am sure you all gurus will probably have more questions, so please feel free to ask so I can get all the help I can.

By the way, I went through this website whole day yesterday to find what I was looking for and did not really find what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Taha.

Sponsored Links
Old 18th December 2007, 11:42 PM
Forum Administrator

Registration Date: Sep 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,407
Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,327 Posts
Karma Power: 400
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.BradM is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: What is AQL, Inspection Level, and Type of Inspection

Taha, I am very sorry that I let your post go without a response! We sure are glad that you dropped by the Cove here for your question.

As far as reduced, normal, and tightened inspection-that is related to the failures detected in your inspection process. Assume you start at normal inspection. After your inspect several times, you find that your inspections repeatedly pass under the inspection plan that you have in-place. Thus, your process is in control, and the inspection plan can be relaxed. You can continue on the reduced inspection, until there is a failure (under the plan). Then you proceed back to normal. If there is a failure under normal, then chances are high that something has changed in your process, and closer monitoring is in order. Thus, under tightened inspection, the inspection is held to a tighter requirement than the other two. If under the tightened you have repeated passes, you can return to normal, and so on. You can write three dots beside each other, and draw an "eight" shape among the three showing the inspection-plan path.

If you appreciate The Cove, please consider contributing: http://elsmar.com/subscribe.html
Thanks to BradM for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 20th December 2007, 10:16 AM
Involved in Discussions

Thank you Brad,

I am actullay trying to find out the difference among Reduce, Normal, and Tightened inspection levels etc.

Can you or someone else give me an example from their industry or company? For example if a part has to be inspected for its length, width, and height, how will normal, reduce, and tightened inspection level play the role?

Consider me as a layman in quality and explain me with examples as we explain children...lol

Thanks,
Taha.
Old 20th December 2007, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,192
Thanked 4,526 Times in 3,207 Posts
Karma Power: 1548
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by tahashamim View Post

Thank you Brad,

I am actullay trying to find out the difference among Reduce, Normal, and Tightened inspection levels etc.

Can you or someone else give me an example from their industry or company?
Could this be of help? (From a furniture manufacturers group site.)

Stijloor.
Thank You to Stijloor for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 20th December 2007, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Aug 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,261
Karma Power: 150
GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to GStough Send a message via Skype™ to GStough

Quote:

Thank you Brad,

Can you or someone else give me an example from their industry or company? For example if a part has to be inspected for its length, width, and height, how will normal, reduce, and tightened inspection level play the role?

Consider me as a layman in quality and explain me with examples as we explain children...lol

Thanks,
Taha.
Hi Taha and welcome to the Cove!

Here is an example from my previous place of employment:

We received raw materials from approved suppliers, which we inspected upon arrival. When using a new suppier, we began inspection of goods with the normal inspection plan. After having inspected a certain number of shipments which met the AQL of the normal inspection plan, we then moved that supplier to a reduced inspection plan, which meant that we would inspect fewer samples with each shipment we received. However, if a problem was found with the raw materials when we used the reduced inspection plan, then we moved this supplier to the tightened inspection plan. This means that we inspected a greater number of samples than we originally had with the normal inspection plan. When the supplier pulled the quality back into line and the number of defects found decreased, then we would move them to the normal inspection plan again. This cycle would continue throughout the whole period of time that we used this supplier.

I know this is rather lengthy, but I hope it helps illustrate how these inspection plans are used.

Gidget Stough, ASQ CQA
"It's easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn't." - Martin Van Buren
Thanks to GStough for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 20th December 2007, 10:54 AM
Involved in Discussions

Thanks to both Stijloor and GStough,

I am reading what Stijloor has sent the link for and on GStough post, it would mean that reduced, tightened, and normal inspection type means the quantity of samples and has nothing to do with the attributes of a material.

Now whats up with "Inspection Levels"?

By the way thanks to all who have responded and who have read it.

Thanks,
Taha
Old 20th December 2007, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Aug 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 1,261
Karma Power: 150
GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.GStough is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Send a message via Yahoo to GStough Send a message via Skype™ to GStough

Quote:

Thanks to both Stijloor and GStough,

I am reading what Stijloor has sent the link for and on GStough post, it would mean that reduced, tightened, and normal inspection type means the quantity of samples and has nothing to do with the attributes of a material.

Now whats up with "Inspection Levels"?

By the way thanks to all who have responded and who have read it.

Thanks,
Taha
Yes, Taha, reduced, tightened and normal (as well as skip-lot and other types) all relate to the quantity of samples inspected and have nothing to do with the attributes of the material - this is something that should be in your specifications for the material.

Hang in there and keep plugging away at it. You're doing great!

Gidget Stough, ASQ CQA
"It's easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn't." - Martin Van Buren
Old 20th December 2007, 11:09 AM
Inactive Registered Visitor

Registration Date: Dec 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 89
Karma Power: 70
Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.Benjamin28 is appreciated, and has over 900 Karma points.

Here is a relatively simple explanation of it...

http://www.aqlinspectorsrule.com/manual/levels.html

As to anyone pursuing sampling programs I would suggest some training or thorough self education. Sampling plans can get tricky and it's best to be very familiar with them before you try to apply them to your operation.

"Don't Tell Me the Sky is the Limit . . . . . . There Are Footprints on the Moon".
Thank You to Benjamin28 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics > AQL - Acceptable Quality Level

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?