The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog   Elsmar.com Forum Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2008, 10:21 PM
D.Salman

Please Help! The Difference between a Document and a Record - Training Plan

Dear all,
I am a bit confused about the difference between document and record within ISO 9001:2000.
Let us suppose I have a training plan, can we consider the plan as a document and the approved letter of it as record?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 2nd March 2008, 11:42 PM
Marc

Re: The Difference between a Document and a Record - ISO 9001:2000

What do you mean by "the approved letter of it"?
Sponsored Links

Old 3rd March 2008, 01:03 AM
Wes Bucey

Re: The Difference between a Document and a Record - ISO 9001:2000

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Marc View Post

What do you mean by "the approved letter of it"?
I gather the OP intends approved "revision letter."

Here's the skinny: we talk about documents and records in lots of places throughout the Cove. Using search functions will turn up literally hundreds of posts and almost all of them will agree that a record is merely a special kind of document which is the "history" of an activity.

Most historians will agree history is unchangeable (although it may be "updated") and therefore records are unchangeable (no "versions" of records.)

In general, any document which is not a record is a plan for an activity. (Blueprints are plans for the activity of making a product.) Circumstances may change and thus plans may change and so most documents may be revised. Generally, the previous plan is "withdrawn" and the new version takes its place.

Timetables for retention and or destruction of documents and records are dictated by
  • need
  • government regulation
  • contract requirement
and constitute a specialty within the general field of document management.
Thank You to Wes Bucey for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:24 AM
Umang Vidyarthi

Yin Yang Re: The Difference between a Document and a Record - Training Plan

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by D.Salman View Post

Dear all,
I am a bit confused about the difference between document and record within ISO 9001:2000.
Let us suppose I have a training plan, can we consider the plan as a document and the approved letter of it as record?
Many thanks
Hello Salman,

A document is used to record something,and history of the document is a record.Before becoming history,the document may be revised/changed/modified.

There was a similar discussion on another thread:Form vs Record.:

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread....en+form+record

I would suggest to merge the two threads to avoid duplication.

/Umang
Old 3rd March 2008, 08:08 AM
aqhjess

Re: The Difference between a Document and a Record - Training Plan

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by D.Salman View Post

Dear all,
Many thanks
for the person that has responsibility to prepare the plan. after having done his task, that plan is his record.
for the people have to take action in that plan, that plan is document.
hope to help you.
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:21 PM
Raffy

I Say... Re: The Difference between a Document and a Record - Training Plan

Hi
When you say a document it is may composed of the following, your Quality Manual, Procedures, Work which is used to control the process that affects the quality of the final product. While a record states the results achieved or providing evidence of activities performed.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy
Old 22nd March 2008, 09:20 AM
rod2004sa

The reference of two documents (Training Plan and its approval) you have given is a document and the outcome of this document will call record i.e. training record which shows that as per plan, training was provided and evaluated accordingly.
Old 22nd March 2008, 09:37 AM
Helmut Jilling

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Raffy View Post

Hi
When you say a document it is may composed of the following, your Quality Manual, Procedures, Work which is used to control the process that affects the quality of the final product. While a record states the results achieved or providing evidence of activities performed.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Raffy
Please don't limit your thinking of documents to those "that affect the quality of the final product." Documents can be of any type, especially in the supporting processes. Otherwise I agree with your description.

Records are also documents where we recorded the results of something -a training event, inspection results, internal audit notes, corrective action, etc.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Documentation Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?