The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
microsoft excel .xls .xlsx spreadsheet

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 10th March 2008, 07:28 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Mar 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 25
DiGiMac has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Writing the symbol for X bar in Excel?

What technique do *you* use for putting single or double bars over letters in Excel ? Do you:
- use MS Equation Editor
- insert little lines over each and every occurence

From the sample sheets I've seen most people, like me, draw the lines. But positioning is fiddly and as soon as you change formatting things go wierd.
I've found Equation Editor is workable in Word but just clumsy in Excel.

Does anyone know of a ttf font that includes these characters ? That would make everything easier.

Sponsored Links
Old 10th March 2008, 08:15 AM
Not out of the crisis

Registration Date: Apr 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 173
Karma Power: 292
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Writing X bar in Excel ?

I don't.

I think it's too much effort for too little gain.

I type out "x-bar". It's only 5 key strokes versus screwing around with formatting for an hour.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Thanks to ScottK for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Old 10th March 2008, 08:57 AM
Involved in Discussions

Registration Date: Jun 2006

Thanks Given to Others: 61
Karma Power: 57
Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.Frank T. is appreciated, and has over 1300 Karma points.

I use Equation Editor in excel and have never had a problem, as for a font that includes these characters don't know of any.

"I am like any other man. All I do is supply a demand." -Al Capone
Old 10th March 2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2001

Thanks Given to Others: 575
Thanked 1,387 Times in 847 Posts
Karma Power: 495
SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.SteelMaiden is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Writing the symbol for X bar in Excel?

I do the same as Scott.

"It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how", Dr. Seuss
Man may have invented fire, it took a woman to learn how to play with it.
Old 10th March 2008, 01:16 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,989
Thanked 5,848 Times in 3,735 Posts
Karma Power: 1510
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by DiGiMac View Post

What technique do *you* use for putting single or double bars over letters in Excel ? Do you:
- use MS Equation Editor
- insert little lines over each and every occurence

From the sample sheets I've seen most people, like me, draw the lines. But positioning is fiddly and as soon as you change formatting things go wierd.
I've found Equation Editor is workable in Word but just clumsy in Excel.

Does anyone know of a ttf font that includes these characters ? That would make everything easier.
There are Windows fonts available for what you're looking for, such as this one. Not an endorsement, just a suggestion.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 10th March 2008, 01:21 PM
Not out of the crisis

Thanks Given to Others: 173
Karma Power: 292
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.ScottK is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

There are Windows fonts available for what you're looking for, such as this one. Not an endorsement, just a suggestion.
I was taking another path and looking at font editors a little while ago.

Time for a new sig line.
My LinkedIn Profile
Old 14th March 2008, 08:47 AM
Involved in Discussions

Thanks Given to Others: 32
Karma Power: 37
rmf180 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.rmf180 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.rmf180 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.rmf180 is appreciated, and has over 300 Karma points.

If you own a TI graphing calculator, the TI Connect program which is used to add or remove items from you calculator, loads fonts (TIxx) to your system. These fonts all contain the x-bar symbol. Those fonts are free if you have the TI Connect program.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:44 PM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Jun 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 31
Karma Power: 48
CalRich is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.CalRich is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.CalRich is appreciated, and has over 200 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Frank T. View Post

I use Equation Editor in excel and have never had a problem, as for a font that includes these characters don't know of any.

I do the same.

I once had the same dilemma to create these kind of characters in Word. For doing this in Word, however, there is a nifty way using equation fields. It essentially merges two characters together. It gets tricky when you try to do something like R bar bar (average of the average ranges).

http://www.apastyle.info/how-tos/x-bar-word-3.html
Thanks to CalRich for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis > Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools / Solutions > Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?