Have a nice Halloween!
Elsmar Cove Forum Header Graphic The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
NQA-USA
NQA-USA
Miner's MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Blog 
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > FMEA and Control Plans
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Search Elsmar
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
fmea - failure modes and effects analysis, fmea rankings, rpn (fmea risk priority number)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 19th March 2008, 05:29 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Oct 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 29
nsraj has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! How to Calculate RPN in Design FMEA (DFMEA) vs. Process FMEA (PFMEA)

Hi,

In FMEA normally we'll calcualte the RPN as Sev x Occ x Det,

but recently I came to know that in DFMEA the RPN calculation method is slightly difference. i.e.

First Calulate RPN for Failure Mode (RPN FM = Sev (Max) x Occ X Det(FM))

and then RPN for causes,

but in calculating RPN for causes, I was told the formula as

RPN C = Sev (max) x Occ x Det (Min (FM, Causes)

Example

Assuming
for Failure mode RPN FM = 5 X 5X 3 = 125

for cause 1 suppose if i get Sev = 5, Occ=5 and Det = 4,

I normally calculate as 5 x 5 x 4,

but i was told to calculate as 5 x 5 x 3(Det of FM)

is there any reference to this method???

nsr

Sponsored Links
Old 19th March 2008, 08:16 AM
Appreciated Member

Registration Date: Nov 2002

Thanks Given to Others: 59
Karma Power: 77
Valeri is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Valeri is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Valeri is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Valeri is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Valeri is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Valeri is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Valeri is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Valeri is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.Valeri is appreciated, and has over 1100 Karma points.
Re: How to Calculate RPN in Design FEMA (DFMEA) vs. Process FMEA (PFMEA)

Good morning,

I'm not quite sure where you found/heard that calculation for RPN but it should be the same (S)x(O)x(D)=RPN (severity x occurrence x detection = risk priority number) no matter if it's a DFMEA or PFMEA. Then again, maybe I'm not understanding the question

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Sponsored Links

Old 19th March 2008, 08:43 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,051
Thanked 6,002 Times in 3,821 Posts
Karma Power: 1532
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: How to Calculate RPN in Design FEMA (DFMEA) vs. Process FMEA (PFMEA)

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by nsraj View Post

Hi,

In FMEA normally we'll calcualte the RPN as Sev x Occ x Det,

but recently I came to know that in DFMEA the RPN calculation method is slightly difference. i.e.

First Calulate RPN for Failure Mode (RPN FM = Sev (Max) x Occ X Det(FM))

and then RPN for causes,

but in calculating RPN for causes, I was told the formula as

RPN C = Sev (max) x Occ x Det (Min (FM, Causes)

Example

Assuming
for Failure mode RPN FM = 5 X 5X 3 = 125

for cause 1 suppose if i get Sev = 5, Occ=5 and Det = 4,

I normally calculate as 5 x 5 x 4,

but i was told to calculate as 5 x 5 x 3(Det of FM)

is there any reference to this method???

nsr
I've never seen anything like it, and it seems to be a needless overcomplication of an already dubious practice.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 19th March 2008, 09:45 AM

Registration Date: Oct 2007

Thanks Given to Others: 1
Karma Power: 29
nsraj has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Re: How to Calculate RPN in Design FMEA (DFMEA) vs. Process FMEA (PFMEA)

Hi Jim

Thanx for the reply, me too thought the same, but wanna know if realy anything is there like that or not. If anybody come across such info pls pass it on

and Valeri,

let me put it in other way, do we need to calculate RPN for "Failure mode" Separately and RPN for its "causes" separately???
Old 19th March 2008, 09:50 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 2,051
Thanked 6,002 Times in 3,821 Posts
Karma Power: 1532

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by nsraj View Post

Hi Jim

Thanx for the reply, me too thought the same, but wanna know if realy anything is there like that or not. If anybody come across such info pls pass it on

and Valeri,

let me put it in other way, do we need to calculate RPN for "Failure mode" Separately and RPN for its "causes" separately???
You said that you "came to know" this method--from where? Unless you have a customer that requires it or you can find some utility in it in your own application, I would just stick to the SxOxD method and be done with it.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Thanks to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Old 12th November 2012, 09:52 PM

Registration Date: Nov 2012

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 8
parallel has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Hi

I have a slightly different doubt about RPN:

RPN=S x O x D

If S is more which is bad, is given maximum rating.
If O is more which is bad, is given maximum rating.
If D is more, which is good (prevents failure from reaching the customer), should we not give minimum rating?

This way priority will have balanced scale.

I know my thought does not tally with our conventional method of calculating RPN.

Please advice.
Old 13th November 2012, 12:24 AM
Never-say-die

Registration Date: Mar 2009

Thanks Given to Others: 212
Karma Power: 81
Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.Chennaiite is appreciated, and has over 1500 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by parallel View Post

Hi

I have a slightly different doubt about RPN:

RPN=S x O x D

If S is more which is bad, is given maximum rating.
If O is more which is bad, is given maximum rating.
If D is more, which is good (prevents failure from reaching the customer), should we not give minimum rating?

This way priority will have balanced scale.

I know my thought does not tally with our conventional method of calculating RPN.

Please advice.
Without getting into the semantics, please refer whichever rating criteria you have. I am sure it says 'lower the better' for Detection rating as well.

'Hope alone doesn't win battle. Honest evaluation of one's own weaknesses, followed by mitigation does'- Quoted
Old 13th November 2012, 08:21 PM

Registration Date: Nov 2012

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 8
parallel has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Thank you. However my doubt still remains.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > FMEA and Control Plans

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?