The Elsmar Cove Wiki More Free Files The Elsmar Cove Forums Discussion Thread Index Post Attachments Listing Failure Modes Services and Solutions to Problems Elsmar cove Forums Main Page Elsmar Cove Home Page
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > FMEA and Control Plans
Forum Username

Search the Elsmar Cove
Custom Search
Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Follow Marc & Elsmar
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed  Marc Smith's Google+ Page  Marc Smith's Linked In Page   Marc Smith's Elsmar Cove YouTube Page  Marc Smith's Facebook Page  Elsmar Cove Twitter Feed
Elsmar Cove Groups
Elsmar Cove Google+ Group  Elsmar Cove LinkedIn Group  Elsmar Cove Facebook Group
Sponsor Links

Donate and $ Contributor Forum Access
Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

Howard's
International Quality Services
Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting
Bob Doering's
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook
IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
Quality Digest Portal
IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology
ASQ - American Society for Quality

Related Topic Tags
pfmea (process fmea), dfmea (design fmea), key control characteristic (kcc - process)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
Old 6th June 2008, 08:46 PM
Email Address Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Jun 2008

Thanks Given to Others: 0
Karma Power: 0
mentor - 2013 has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Please Help! Critical or Significant Characteristics or Key Indicators Ranking

Good day to all,
I'm from the Asian country, this forum amaze me since it is quite informative and we can learn a lot in here.
I have here a concern regarding the 'CRITICAL OR SIGNIFICANT CHARACTERISTICS' ranking. Product team provide me the list of SC/CC of 25 items with only 4 items as classified as quality rank of A (according to costumer SCR requirement) and considered it as CC. But the rest of the items did not reflect any of its quality rank namely the AR, BS, B, C. Do i have the right to choose which among's those ranking in order to comply to the TS requirement according to its meaning? Do i consider the 21 items as SC then?

According to the book:
Critical Characteristics - Those characteritics that can affect compliance with the government regulations or safe product or service opeartion. These characteristics must be identified in the drawings and or procedures, as weel as om the FMEA form. Critical charateristics are defined by:
The courts = througth product liability
Regulatory agencies = through formal laws and or regulations
INdustrial standards = through generaly accepted practices in the industry
Customer requisition - through their wants, needs, and expectations
Internal engineering requirements = through historical datea or leading edge technology, or experience with product or service.

Significant characteristics = Qaulity features of a process or product or service on which data should be collected.These characteristics are identified by the consensus of the customer and supplier as well as the FMEA team.

Appreciate your inputs

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 6th June 2008, 09:19 PM
Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2004

Thanks Given to Others: 3,262
Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,752 Posts
Karma Power: 640
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jennifer Kirley is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Re: Critical or Significant characteristics or key Indicators

Welcome to the Cove! I am glad you like it..I do too!

We are NOT allowed to select our products' critical characteristics, or otherwise rank from just a list. We have tools to help with the task.

Critical means crucial to proper function or safety. It would be the o-ring sealing surface flatness and finish for a fuel system, and not the bracket that attaches a fuel line to the chassis. Ask "What is the risk to product failure or safety if this characteristic is not correct?" and you can separate your critical characteristics from the rest.

To learn more (and access attached tools) please read this thread:

DFMEA, PFMEA and KCC's

Then you can also look at the suggested threads at the bottom of the page.

"If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." Abraham Maslow

Last edited by Jennifer Kirley; 6th June 2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Added note to check out the similar discussion threads
Sponsored Links

Old 6th June 2008, 09:35 PM
Email Address Invalid or Rejected by Recipient System

Registration Date: Jun 2008

Karma Power: 0
mentor - 2013 has less than 100 Karma points so far.

Hello,

Agree with you maam, id like to point out that the given list is the product charateristics from my conterpart in japan product engineer side...My only concern here is how i could relate it to the current customer rank requirement, since this will be included in our FMEA and CP..

Thank you

By the way, can anybody here can provie a procedure on how to identify internally identified SC(manufacturing side),,
Old 14th April 2009, 11:04 AM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Jun 2007

Karma Power: 28
spitubbe has less than 100 Karma points so far.

For my Ford customer, my DFMEA lists a couple of YS's. Do I need to include these on my PFMEA? In this case we are concerned about thickness in a couple areas. I do not have a gage that would measure any type of variable data.
Old 14th April 2009, 11:15 AM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,158
Thanked 4,461 Times in 3,156 Posts
Karma Power: 1516
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by spitubbe View Post

For my Ford customer, my DFMEA lists a couple of YS's. Do I need to include these on my PFMEA? In this case we are concerned about thickness in a couple areas. I do not have a gage that would measure any type of variable data.
Those can not be ignored and should be included and addressed in your PFMEA, Control Plan and possibly Work Instructions. You may be aware that the purpose of (initial) feasibility review is to address issues such as the gage you've mentioned.

Stijloor.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:03 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: Jan 2005

Thanks Given to Others: 1,982
Thanked 5,832 Times in 3,728 Posts
Karma Power: 1509
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Jim Wynne is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by spitubbe View Post

What's a YS?

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. --Upton Sinclair
Old 14th April 2009, 12:11 PM
Cross Forum Moderator

Registration Date: May 2003

Thanks Given to Others: 3,158
Thanked 4,461 Times in 3,156 Posts
Karma Power: 1516
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.
Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.Stijloor is appreciated, and has over 1700 Karma points.

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

What's a YS?
Ford, in their specific FMEA Manual defines it as: "A potential Significant Characteristic (Initiate PFMEA).

Stijloor.
Old 4th September 2009, 02:29 PM
Shy Poster (1 to 5 Posts)

Registration Date: Apr 2009

Karma Power: 21
Ellwood has less than 100 Karma points so far.
Thumbs up Re: Critical or Significant Characteristics or Key Indicators Ranking

What is the normal process for identifying SC&CCs? Does it start with the DFMEA? or before that?

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Forum > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > FMEA and Control Plans

Do you find this discussion thread helpful and informational?